Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elvisish

Sdl2-branch windows binary?

Having trouble running the regular Choc Doom at the moment with a dodgy graphics driver and want to try the hardware based scaling version that will eventually be in Choc Doom 3, does anyone have a binary of Sdl2-branch?

Altazimuth said:

You'll probably need the Visual C++ 2015 redist. If this doesn't fix it then please get back to this thread, telling us what the exact error message is.

I have it on, the error is 'the application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)'

Hrmm. Not sure about that one, though I've seen people mention checking issues with dependencies using Dependency Walker.

EDIT: Hold on, ucrtbased.dll is the problem here. If memory serves that means that the exe provided is a debug build, and therefore requires debug libraries on your system (which implies having Visual Studio 2015). I don't have build set up for Chocolate Doom so I can't provide you with one I built, but it might be a good idea to find a build that was made using the release configuration.

Altazimuth said:

Hrmm. Not sure about that one, though I've seen people mention checking issues with dependencies using Dependency Walker.

EDIT: Hold on, ucrtbased.dll is the problem here. If memory serves that means that the exe provided is a debug build, and therefore requires debug libraries on your system (which implies having Visual Studio 2015). I don't have build set up for Chocolate Doom so I can't provide you with one I built, but it might be a good idea to find a build that was made using the release configuration.

Thanks for the info, is there some place with binaries of various builds of Sdl2-branch?

If so, I wouldn't know. Sorry I can't help here. It might be useful to ask Jon directly, as he is the one who built the exe that you were trying to run.

chungy said:

I've built one with mingw-w64, no MSVC Runtime should be needed: https://chungy.keybase.pub/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom_sdl2-branch_d4703c13.zip

Perfect, thank you that works great! I had to use this branch as the regular chocolate doom is running slowly, along with Adobe software and a few audio plugins GUI's. One of the plugins GUI's works properly if I disable GPU acceleration, but on the other's I can't change that. What's specifically different about Chocolate Doom regular and this branch? I might be able to troubleshoot the problem I'm having with these other apps if I can find out why this branch works smoothly.

What's different is in the name, it uses SDL 2.0 for hardware and OS support rather than 1.2, and it actually *adds* GPU acceleration to the scaling.

Your Adobe software is almost certainly an unrelated, albeit coincidental, issue.

chungy said:

What's different is in the name, it uses SDL 2.0 for hardware and OS support rather than 1.2, and it actually *adds* GPU acceleration to the scaling.

Your Adobe software is almost certainly an unrelated, albeit coincidental, issue.

That's exactly what I'm thinking, I have discovered today via windows memory diagnostic that my RAM has a problem, so maybe that could be related?

Indeed, bad RAM will never result in nice things regardless of OS or software. Replace it as soon as possible.

chungy said:

Indeed, bad RAM will never result in nice things regardless of OS or software. Replace it as soon as possible.

Should be tomorrow, hopefully all these problems will go away afterwards!

I remember noticing that Adobe Photoshop didn't play well with Chocolate Doom, but it was so long ago that I don't even remember what lagged and when (let alone the versions of the software).

Probably an unrelated problem anyway.

I haven't rebuild it recently, but I'm hoping to get automatic builds set up on every commit via visualstudio.com