Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marxr

Mafia 3

Looks promising, I enjoyed the previous games and honestly hope this is going to be good.

I also hope for an actual free roam as well.

I'll be waiting, got mafia 2 for pc and it won't run for me. I'v already got a big enough backlog anyway.

Dammit I was hoping this would be a signup for another round of Doomworld mafia.

Executions are practically Manhunt levels of brutal, gunplay looks really fun. I never played the first one but I thought the second was OK, had its moments but they were few and far between amidst a lot of boring and slow sections and the hand-to-hand combat was ass.

Sequel bought out by a bigger studio? Check.
Western journalist bait? Check.
Standard AAA TPS borefest? Check.

Bonus round: writers rage against Trump and retweet the GamerGate snake oil peddlers on Twitter, as they proudly flaunt their Mafia 3 avatars.

Not holding my breath.

Phml, lol

It looks pretty good tho, and you can get a key from ebay for about 30, i will probably get this, Mafia 1 was one of the best games ever and 2 was not bad either.

Most likely not.

I really liked the first one, but I grew tired of this genre.
Driving around some random city shooting dumb bullet sponge enemies got pretty boring after dozens of derivate games.

Phml, doesn't your list cover a rushed release with tons of bugs and glitches?

Believe it or not, my post originally included a rant predicting technical issues. But then, making such a guess about a hyped up open-world AAA game is about as impressive as foreseeing the sun will go up tomorrow.

Copy-pasted from the Mafia 3 port thread over at AJ forums..

The game currently suffers from.....

Blurry textures and screen, possibly from either texture upscaling (that's running the textures on a lower resolution and scaling it up to your native) or FXAA which is impossible to turn off.
Reports of crashes.
Reports of game showing blank button prompts when using controllers.
UI does not scale properly on anything other than 1920x1080.
Reports of graphical glitches and the weather instantly changing once every 10 seconds.
Clunky M+KB controls.

This is why I am wary about many AAA games and the state of affairs in the game industry now. This bullshit policy of "Release now, Patch later" has to stop, that and poor PC ports needs to stop as well.

Mafia 1 was an absolute masterpiece and Mafia 2 was good although it definitely had its fair share of issues (Most characters being unlikable, bunch of content being locked out for DLC, 2 of which came out immediately after release)
3 doesn't seem like a complete shitshow but it also has more than its share of problems, still the story and soundtrack seem good enough and the graphics and animation while inconsistent ingame are terrific in cutscenes, the brutality of the combat is also a nice touch.

Glaice said:

Copy-pasted from the Mafia 3 port thread over at AJ forums..

[I]The game currently suffers from.....

Blah whatever I read it

This is why I am wary about many AAA games and the state of affairs in the game industry now. This bullshit policy of "Release now, Patch later" has to stop, that and poor PC ports needs to stop as well.

I had a worried feeling..

Avoid this game at all cost, for what the game offers is waaaaay to expensive.

The game is not optimized by any means, the gameplay is boring as hell, the money system is worthless no reasson to buy any weapon or anything at all.

They tried to fix the mistakes from Mafia 2 and made things worst, IE:
In Mafia 2 the Cops were like GODS, if you were driving just a little faster or were in the wrong lane they will chase you like there is no tomorrow, if you got in a shootout with them, they were like Agents from the Matrix.
Now in Mafia 3 they don't do nothing, they hardly chase you (Except Scripted chases), they don't care if you crash in the street or nothing they just DON'T CARE.

In Mafia 2, trying to sneak was next to impossible, they had 360 field of view.... Now you can sneak kill a mafioso a few meters from his friend and they won't notice it...

This review more or less sums up the problems with this game. It's amazing how they created this surprisingly huge world and have virtually nothing to do in it. Also the atrocious AI and severe lack of mission variety (black guy goes on someone's turf and shoots them and/or all their friends in the face: the game).

I wasn't really that into the second game and the review on that one sums up everything I found wrong with that game as well. I never played the first but I hear it's a flawed classic, with strong narrative and emotion, with so-so gameplay.

While it's not fair to compare this series to GTA I find the city being a backdrop to the story not terribly interesting. It's not really a gamey-game to play and have fun and all these activities to participate in, it's strictly narrative and sometimes I think it forgets its game with some of the incredibly realistic driving, rules of the road and police response, and the menial tasks that fill up most of the story missions (not counting all the cutscenes). II's strength was the shooting and it hardly utilized it, whereas the third game is shootouts all the time and they manage to get repetitive fast.

I find amazing that they did a review without ending the game.. "because the game is apparently infinity hours long", game is quite short.
1)Do Damage
2)Lure the Boss Out
3)Kill Boss
4)Repeat until you get a special mission.

Also it seems they miss the point here

"So you don’t pick based on loyalty, or narrative, but on a skill tree. But a skill tree that hates itself, with chains getting pissed off when you pick the others."

If the guy who reviewd Mafia 3,had done a playthrough till the end of the game, he would know, that is part of the history that Skill tree.

About Mafia 1, was not a bad game at all (In fact better than 2 and 3), the issue was people thinking it was a GTA 3 clone and was expecting it to behave like one, when it was it's own game and rules. That's why when people got owned by the Police was upset because "HEY THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN IN GTA 3!!!".