Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spectre01

Bad maps in good wads

BoJustBo said:

I really liked the speedrunning map (map28) in Scythe, it should probably have been the final level though since it's super hard, but also because map30 is probably the worst doom level I have ever forced my way through (big hater of slaughter maps here.)

It would have worked well as a secret map32 with a beefed up Chaos Zone taking the 28 spot. Run From It is just too radically different from the rest of the wad to be part of normal progression.

rileymartin said:

It would have worked well as a secret map32 with a beefed up Chaos Zone taking the 28 spot. Run From It is just too radically different from the rest of the wad to be part of normal progression.

I actually liked Run From It, it felt like something from cyberdreams.

rileymartin said:

Thats probably true.
Being radically different goes for map 30 and that other slaughter map aswell. the megawad just went crazy near the end considering most of the other levels were very vanilla-ish.

SoD Map16. You come up with an idea for a map like this and you already know it's going to suck even before opening the editor.

Agreed. Also not keen on maps 01-15 and 17-26. I guess 31 is semi-decent, from a distance.

Plutonia Map28 was nowhere near as good as the rest of it in my opinion. It didn't feel like it fitted in at all - long and pretty dull save for one or two encounters.

Agree with Scythe map28, it was just an annoying gimmick.

All the cyberspace maps in HacX. What utter shite. I love some of the other maps though :D

Same with the music, some tracks are very good and a few are just ... unbearable. Very inconsistent quality in that game.

VGA said:

All the cyberspace maps in HacX. What utter shite. I love some of the other maps though :D

Same with the music, some tracks are very good and a few are just ... unbearable. Very inconsistent quality in that game.

Very true. One map could be great but the next map would look like I was told to do it in DEU.

VGA said:

All the cyberspace maps in HacX. What utter shite.

Oh yeah definitely. I would have made those levels secret levels rather than part of the campaign.
I recently FINALLY finished map10: anarchist's dream. Wtf was that? The most irritating part of that map was this maze-like section with different blinking lights on each sector of that place. Fucking eye rape, I tell you. Forced to use the light amplifier cheats.

Not my own bad maps, but I have a small compilation of maps that I have seen make people freak out on streams.

Sunder: Precarious
Doom 2: Downtown
Alien Vendetta: Demonic Hordes
Plutonia: Well Of Souls
Reverie: Tech Towers

38_ViTa_38 said:

TNT MAP09 (should it really have that many hitscanners?), 12 (very big and very empty for some reason), 18 (empty too), 20 and 21, 22 (was it even tested?), 25 (why does it even have that coop skip?), 31 because of yellow key bug.

But tnt isn't a good wad, it doesn't belong to this thread.

Not a fan of maps with mandatory switches that could be mistaken for decoration. Case in point, Spirit World in Doom 2 and Map 3 of Suspended in Dusk.

Dime said:

Not my own bad maps, but I have a small compilation of maps that I have seen make people freak out on streams.

Plutonia: Well Of Souls

Really, Well of Souls? That's quite something if an IWAD map02 makes someone freak out these days.

I absolutely love Speed of Doom, easily my favourite megawad (the first 2/3 anyway). It doesn't mean I like everything in it though. Maps 21, 23, 27 and 29 can all piss off imo (sorry Josh).

They rely way too much on unpredictable traps, absolutely dickish monster placement, lack of cover, and beating them on UV without saves pretty much requires you to know the maps like the back of your hand. And I hate tyson maps too, so the first half of 21 really is a pain.

Whenever I died in these maps I just felt angry and ready to give up, but when I died in the inbetween Darkwave maps, I didn't feel discouraged at all, I just wanted to get right back to it and give it another go.

They aren't terrible, they look beautiful, but the gameplay just isn't good at all.

Ancalagon said:

But tnt isn't a good wad, it doesn't belong to this thread.

Booo.
But more seriously: Map 8's final part is di**ish. Way too open to attacks in there.
Map 21 is schizophrenic. The outside part is nothing alike the earlier indoors. They should be separated. Likewise for map 27 (what a LOOOOOONG map...)
Map 23 and 24 should be earlier. They are much shorter and easier than some of the middle maps (Crater, Dead Zone, Deepest Reaches, and of course Central Processing to name a few).
Also: everyone is jumping on The Habitat's hate bandwagon, but nobody really cares to give reasons.

shotfan said:

Also: everyone is jumping on The Habitat's hate bandwagon, but nobody really cares to give reasons.

half the map is 128-wide sewer maze filled with single-file zombies the other is rectangles with squiggly lines meant to pass as natural shapes. The map can also crash the default EXE without too much trouble due to all the moving floors. You can skip straight to the end using a brainless sequence break. The whole thing feels like a 12 year old's first map.

Buteau a least made a decent map01 in Icarus.

Habitat is the map with the fake wall that is mandatory for progression, right?

Easily one of the most retarded official maps I have ever played.

Finally, you two posted some substance for claiming that TNT's map22 is the worst.

That fake wall hiding a blue keycard is not really mandatory, since the platform in slime pit can be bypassed, and exit be reached without any keys.
Tunnels never bothered me, but the technical issues are rather serious accusations. Now I kind of understand the hate, but I do not identify with it. Then again, not everyone shares my hatred for Doom 2's The Chasm, so a different poison for each one, I guess.

I'm dont see anything remarkably bad about habitat compared to the rest of the wad. My memory could be fuzzy but I don't recall most the maps in evilution being very good.

I may have skipped most of it with the sequence break marcaek described too though.

I've always seen Habitat as a highly unique and memorable map. And that maze is amazing imo. Some authors are very good at making mazes seem much more complex than they really are (when you look at the automap view you get surprised by just how simple it actually is). I think that's a cool feeling.