Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The_SloVinator

A weird thing about me in Doom

I dunno how this makes sense but it seems that the different position of the weapon does make it more satisfying for me.

Here are two screenshots:

Shooting from this weapon position is more fun for me...

than from this.

Anybody else got this similar thing?

It is no gameplay changing thing & it doesn't appear in advanced source ports, like ZDoom or GZDoom. Only on Vanilla & PrBoom.

Gun aesthetic, as well as location, sound effects, framerate and movements all play part in player satisfaction. It's for that reason that projects like Smooth Doom exist.

Soldier993 said:

I dunno how this makes sense but it seems that the different position of the weapon does make it more satisfying for me.

Here are two screenshots:

Shooting from this weapon position is more fun for me...
https://i.gyazo.com/5fcdefcab84aa5a9a09a00462678d84b.png

than from this.
https://i.gyazo.com/5118ce596653b56a356f15fb71acdb1d.png

Anybody else got this similar thing?

It is no gameplay changing thing & it doesn't appear in advanced source ports, like ZDooM or GZDooM. Only on Vanilla & PrBoom.

Yeah, I get it. The offset one feels a bit more realistic, as if you were holding the gun on your right side. It would always be a bit to the right of your view, if you're holding the gun naturally.

The fact you notice this is cool - it means that you get immersed with the game, as if you're Doom Guy, which is why id put the gun there on the screen - to suggest that you are the one shooting. Awesome!

Blastfrog said:

Aren't you forgetting Eternity?

Never used it, though I heard about it.

kb1 said:

Yeah, I get it. The offset one feels a bit more realistic, as if you were holding the gun on your right side. It would always be a bit to the right of your view, if you're holding the gun naturally.

The fact you notice this is cool - it means that you get immersed with the game, as if you're Doom Guy, which is why id put the gun there on the screen - to suggest that you are the one shooting. Awesome!

It's not always on the right, it can be offset on the left or the middle too, depends on where your gun is bobbing.

I wasn't clear enough but good point, nonetheless.

Soldier993 said:

It is no gameplay changing thing & it doesn't appear in advanced source ports, like ZDoom or GZDoom. Only on Vanilla & PrBoom.

Why wouldn't it appear in advanced ports? It nothing more than a simple change in the x and y offset values.

If it works in vanilla, it should work in advanced ports.

Soldier993 is right, though. ZDoom changed the behavior to always put weapons to the center of the screen when they're fired, and there doesn't seem to be any way to revert the behavior to the vanilla one.

Guest Unregistered account

I always preferred it when the weapon auto-aligns itself, especially in Deathmatch - but I will admit there is a bit of satisfaction in making the gun go as far down as it will go, then firing. I can't explain why.