Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sallan

Marine still walk when stopped

Shit lmao, this is like a moonwalk variation, how this is possible? Doomguy is really overpowered

Man, this break the universe rules.

I have not noticed this myself, the animation for walking usually stops as intended upon halting movement.

I'm going to guess that is what you are talking about and I'm going to pretend I understood it.

I think what Sallan is talking about is how the Doomguy's walk animation plays at a constant speed, rather than playing faster/slower depending on his movement speed. You can slow almost to a halt before the animation will stop playing, which at very slow speeds can make it look like he's running on the spot/moonwalking. This is very noticable if you use the chasecam in ZDoom.

I was actually considering making a post about this on "Things that bother you about Doom" but never got around to it. I wonder if any source ports ever attempted to fix this?

I also think it's exaggerated. I think the walking animation should stop when slowing down enough, not when stopping.

It also looks dumb when sliding around while shooting. It's generally a good thing Doom is filmed in first person, so we don't see these silly animations.

It's almost as if the game was made with sprites, on a budget, with limited storage space and for an 80486, or something...

Da Werecat said:

"Doom is overrated."

I think there already is one of those. Maybe something more in-theme, like e.g. "the Marine's boots appear made of metal, lol, aren't his feet killing him?".

Hectic said:

Yet he can't jump.

And he can't crouch, nor look up/down...

EDIT: And he can't talk.

Piper Maru said:

Spider-Man is white, and he can jump very well.

Because he have super powers, thats invalid.

HavoX said:

And he can't crouch, nor look up/down...

EDIT: And he can't talk.

But he could bench press a football team with his trigger finger.

But he can effortlessly and smoothly run at 25 mph* while laden as a pack mule. If everybody was like him, manufacturers of bikes, scooters etc. would be ruined and our cities would be cleaner.

Unfortunately, we're not, so manufacturers get rich and our cities get dirtier.

Then again, this "walking in place glitch" might occur only with current online multiplayer ports (ZDaemon, I'm looking at you). It might sometimes take a quite long, complete lack of input to stop the "squirming". What's the exact behavior of vanilla Doom?

Maes said:

What's the exact behavior of vanilla Doom?

If the player is in their spawn (standing) state, and they start pressing movement, they are put into their see (walking) state, which loops. Once the player has no movement input, moving slower than FRACUNIT/16, and are in their see state, they are returned to their spawn state.

In ZDaemon multiplayer, I often see players moving in-place for long times (even minutes at a time), but I don't know if that's due to small, constant inputs (e.g. by very slow, creeping mouse input that doesn't actually move the sprite visually) or simply some setting which causes a long animation timeout on some servers. Just rotating in place, with no directional input at all should not trigger walking.

It's entirely possible that Zdaemon's local playsim is bugged (sure could answer that better if we had the source code). I recall all sort of weird bugs back in the day with players moving around half-way stuck in their death state (on a frame that shouldn't logically stick), or just moving around stiff in general.

Granted the latter might have been CSDoom. It was far too many years back.