Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flesh420

Here's John Romero playing and commenting on his recent Doom level

This is awesome! I love that Romero talks a lot about what he (and id) made working on doom (in general not just in this video). I always enjoy listening to his commentary.

The first time that i played the level i didn't got any of the references to the old levels, but now i can't unsee some of them. As always it's fascinating to hear him talk about al the tought put in the level design.

Great stuff by mr. Romero

As much as the map is great and the video is certainly nice to watch and informative, it should be pointed out that there's an error right at the beginning. John explains that the candelabra in the starting area should be used to protect yourself from projectiles, but he seems to have forgotten that obstacles like this one didn't offer protection from projectiles in the original Doom. ZDoom has a compatflag that allows to activate this old behavior, but it's off by default, so if you always play with ZDoom you might never know about this. Firing this map up in a limit-removing port that doesn't alter the gameplay exposes the error.

It's not anything serious, as the player will either have the projectile block enabled and use the candelabra as protection or be aware that it offers none and use a different strategy without thinking much about the intended purpose of the item. I guess you can forget some details about your own game if the previous level you designed was 20 years before.

Zalewa said:

it should be pointed out that there's an error right at the beginning. John explains that the candelabra in the starting area should be used to protect yourself from projectiles, but he seems to have forgotten that obstacles like this one didn't offer protection from projectiles in the original Doom.

Noticed this myself, and even if he was playing in ZDoom most other limit-removing ports don't make this possible to my knowledge so yeah this strategy, while good to know about in ZDoom, isn't gonna work in something like PrBoom+ which IIRC keeps the original behavior for objects.

How is it in Doomsday? Because in older videos he was using that port.

This is really cool. I really like watching Romero talking about Doom design and his thought processes. His commentary is very insightful

I know that E1M8b isn't suppposed to work with vanilla etc, but I gave it a run through with the Doom Classic port (from the BFG edition) and everything was fine until the Baron encounter, where the portals are glitched and framerate drops when near them. And some glitches on the screen like HOMs or something.

Also saving is not foolproof, the port crashes when I try to load the save I made in that room, although previously in the map loading worked. Running it on HMP.

So, what kind of bug is it, out of curiosity?