Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vita

Hyphens in categories

Why would you use that? For example, UV-Max (or even UV-MAX) reads like Ultra-Violence-Max, while UV Max reads like Ultra-Violence Max. -max parameter doesn't even exist, that is why I'm ok with UV -fast or UV -respawn (with spaces, of course).

The standardization ministry of speedrunning lingo would call it a 100% run. UV speed would be any%. No hyphens.

Aqfaq said:

The standardization ministry of speedrunning lingo would call it a 100% run. UV speed would be any%. No hyphens.

Nah, any% would be itytd speed, and 100% would probably be uv 100k/100i/100s, on uv because there are more enemies generally.

Oh god, I was hoping we'd be able to avoid this debate. Now a schism is inevitable and the speed community will collapse into warring fractions. It was nice knowing you, gentlemen!

After reconsidering the issue, I propose more hyphens to make it look more advanced and professional. UV----MAX, UV----SPEED, TY----SON, etc. Looks slee----k and spee----dy!

How about using plus signs instead to symbolize the synergy between skill and category, while also emphasizing the positive effort of the speedrunner? UV+Max...

Also there should be quotation marks around UV in case of pacifist and nomonster, because frankly, it's false advertising.

UV-Max
UV-Speed
UV-Fast
UV-Respawn
Tyson
NoMo
NM-Speed
NM-100s

Is Pacifist a category separate or a modifier of any category? Like UV-Fast + Pacifist
I ask because I suppose it's possible to run on UV or on NM for Pacifist, in that case:

UV-Pacifist
NM-Pacifist

Rayzik said:

UV-Max
UV-Speed
UV-Fast
UV-Respawn
Tyson
NoMo
NM-Speed
NM-100s

Is Pacifist a category separate or a modifier of any category? Like UV-Fast + Pacifist
I ask because I suppose it's possible to run on UV or on NM for Pacifist, in that case:

UV-Pacifist
NM-Pacifist

Pacifist is a separate category on DSDA but conversely, a lot of runs are something else plus a modifier, e.g. NM-Speed (+ Pacifist) so its a grey area

With a hyphen your eyes immediately see it as a single entity. With a space you brain has to stop and think for a split second ("ok, this is a new word, but it is modifying the previous one"). So I think it's a little more convenient for the reader when there is a hyphen.

I think the main confusion is that the category names themselves are used both as nouns and adjectives, and further even used as half and half within themselves.

"Watch my UV-Max demos." < adjective
"Most of my demos are UV-Max." < noun as adjective
"That demo is not a valid UV-Max." < noun (you could add 'demo' after UV-Max, but it functions fine by itself)

I prefer the hyphen because both elements of the category name are nouns being used as adjectives, but aren't coordinate. Therefore using a hyphen maintains the entire category name as one compound noun instead of two separate things.

rehelekretep, Memfis & Rayzik: I see difficulty names, categories (Speed, Max, Max Secrets, Max weapons/collector), parameters (-fast, -respawn, -nomonsters, -solo-net and -turbo) and self-imposed restrictions (unless a map was designed for that) or modifiers (Pacifist, Reality, Tyson or weapon(s) X only, Stroller) as separate things, that's why I prefer spaces instead of hyphens. Difficulty names, parameters and modifiers could be used as adjectives, while categories could be used as nouns only.

"Most of my UV Maxes are with -fast." — UV and -fast are adjectives, Maxes is noun
"That UV Speed is also Pacifist." — Pacifist is adjective

Yousuf Anik: why post then?

38_ViTa_38 said:

Yousuf Anik: why post then?

Huh? Most people use hyphen, so far what I've seen. So doesn't it look good when use hyphen? Just asking.

Don't forget about the most confusing of all: TAS speedruns! As in, tool assisted speedrun speedruns...

They could be called TASes, tool-assisted demos or tool-assisted Doom .lmps, though.