Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termrork

Rare mapping techniques

Since just today I discovered this:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/70949-elevator-doors-aka-foxpups-stupid-vanilla-tricks/
I was wondering what else I missed on the frontier of vanilla mapping techniques.
Do you know any other nice mapping jewels that other might now know? (I am personally only interested in vanilla compatible stuff, if you post something not compatible with vanilla, please write it explicitly)

what comes to my mind right now is:

-ghost monsters
-"deep" water
-double ceiling
-dummy doomguy & instant death
-fast elevators
-crystal sectors (invisible bridge)

Usually the donut action has simple uses like in E2M2, but you also can have seemingly unrelated sectors moving at the same time if you make a donut somewhere outside of the level and merge these sectors with it. It's a bit of a pain to set up because you have to pay attention to linedef numbering, and I guess in most cases you can simply put two triggers next to each other to achieve the same effect, but it has its uses. I guess it hasn't been done much because donuts are highly unpopular in general.

I'm working on a WAD that demonstrates vanilla tricks. The first level will be a map like BOOMEDIT that shows off mapping tricks like bridges, second will be a DeHackEd showcase.

VGA said:

Interesting, please post it when it's done.

Nice to see someone is interested. I'm looking for input on the map design, should it be a linear hallway like MBFEDIT or have more variety like BOOMEDIT?

Why not a spoke design? So the player can go directly to the effect that he wants to check out. Since this is mostly for testing source ports and checking out how things are done in a map editor, right?

Send me a beta if you want, I am a reasonably experienced source port user.

VGA said:

Why not a spoke design? So the player can go directly to the effect that he wants to check out. Since this is mostly for testing source ports and checking out how things are done in a map editor, right?

Send me a beta if you want, I am a reasonably experienced source port user.

Sent you a link in a PM. I'll make a spoke design for the main room after I add some more textures.

I am very interested to see this wad in action. There's nothing quite like having an example wad, and there's so many techniques that have been developed over the years, that it would be nice to see a bunch of them in one place.

thank you all for your nice suggestions.
due to account changes I was sadly not able to answer you until now. thanks a lot again, I have already used some techniques you proposed!