Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aleaver

Are "Old School" maps still fun to play?

Is it still fun to play old school maps...OR Is it more fun to play the Source Port enhanced maps?

IMO I lean toward Old School..But that don't mean I'm against New stuff.

I don't care what the maps are, as long as they're fun and enjoyable to play.

I've stopped playing maps that need an enhanced or advanced port. As for editing I prefer to see what can be done within the limits of the original; this also applies to playing. Since I have limited time for DOOM (playing or editing or watching demos), and since I like the demo recording scene, which makes playing more exciting (otherwise it has to do more with the novelty value, which is obviously stronger for newer games) I like to concentrate on playing fewer but better WADs, playing the maps I like over and over. I do check out /newstuff WADs and WADs recommended here or there. But if I check a boom or limitless port WAD I will more likely not do more than that (check it to see this or that feature or the general design).

All maps are great (old and new). I tend to go for old school maps more (as my pc is about 4 years old) but I like newer maps, especially the recent Zdoom projects, and Nimrod as well (despite the crashes) and I've just in fact converted from building old school maps to building Zdoom maps (although they will still be compatible with older pc's)

Aleaver said:
Is it still fun to play old school maps...OR Is it more fun to play the Source Port enhanced maps?

I only play Boom compatible maps. There's more than enough to surprise me in old school maps, without starting on new stuff.

As long as the map is good, I don't care how long ago it was made or what style it's in.

NiGHTMARE said:

As long as the map is good, I don't care how long ago it was made or what style it's in.

I agree totally.

NiGHTMARE said:

'Nuff said.

I'll go along with NiGHTMARE and say that no matter what port it's made for, or if it's not made for a source port, as long as it's fun and well-designed, I'll play it.

DooMBoy said:

I'll go along with NiGHTMARE and say that no matter what port it's made for, or if it's not made for a source port, as long as it's fun and well-designed, I'll play it.

Same here but one thing I have noticed is that, generally, old-school maps tend to concentrate on gameplay a little more...Although the very best tend to be more recent efforts like Alien Vendetta for example.

Since i map with a Gl port, i can't use advanced tricks such as 3d-bridges... although i can manage these straightforward tricks with ease.

With the exception of dynamic lighting, then, are GL port maps (ie Jdoom stuff) considered old-school?

I don't know why, but I prefer those old, badly textured newbie maps
from 1994. :p There's just something about them; less effort was put
into them, and I think the harder you try at something, the more chance
there is that it will suck.

I usually prefer oldschool maps, but a high detail monster map is nice too once in a while.

Old-skool Phobos with decent secrets, not just dumb opening walls.

I'm a big fan of 2002ado, I prefer playing it to Nimrod but both are fantastic. Personal thing.

Phobos style is great, as long as it's not 100% pure (ie. way too easy in terms of monsters and ammo). Deimos style levels are also great. For DooM 2, city style maps are the best, along with the Map01-11 style levels.

(as you might have guessed, I'm not a huge fan of gothic/hell style levels, but I still like them)

People who refuse to play a wad because it's not for a source port are stupid, as are people who refuse to play a wad because it IS for a source port.

There are crap wads for vanilla doom, and there are crap wads for source ports. If it's good, I'll play it, if not, it gets deleted - Doesn't matter what source port.

NiGHTMARE said:

People who refuse to play a wad because it's not for a source port are stupid, as are people who refuse to play a wad because it IS for a source port.

Heh, well I haven't measured my IQ in a while so I can't really say, and I can't speak for anyone else... but isn't that a bit harsh? Think about it. Am I stupid if I don't play maps for Quake or another FPS? I have Quake after all, it's even a pretty cool game (nowhere near as cool as DOOM for playing IMO, but still...), and while the difference between a Quake PAK and a DOOM WAD is greater than the one between a doom WAD and (let's say) a zdoom WAD, it's still relative, and both games are still FPSs (not that much different). But there's differences and similarities here, and there. (How many games, or modifications of these do I have to play to be intelligent?)

There's differences in being conscious (and thus interested or not) of the different mediums whatever map or mod was designed in or for, and differences in the controls or conditions set (defining the way the game is played).. which can quite often lead one to refine creativity or play in one area while eventually excluding others.

Source ports are a total pain in the ass when you're on the editing side of the spectrum.

I only play Old School maps using zDoom. (I like mouselook and the high resolutions)

Scrum said:

Source ports are a total pain in the ass when you're on the editing side of the spectrum.

Not completely, as I'm managing alright with ZDoom editing at the moment. (and I've only just converted to it from normal editing)

It really depends how far you're willing to go to expand your map within the editors boundries that sets the level of difficulty for editing source ports.

Vanilla doom2.exe is a total pain in the ass when you're on the editing side of the spectrum.

myk said:

Myk's post

Well, I meant you're stupid in that if you only play non-source port levels, you're limiting the number of new wads you can play to something like 10 a year. Which would definitely not be enough for me.

Woolie Wool said:

I will play an "old-sk00l" map, as long as it is not an Episode-1-style map.

I take it you haven't played most of the Classic episode, none of CH Retro, most of Pablo Dicter's levels, and the first episode of 2002 ADO then? Shame.

Fredrik said:

Vanilla doom2.exe is a total pain in the ass when you're on the editing side of the spectrum.

Talking about pain... wasn't Pain initially going to be a doom2 WAD? Or was that another project of yours? I ask since you gave the stats of a Pain map in progress in another thread and it seemed huge... so I'm assuming it's a limitless EXE WAD.

NiGHTMARE said:

Well, I meant you're stupid in that if you only play non-source port levels, you're limiting the number of new wads you can play to something like 10 a year. Which would definitely not be enough for me.

I see. Albeit in my case I could not play much more than that (particularly if these WADs contain multiple levels each), and I still have to play some older ones I haven't played well enough (or at all). In addition, my style has improved lately, so what I've played in the past doesn't count anymore, as it must be played again. But as I said it's about different perspectives...