Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sharo

just zd 0.99 mpeg record alpha2 ver.

In this buggy/laggy version u can crop/resize and record ur dm in mpeg1 video.
grab it from
http://doom.rog.ru/utilites.htm#zdrec
Stupid usage - in console "mpg_record [filename]"
More cmds is present too (press mpg_ and tab for view)

for normal working >1.5Ghz CPUs REQUIRED

Author - me.
Bye.

sharo said:

for normal working >1.5Ghz CPUs REQUIRED

i'm assuming that this plays the demo, saves an image of each frame, and then compresses it into an mpg (possibly on the fly). if i am correct (i havent looked at your program) did you possibly think of making it so it doesnt run realtime? if i wanted to record a demo to mpg, i couldnt care less if it took longer than normal to record it. that way you could ensure that every of the 35 frames per second is rendered, saved, and compressed into the mpg with no possibility of dropping any frames, and you could increase the effective platform support of your program (because 1.5ghz is quite fast).

with video recording and encoding, there's only a processor speed and frame dropping issue when the source is nessecarily in realtime, in which case you just have to do as best as you can. but there's no reason why you just can't run the doom simulation at the fastest speed that the processor can handle, instead of full speed.

edit: never mind, i just realized that doh, your program is for recording off of DMs, not demos, so it is nessecarily real time. however, still, it would be better to make a thingy that encodes videos from demos, because even for realtime deathmatches you could just record a demo (which even a 486 can easily do in realtime, and they don't take up much space) and then process the demo into a .lmp later.

one last thing, i didn't see the source code to your modified zdaemon anywhere, although i don't speak russian so navigating your pages were difficult. where is it?

Is this implemented as a hack to the doom engine, or is it an external thing? This has been a much requested feature in recent years, it would be very interesting to see how this works.

About realtime - it is no demorecording,but its a real-time(or not;)
video recording,then need very high speed CPU.
About hosting - iam not have my own hosting ,and i give it to our russian friends.
Sources is not available yet.
How its works : zdaemon 0.99 (zdaemon.com) + freely mpeg MSSG group encoder(mpeg.org) = this thing(addintion by me,compiling by vc6,packing by upx ;-).

sharo said:

About realtime - it is no demorecording,but its a real-time(or not;)
video recording,then need very high speed CPU.
About hosting - iam not have my own hosting ,and i give it to our russian friends.
How its works : zdaemon 0.99 (zdaemon.com) + freely mpeg MSSG group encoder(mpeg.org) = this thing(addintion by me,compiling by vc6,packing by upx ;-).

so is this thing external to zdaemon or is it an internal hack to zdaemon? if it is an internal hack, you are legally required to release the source code because of the licensing on zdaemon, although i personally won't be too fussy.

cph said:

Is this implemented as a hack to the doom engine, or is it an external thing? This has been a much requested feature in recent years, it would be very interesting to see how this works.

if it's a much requested feature then impliment it in prboom :)

seriously, a brute force method isnt that hard. basically make the thing save a screenshot on every call to i_finishupdate, and then make sure to run with -timedemo (so no frames will be skipped). i hacked this into the boom code in a few minutes. just to show how god damn old doom is, i ran this on a short demo with boom and in addition to eating 116mb of harddrive space, the thing still timedemo'ed at 50fps :)

then i downloaded a small program called makeavi from orbitals.com that turns a series of uncompressed image files (all my .bmps in this case) into an uncompressed avi. unfortunately there was no way to specify to this little program that i want an 8bit paletted uncompressed avi; so it gobbled up 362mb making a 24bit one. the amount of free space the user needs to have for this step could be greatly reduced by deleting each source .bmp right after it's used and making an 8 bit avi.

too not permanently cripple your harddrive, you then need to compress of course. i used rad tools from smacker (radgametools.com), but anything would work here. the end result is a no-audio ~50 second very boring run of me -turbo 255'ing my way thru e3m7 -nomonsters (dont complain, i just picked a random demo). adding sound would take more work, i think allegro mixes at the hardware level. i dunno much about sound stuff, but i'm sure it's doable, just would take longer to figure out.

the smacker video is 12MB and took 8min to compress. i just used for the most part the default compression settings, couldnt be bothered. it plays fine and looks *excellent*, except for the fact that the demo i chose to record is utter shite. i think the final video could be much smaller if i compressed more judiciously, this one looks picture perfect.

the disadvantage of course is rediculous hdd waste. recording 320x200, 8 bit bitmaps takes roughly 2.2MB per second of demo. because of the limits of the avi converter used, you actually have to have 3x that space available, and because the bmps are not deleted during processing, i used 9MB of hdd space per second of demo. youch.

sharo said:

me dont care about any legally stuff

the following people have portions of code in zdaemon, and they could all bring you to court on this. like i said, i'm normally not very picky, but if you take some pompous attitude i will personally email every single one of them, and at least one is bound to take up litigation.

id software <- most likely to sue you
everyone involved in the making of dosdoom (zdoom borrows a bit of code from there)
everyone involved in the making of boom (zdoom borrows a bit of code from there)
everyone involved in the making of zdoom (which zdaemon is based on)
everyone involved in the making of zdaemon (which your mod is based on)
everyone that i forgot

this adds up to quite a few people. don't be an asshole.

/me gives esayeek the evil eye and wishes he'd shut up for a minute. Sheesh.

sharo said:
hmmm its zdaemon .99 source modification

Nice. Are you planning to release the source code to this? I know there are a lot of people out there interested in this feature, so it would be nice if it could be picked up and incorporated into the future releases of ZDaemon, and other ports too if possible.

sharo said:

Looks like he planned to release the source.

2 esayeek
I really scared
u forget a mpeg.org peoples,authors a mpss coder.
maybe iam must scare all my piracy software? WOW iam a deadman.
haha

2 cph
well i post the srcz when i add more optimizations from other sources
(iam replace some files in coder to their MMX and 3dnow! optimized versions from other app: avi2mpg)
Now iam waiting a answer of author about availability newer version avi2vcd(and newer MPSS coder version)

If u SO needed a this source , contact with MAZter in doom.rog.ru

Um, is ZDaemon GPL then? I thought they couldn't legally do that, because of the Hexen and Heretic code in it uses a different license and would therefore conflict or something.

And he can't be sued by the makers of Boom or ZDoom, because the version of Boom that Randy took code from wasn't GPL, and ZDoom isn't GPL either.

Oh, and if you go and tell all the source port authors that he's refusing to release the source, when he's actually said/done no such thing, I'm afraid that he could take YOU to court, for slander.

True. ZDaemon can't be GPL. Except NF took out all the Hexen/Heretic code, but I doubt that ;)

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the Heretic and Hexen stuff is still there, which means that either ZDaemon is using an illegal license, or esayeek is talking rubbish.

In either case, sharo can't get in trouble.

NiGHTMARE said:

Um, is ZDaemon GPL then? I thought they couldn't legally do that, because of the Hexen and Heretic code in it uses a different license and would therefore conflict or something.

And he can't be sued by the makers of Boom or ZDoom, because the version of Boom that Randy took code from wasn't GPL, and ZDoom isn't GPL either.

Oh, and if you go and tell all the source port authors that he's refusing to release the source, when he's actually said/done no such thing, I'm afraid that he could take YOU to court, for slander.

I was mistaken that the original id Doom release was GPL. It is not; sorry about that one. However, what non-GPL boom version are you referring to? There is none. If the heretic/hexen code license conflicts with the GPL, then that's Randy Heit's problem.

Slander? His posts, particularly "me dont care about any legally stuff" and "i'm scared" (with sarcasm) clearly indicate no intention to release the source code. I have not slandered him.

2 nightmare
relax man
I really dont care about this crap coz i live in piracy country 8-)

BTW i get a answer and maybe iam done alpha3 and post sources somewhere...
Or if i drop it i post it too...

The author of CSDoom, which AFAIK ZDaemon also uses code from, is also russian, so you could have potentially been in legal trouble from him :)

esayeek said:
[...]However, what non-GPL boom version are you referring to? There is none.

Doom was GPL'd about a year after Boom's release. Originally Boom was under only the same license as the original Doom release, educational use only. When Doom was GPLed, TeamTNT followed suit. But many Boom spinoffs, MBF included, started under the older license.

If the heretic/hexen code license conflicts with the GPL, then that's Randy Heit's problem.

It conflicts. It's a mess, let's not drag it up again...

sharo said:
BTW i get a answer and maybe iam done alpha3 and post sources somewhere...
Or if i drop it i post it too...

I look forward to seeing it.

NiGHTMARE said:

The author of CSDoom, which AFAIK ZDaemon also uses code from, is also russian, so you could have potentially been in legal trouble from him :)

meh common i didn't slander russians! my mommy is russian!

cph said:

It conflicts. It's a mess, let's not drag it up again...

ok, i wasn't up to date on the whole licensing thing behind the doom ports. it does sound like a mess.

sharo, let me put it this way: not releasing the source code, if that is your intention, goes against the whole principle and morals behind free software, even if legally you can get around it.

NiGHTMARE said:

meh common i didn't slander russians! my mommy is russian!

Heh, I was talking to sharo, not you ;)

esayeek said:

: not releasing the source code, if that is your intention, goes against the whole principle and morals behind free software, even if legally you can get around it.

He said "Sources is not available yet" Which implies no intention to withhold source code.

í-äà... íàñòóïèë íà ëþáèìóþ ìîçîëü :)

2 nightmare
>The author of CSDoom, which AFAIK ZDaemon also uses code from, is also russian, so you could have potentially been in legal trouble from him :)

loool
Fly cool man ,and he dont care any legal stuff like me ;)
But he little arrogant and in this case we kick asses each other,or just drink some beer together and make a deal 8-)

2 esayeek

>sharo, let me put it this way: not releasing the source code
Iam not really worried about releasing source code...iam write it just for fun and no planned get a many ...
therefore... this problem is not exist/strained.

>my mommy is russian
Heh... want i say u some funny words on russian about licensing? ;-)

Fod is completely right.

2 bond
;-)))))))

i wanna see a lmp. of all you guys deathmatching. whoever wins is right! hehehe.
i'd like to see this source when it's ready, sounds interesting

Use3D said:

i wanna see a lmp. of all you guys deathmatching. whoever wins is right! hehehe.
i'd like to see this source when it's ready, sounds interesting

hell, i'm up to it, as long as fodders doesnt get to play :D