Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

Butcher, new bad ass indie game that borrows a lot from Doom.

Recommended Posts

This game is fucking awesome... Contra blended with Quake 2's art direction for the techbase segments... the jungle episode and the guerrilla-esque gameplay gives me a big Rambo: First Blood vibe, combined with Doom's cartoonish violence, an evil protagonist that's strikingly close to Arnold from Terminator.. topped with devs that don't hide behind "retro" to half to half ass the beautiful layouts and visuals.

It's a really good game, if you don't atleast check it out then you're doing youself a disservice.. there's a lot more to the game than what they advertise.

It's a pity they balanced it since release, though.

Share this post


Link to post

The style and colors remind me of Abuse with graphics of a typical 90's garage game developer.

Share this post


Link to post

"Clense the Earth of human vermin"

Why is nobody complaining about how 2edgy, disgusting and repulsive this game is!??! This is clearly made by neo-Nazis and it destroys the mainstream image of video games that we've worked so hard to build! #OFFENDED

Share this post


Link to post
ASD said:

The style and colors remind me of Abuse with graphics of a typical 90's garage game developer.

That's kinda how I described it to someone. It looks like Abuse but with the resolution of Risk of Rain.

Share this post


Link to post

@touchdown, maybe because it takes place in a post-apocalypse like setting rather in a modern day suburban civilian like setting to in which we've real tragedy's that happen all to often.

Share this post


Link to post
Pedro VC said:

Everything looks very small.


I was thinking that and it seems like the low-res look might work against that.

Share this post


Link to post

Looking way too low-rez there. Have a hard time telling what those sprites are supposed to be. Oh and not an FPS/10.

Share this post


Link to post

Looks great.

ASD said:

The style and colors remind me of Abuse with graphics of a typical 90's garage game developer.

My thoughts exactly. Looks like a cross between Abuse and Damage.

Share this post


Link to post

Its hard to see in the video But it feels very Software rendered. Just the way the pixels move.

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone here remember the game Hatred? Yeah, I don't either. Butcher looks friggen sweet! :)

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like Metal Slug, Contra and Manhunt had a ménage à trois.

Share this post


Link to post

I've played this for 1.5 hours and completed the first two worlds (ok I lied, I've beaten the first one and 3 out of 4 levels in the second) and have mixed feelings about it. It reminds me of Hotline Miami 2 - extremely flashy and gory but the difficulty is usually less about being good and more about happening to get lucky with AI behaviour. A lot of the difficulty comes from how zoomed out the camera is coupled with the tiny character sprites, how fast projectiles are and how much damage they do to you. The camera is its biggest issue since in addition to making it hard to see enemies precision aiming is a pain because of how small everything is. This isn't helped by the decision of ammo being scarce (Edit: that trailer posted above with the quick cuts of the player spraying machinegun fire everywhere is pretty misleading) as this makes most encounters boil down to finding temporal camping spots and exchanging pot shots with enemies so you don't run out and are forced to resort to the chainsaw.
Too bad since the graphics/sound/music are very good and it could've been a good mindless game if they hadn't focused on making it an ~~indie hardcore gamer experience.~~

Share this post


Link to post
Touchdown said:

"Clense the Earth of human vermin"

You play as a super humanoid protagonist that's clearly inspired by Terminator.. if you put it into context I'm pretty sure that's the exact terminology you'd hear them use when referencing us. ;P

MrSkeltal said:

A lot of the difficulty comes from how zoomed out the camera is coupled with the tiny character sprites, how fast projectiles are and how much damage they do to you. The camera is its biggest issue since in addition to making it hard to see enemies precision aiming is a pain because of how small everything is.

I've already beat it, about to finish it on the second difficulty, before an enemy shoots there's an exclamation mark above their heads, and exactly 0.5 second delay before they shoot, whenever a bullet hits them this timer resets to about 0.7 seconds, git gud! ;)

Share this post


Link to post

So that's what the exclamation marks mean. Because of my playstyle I only saw them when shooting enemies without them dying and thought it meant they were stunned and wouldn't attack. So I was half-right!!!1

Share this post


Link to post
MrGlide said:

@touchdown, maybe because it takes place in a post-apocalypse like setting rather in a modern day suburban civilian like setting to in which we've real tragedy's that happen all to often.


I don't find it wrong or offensive. And if you do... it's fine, because it's ok for games (and other forms of expression) to do things that some disagree with or are turned off by.

Share this post


Link to post
Touchdown said:

I don't find it wrong or offensive. And if you do... it's fine, because it's ok for games (and other forms of expression) to do things that some disagree with or are turned off by.

It's counter productive, it doesn't intelligently depict a social burden, but rather glorifies senseless Rampagism. We learn nothing from this experience, it doesn't even properly delve into any of the mentality or mental process to in which this situation unfolds, it's a cheap hustle of a crap game that solely rides on it's edgelord appeal. I bet you're a real big Stephen king fan.

Share this post


Link to post

Sometimes I like to play games that are mindless slaughterfests with nothing intelligent to say about humanity or social problems. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't need games to accurately depict real life or to teach me how to be a decent human being.

Share this post


Link to post
Touchdown said:

Sometimes I like to play games that are mindless slaughterfests with nothing intelligent to say about humanity or social problems. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't need games to accurately depict real life or to teach me how to be a decent human being.


Then don't?

I mean, cool I guess?

This is kind of a weird point to make in a Doom forum of all places.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×