Find results in...
sharo

just zd 0.99 mpeg record alpha2 ver.

2blacklaunchr author
>this brings back *TO* many bad memories of Fly
hehe ofcourse...
>JEBAS SAVE US!!!
hold on baby 8-)

Isn't there some kind of lmp-to-mpg converter? If not, wouldn't it have made more sense to write one of them instead? It would've solved all the problems with realtime=lag and shit, and all the legal problems, without requiring the source code to be released, right?

Fly is the csdoom coder.
MaTT, you may very well know that zdaemon does not presently support demo recording.

About zdaemon being GPL or not: The problem is the clash between the GPLed QW code and the code from Raven software. Now, Raven did Heretic and hexen for id Software, who GPLed DOOM and Quake. If I am not mistaken Raven allows the modification and redistribution of Heretic/Hexen code, but not profiting from it, which is possible with the GPL. The GPL states:

10. If you wish to incorporate parts of the Program into other free
programs whose distribution conditions are different, write to the author to ask for permission. For software which is copyrighted by the Free Software Foundation, write to the Free Software Foundation; we sometimes make exceptions for this. Our decision will be guided by the two goals of preserving the free status of all derivatives of our free software and of promoting the sharing and reuse of software generally.

I do think the permission is more or less given, and, whatever is eventually done with these bits of Raven code will most unlikely cause Raven to sue anybody or cause trouble of any sort. In any case, if anything happens, it's that Linux distros and other GPL projects will never include zdaemon or csdoom. But I don't think it's an impediment otherwise. There is a hole there.. mixed up licenses that whoever works on the code should be aware of, but not a huge problem. Unless I'm mistaken. Contacting Raven for a final word wouldn't hurt, but I doubt they are overly concerned.

myk said:

MaTT, you may very well know that zdaemon does not presently support demo recording.

Ah hah, thanks, now I get the point in all this.

myk said:
About zdaemon being GPL or not: The problem is the clash between the GPLed QW code and the code from Raven software. Now, Raven did Heretic and hexen for id Software, who GPLed DOOM and Quake. If I am not mistaken Raven allows the modification and redistribution of Heretic/Hexen code, but not profiting from it,

No, the heretic/hexen code was released under a pretty standard EULA that allows you to do sweet FA with it in programming terms. We couldn't even get a legally binding statement from them that you can distribute modified versions, IIRC.

The GPL states:

10. If you wish to incorporate parts of the Program into other free
programs whose distribution conditions are different, write to the author to ask for permission.

That's the author of the GPL program that you have to ask. I.e. it's id that would sue you in this case, for distributing QW under a bad license. You have to ask id to allow the distribution of Quakeworld under a non-GPL license. I've not heard of this permission being given to any Doom project.

whatever is eventually done with these bits of Raven code will most unlikely cause Raven to sue anybody or cause trouble of any sort. [...] Contacting Raven for a final word wouldn't hurt, but I doubt they are overly concerned. [/B]

We did, and indeed they were not concerned. Basically they aren't interested. Their legal department don't pursue anyone but neither will they release it under a useful license. They are quite happy to let us play with it but reserve the right to stomp on us if they feel like it.