Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

[suggestion] key automap colors

Eternity's EDF "lockdef" definitions allow you to designate a custom color to the automap display for locked doors.

This only seems to work for D1/R keyed door sectors with zero height. A door that's partly open but still blocking the player does no longer display a custom color but reverts back to the normal color for a 2s line.

Is it possible to change this behaviour? It would be nice if any switch that requires a key would show up on the automap with its designated color, as well as sectors that are affected by that keyed switch. Or, if one is worried about compatibility, some ACS or ExtraData function that allows the mapper to assign that custom key color to certain linedefs.

As it is, only 'classic' keyed doors are marked in the automap while stuff activated by eg ACS_LockedExecute is not. Bit confusing.

Also, even if you change eg the blue key to a new green key and update its lockdef definition to display a green automap colour, the key itself still shows up on the map with its normal blue color. Is there a way to change this as well?

I addressed some aspects in the (currently) most recent commit. 1S lines are now coloured, as are 2S lines which have a stationary backsector. It now relies on the backsector of the activating line having no thinker (for 2S lines) instead of the floor and ceiling being at the same height.

https://github.com/team-eternity/eternity/commit/470e8a5c6f920f5b948ff79fecae2bb8de6cfcb6

This works nicely. I usually enhance the footprint on the automap by drawing some dummy lockeddoor lines around the actual switch for better visibility. The key itself is still its original colour, but then again one would only see this if cheating anyway.

Mordeth said:

This works nicely. I usually enhance the footprint on the automap by drawing some dummy lockeddoor lines around the actual switch for better visibility. The key itself is still its original colour, but then again one would only see this if cheating anyway.

Key objects require a different only partially related solution.

Quasar said:

Key objects require a different only partially related solution.

Personally I think it would be a nice touch if the computer area map powerup would not just show undiscovered lines but also the location of the keys with their proper colours. But this is nitpicking.