Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angst929

Ultimate Doom: Episode 1 Nightmare! Guide (Video)

I know that a lot of people struggle with Nightmare! so I wanted to try and post some of the strategies that I use to get through it. This is for Episode 1 of Ultimate Doom and is a single segment run minus messing up with the Rocket Launcher on E1M8.

Most people, myself included, don't have the skill necessary to use the strategies used in top quality speed runs. As a more casual, average player, these have helped me. Hopefully you can find some use for them as well!

https://youtu.be/cbta7wnEgeA

This is actually really good.

Interested to see parts the next few episodes!

Will we see Doom 2/Final Doom as well? :P.

I'mm glad you liked it!

Doom 2 is a maybe, if I ever find a way to reliably beat it on NM. Wouldn't count on Final Doom though, haha.

I'm presently extremely busy, but I'll get the next few parts up as soon as I can.

Nice guide, although I don't like using SR50 on E1M4. IMO it's pretty easy without it.
You didn't mention E4 in the video, are you not planning on doing it?

Great guide, this was a really enjoyable watch. I don't think I've ever made it past E1M4 on nightmare before.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I will be posting an E2 video soon. I have it recorded and just need to find the time to do the commentary over it.

As for E4, I will try to do it at some point. It's the hardest episode to run on NM and I'm not really consistent at it yet. I'll post it when I figure out a decent way to get it done consistently. E4M1, E4M2 and E4M6 are very tough as you can imagine.

Angst929 said:

As for E4, I will try to do it at some point. It's the hardest episode to run on NM and I'm not really consistent at it yet.

I don't think beating E4 on Nightmare consistently is even a thing, unless we're talking about like 50% consistency, but even that seems kinda high :)

IMO, if you've beaten E4 a few times on NM and are willing to share some strategy tips that sounds good enough to me, because I haven't even beaten it with savegames yet: I barely got through E4M1 and just can't imagine beating E4M2.

Rathori said:

I don't think beating E4 on Nightmare consistently is even a thing, unless we're talking about like 50% consistency, but even that seems kinda high :)

IMO, if you've beaten E4 a few times on NM and are willing to share some strategy tips that sounds good enough to me, because I haven't even beaten it with savegames yet: I barely got through E4M1 and just can't imagine beating E4M2.

BFG Grab with the jump past the Blue door is pretty much the easiest way to beat E4M2 on NM. It's tough though, that's for sure.

I don't like speedrunning tricks when used on nightmare. It's more exciting to play or watch something without such tricks. Case in point: E1M4 without that jump (I can't even do it yet). Passing through the grey maze is exciting and not excessively hard either. I also dislike seeing E4M2 armour grab, or E4M3 jumping straight towards the exit… I'm afraid not even ZDoom can disable these tricks.

Rathori said:

I barely got through E4M1

E4M1 is so ridiculously hard it's funny: you constantly hear teleporting noises, both from respawning and from teleportation/warp-in.

printz said:

I don't like speedrunning tricks when used on nightmare. It's more exciting to play or watch something without such tricks. Case in point: E1M4 without that jump (I can't even do it yet). Passing through the grey maze is exciting and not excessively hard either. I also dislike seeing E4M2 armour grab, or E4M3 jumping straight towards the exit… I'm afraid not even ZDoom can disable these tricks.
E4M1 is so ridiculously hard it's funny: you constantly hear teleporting noises, both from respawning and from teleportation/warp-in.

Anyone who can beat E4 on Nighmare! without tricks and saves has my respect. I'm certainly not good enough to do it and it seems borderline impossible.