Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

How do you imagine the interpersonal relationships of the demons?

Sgt Ender said:

Imp standing right next to a Baron of Hell in a preparation lineup, both of them having different thoughts:

Imp:

Spoiler

Oh man, what is that big guy thinking about even? Does he even notice us smaller troops down here? How is he so cool?

Baron:
Spoiler

Meow meow meow meow meow meow kill all humans meow meow meow meow.

Hahahahaha, what if the hierarchy of monsters was actually completely backwards. The Icon of Sin is actually simply used for harvesting monsters, and the REAL mastermind behind the invasion?

........Zombiemen.

Except Zombiemen suffer the worst casualties by far. Does not seem like what a leader allow themselves to do... not to mention, leaders are typically recruited from the most elite ranks. Even Chaingunners are far from that.

Zombies are zombies, they don't really possess feelings.
Imp/Pinky -- the workhorse guys, everyone hates them, but noone can really live without them. These two guys themselves secretly hate everyone "above" them, but are still forced to obey. They're not so abstinent towards each other, though!
Spectre -- just a smart-ass Pinky.
Lost Soul -- IMO these guys are just souls of deceased monsters. They might've been Barons while they were alive. But, you know, life is harsh sometimes.
Cacodemon -- not workhorses like Imps, but not really ari$$tocrats like Barons. The ordinary citizens.
PE -- the servants of Hell society's spiritual side, like monks of some sort. They devote their life to serving Lucifer (or whoever) and they act as mediums, giving the aforementioned LS's another chance to live. Also, as a "reward" for devoted servitude (does that word even exist?) they get arms.
Revenant -- some monsters, when they die, don't leave just a soul behind, but a skeleton AND a soul in it.
HK/Baron -- similar to Caco/PE, but the Barons are more respected. Their servitude to Lucifer (or whoever) grants them 2x endurance in combat. They are in charge of stuff. They're powerful. They're feared. They are the ari$$tocrats of Hellish society. They sound cooler, too.
Archvile -- if PE's are monks, AV's are priests. Their social status is similar to the one of the Barons. But they are also kinda clever.
Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind -- these guys are like presidents. They rule. Because of that, they can often get mad at each other. They have god-like status. Demons bow down to their knees... or whatever the Spider has instead. People truly stand in awe of them.
Icon of Sin -- not a demon IMO. Just a factory.

Wolfenstein SS -- in 1945, while the Nazis were collapsing, the leaders of Hell made a deal with Hitler to keep some of his remaining soldiers alive waiting for the upcoming invasion. For some reason, their "realm" is surprisingly similar to a prison some Jewish guy escaped from. More of those goddamn Jew conspiracies, dammit!
-----------------
Just to tell you, I spent some considerable time on this stupid post and I could've spent it on my map. I'm such a dumb person sometimes.

These days I like to imagine the demons' lives behind-the-scenes being a lot like Kurashiki's drawings. Cacodemons and their friends/rivals eating ice cream, playing pranks on each other, and the like. Doom is a pretty silly and cartoony game, and at this point we know the looks and behaviors of all the "characters" well enough that they're not scary anymore. Kura's artwork reflects that by depicting them as a basically harmless family of funny idiots, and it's great.

The skulltag enemy personalities:

SSG guy:

Spoiler

Probably uses steroids, LOVES the gym and being a jackass. They're the drunk foolish friend to all demons I guess. Always doing stupid shit.

Dark imp:
Spoiler

Edgy "kill yourself" kind of thing. Likes to make jokes about tragedy and race. Looks down on everyone even those above them.

Blood pinky:
Spoiler

Anger issues as fuck. Likes to scream all the time, probably unable to whisper even.

Cacolantern:
Spoiler

Happy lil things. Likes sweets and always happy to take orders.

Abbadon:
Spoiler

Like the dark imps but not as bad. Only posts creepy aesthetic on imgur (and probably tumblr). Secretly has feelings towards the cacolanterns.

Hectebus:
Spoiler

The edgy brothers to the mancubus. Loves to eat everything in sight (AND I MEAN EVERYTHING). Secretly soft on the inside (both mentally and physically).

Belphegor:
Spoiler

Loves gore, loves killing, loves seeing people die, loves anything within that spectrum. Has a soft spot for barons of Hell.

I like to think that the demons get along just fine. Like Billy Baron and Rodger Revenant are best of friends who spend slow demon days chucking rocks at those lousy foreigners known as former humans.

I always thought of them as similar to chess pieces in a sense. Simply there for the challenge, being controlled by an outside source.

bzzrak said:

Just to tell you, I spent some considerable time on this stupid post and I could've spent it on my map. I'm such a dumb person sometimes.

Your post was pretty entertaining to read, actually.

Doomkid said:

I always thought of them as similar to chess pieces in a sense. Simply there for the challenge, being controlled by an outside source.

Probably the most concise and satisfying way to describe them!

They all hate each other.

Except Barons and HKs. They're bros.

pain elementals have online fursonas and run webcomics where they cast themselves as sarcastic yet over-sexed owners of comic book stores and coffee shops. they are each in internet relationships with a mancubu who drama-llamas about his job

Zulk-RS said:

Then there is the Doomguy, He's basically the guy everyone hates but no one can kill.

This is a popular story-angle for Doom, but I can't help but feel that the "mission" in Doom has always been a hopeless one without a happy end. I know that's not really how Doom's story goes, but this was always my interpretation of it.

A lot of the depictions of the Doom marine seem to vary as well (such as the title-screen of Doom 2, and the cover-art of PSX Doom), which made me think that the Doom marine that we get to play as is just one many marines that were send off to die.

esselfortium said:

These days I like to imagine the demons' lives behind-the-scenes being a lot like Kurashiki's drawings. Cacodemons and their friends/rivals eating ice cream, playing pranks on each other, and the like. Doom is a pretty silly and cartoony game, and at this point we know the looks and behaviors of all the "characters" well enough that they're not scary anymore. Kura's artwork reflects that by depicting them as a basically harmless family of funny idiots, and it's great.

It's kind of like the Alien-movies in a way. Remember when the HR Giger alien from those movies used to actually scare you as a kid? Nowadays, the design is so ingrained into pop-culture, it's almost impossible to think of it as imposing.

It's still terrifying. Just take a gander at any of his art books. Look at it for awhile. It really is the image of pure horror.

GoatLord said:

It's still terrifying. Just take a gander at any of his art books. Look at it for awhile. It really is the image of pure horror.

I did. It looks about as terrifying as a Halloween clown to me, which isn't much. In fact, I think he actually looks rather cute.

I love the Xenomorph but I have to agree it's no longer intimidating or fresh. Actually Giger's early designs may be more intimidating. I think his original intent was to give a sense of rape and sexual vulnerability to males from feminine monstrosities. I know he didn't design the face hugger but its male and female genital design crossed with a hand definitely gives the sense of face rape. Think someone unable to pull away disgusting genitals forcing itself upon you and impregnate you against your Will.

Wait what was this thread about?

This is an extremely graet thread. I alraedy explained in detail once how I view the demon society, but my post was rushed and inelegant so it was posthelled.

rdwpa said:

I don't see Doom monsters as anything but robot-like entities fueled by the forces of evil, devoid of feelings or anything higher than the lowest level of cognition. If I saw them as having friendships and such, I'd quit playing, because it would feel awful to enter their realm so often and fight them for my own amusement.

That's very wise and unwise at the same time. On average I like your approach though, mostly.

I'm going to repaet the anecdote yet again, when I first played doom I was a kid and didn't bother raeding anything, so I knew no backstory. From what I saw I concluded that there is no difference whatsoever between the protagonist and former humans (more like former and also current humans, as I perceived them at the time). Because both of them were very similar and seemed to have the same goal: kill everything that moves.

The idea of pure evil is cute but utterly silly and kind of bad, and I don't like it. I'm much fonder of a game like Wolfenstein 3d, where your enemies are no different from the people you meet at family reunions.

For people who would like to view demons as something more but feel too uncomfortable to do so, my headcanon is something that could be quite helpful. First of all, death is in most cases temporary for the hell people, because arch-viles and so on.

And a century or a few after the contact between them and humans, with the war and the subsequent political tensions finally over, both races could participate in the literal deathmatch game designed by and for the individuals looking for an outlet for their now useless evolutionary feelings of aggression. (in particular there is a particular tribe of hell people that is much fonder of fighting)

This is also a storyline for my vanilla megawad in the making, every single regular storyline-free level I ever make, and also every other normal storyline-less wad by anyone else to them applied retroactively, voila.

I would explain it more gracefully but I don't have time. Again. A cruel twist of fate raelly. Maybe some other time... or earlier, if anyone is internested!