Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
demo_the_man

R.R.R: Raiding Romeros Recycle(community project)

So a year ago, John Romero released a bunch of unused doom assets. Among them where unused huds, weapons, and a lot of textures. A good chunk of the textures where seen in the alphas,but a lot of where brand new. So after a lot of fanfare, the pistol getting a sprite after 20 years of using a revolver, nothing really happend other than finding some rather interesting history about maps. A few weeks ago I was digging through the resources released and i had the idea to create a community project that is definitely not a copy of D.U.M.P with a theme and a bit faster turnaround.

The Plan
Phase 1 October 17-Nov 10
Resource Gathering, setting up a final resource set
(Everyone send in textures and sprites they want, this way duplicates can be avoided and keeps the whole process streamlined except weapons)
Phase 2 Nov 10-TBD
The main resource pk3 releases,
Make your map, code your gun, and submit on here
Phase 3 TBD
When everyone is done mapping, its feedback time. Improve your map, add more frames to your gun, play some levels
Phase 4 TBD Release the thing

The Rules
1 MIDI music only
2 Base your sprites/textures on unused resources(no using r667 texture packs)
3 Have fun
4 No terry
5 Try to refrain from submitting 30+ assets
6 This will use doom 1, so please use a EXMX format when making your map(most of the unused stuff is from doom 1)
7 Do not use resources outside of the pack when the pack is ready.

Anyone Can participate, make a map, code a gun, give some feedback, make an interesting mashup of two alpha textures.
(Non Final Mapslots,if more are needed there will be more)
E1M1
E1M2
E1M3
E1M4
E1M5
E1M6
E1M7 (reserved for Romero if he wants it)
E1M8 Demo_the_man
E1M9
E2M1 walter confalonieri(doomworld)
E2M2
E2M3
E2M4
E2M5
E2M6
E2M7
E2M8
E2M9
E3M1
E3M2
E3M3
E3M4
E3M5
E3M6
E3M7
E3M8
E3M9

Sounds very ambitious. I'm guessing it's a ZDoom mod, or 3DGE?

5 days for resources? Make it one month.

And good luck. I'd like to see the outcome of this CP.

I see this on the zdoom forums, and it's a pretty interesting project, I claim for mapping slots, did the mapping approach need something in particular?

EDIT: link to the source pack doesn't work

demo_the_man said:

Phase 1 October 17-22

I honestly recommend extending that 'phase one' part there or delaying it outright. You've started this project today, 17th October... Given it's a Monday you've already ruled out any weekend participation, not to mention the fact you have also given absolutely no advance notice that this was going to happen - this leaves nobody with any time to pre-prepare or finish up existing projects they happen to be working on at the time.

I get the feeling the project idea was conceived a few minutes before you posted it.

Build the hype train, get some people to agree that they're going to participate, show some proof you're going to pull your weight (by which I mean, show&tell any progress you've made on this) and you'll have a functional project.

With all of that said, good luck! :)

demo_the_man, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

My bad, im going to extend the deadlines and i will use some screenshots of a asset test map i am making. Give me some time, as i have other college things i am working on. And no i did not come up with this 5 minutes before posting, i have been kicking it around with a couple of people for a few days.

Edit Link to Romero stuff dump is up. Note is that its not the main resource archive, but just a massive backup of used/unused assets provided by Romero

walter confalonieri said:

I see this on the zdoom forums, and it's a pretty interesting project, I claim for mapping slots, did the mapping approach need something in particular?

Basically its mapping with doom 1 assets plus whatever can be made out of the unused stuff Romero Released on dooms 21st anniversary. As for mapping, think of it as a more limited version of Term's D.U.M.P. The standard resource archive keeps compatibility to a max, cutting down on all the post production that delayed D.U.M.P3 by almost 3 months. Heck, I'm even going to try to get Romero to make a map for this.Either way, if you liked making stuff for D.U.M.P, you are going to like this.

Voros said:

How about compiling all those resources in a WAD/PK3?

Working on that, i wanted to link for those who have other ideas to do stuff with the stuff dump that i might not have thought of.

Ok working to revamp whole idea, im going to make a texture/sfx .pk3 and do mapslots, also am going to rename this most likely

~edit~
Mapslots
E1M1
E1M2
E1M3
E1M4
E1M5
E1M6
E1M7 (reserved for Romero if he wants it)
E1M8 Demo_the_man (me)
E1M9
E2M1 walter confalonieri(doomworld)
E2M2
E2M3
E2M4
E2M5
E2M6
E2M7
E2M8
E2M9
E3M1