Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rachael

QZDoom - Now merged into GZDoom!

1 hour ago, PhillMcHogan said:

What is QZDoom? Is it like GZDoom? What are the differences? Will it work with openGL version 1.1?

In a nutshell it's a true colour software renderer for GZDoom. So no more pallette limitations when running software mode.

I've found myself using it more and more recently. It genuinely feels like a wonderful sweet spot between the classic Doom look and all the functionality of GZDoom. Thanks to everyone who's worked so hard on it, it's genuinely brilliant.

Just now, Bauul said:

In a nutshell it's a true colour software renderer for GZDoom. So no more pallette limitations when running software mode.

I've found myself using it more and more recently. It genuinely feels like a wonderful sweet spot between the classic Doom look and all the functionality of GZDoom. Thanks to everyone who's worked so hard on it, it's genuinely brilliant.

But is it compatible with OpenGl 1.1?

8 minutes ago, PhillMcHogan said:

But is it compatible with OpenGl 1.1?

This might be an immensely dumb thing for me to say, but as it's a software renderer, then I'd have to guess and say it doesn't use OpenGL at all.

I have no educated knowledge on the subject though, you'd need to wait for one of the devs to confirm.

Just now, Bauul said:

This might be an immensely dumb thing for me to say, but as it's a software renderer, then I'd have to guess and say it doesn't use OpenGL at all.

I have no educated knowledge on the subject though, you'd need to wait for one of the devs to confirm.

Hooray! If this doesn't have to use openGL, I am home free! I can finally use doom wads without all those annoying errors!

On Windows, QZDoom requires Direct3D 9 in order to present Truecolor - if you are on Mac or Linux anything supported by SDL2 will do.

There is no direct OpenGL requirement to run QZDoom but you still need good enough hardware to support it. Also, 3D models are not yet supported so with some GZDoom mods there will still be errors.

I don't know how to answer your question outside of "try it and see." If it works it works, if not, you'll have to find some new hardware. It certainly will not run well, if at all, on any of those old 2002-2003 office-type computers that were popular when WinXP first came out.

28 minutes ago, Rachael said:

On Windows, QZDoom requires Direct3D 9 in order to present Truecolor - if you are on Mac or Linux anything supported by SDL2 will do.

There is no direct OpenGL requirement to run QZDoom but you still need good enough hardware to support it. Also, 3D models are not yet supported so with some GZDoom mods there will still be errors.

I don't know how to answer your question outside of "try it and see." If it works it works, if not, you'll have to find some new hardware. It certainly will not run well, if at all, on any of those old 2002-2003 office-type computers that were popular when WinXP first came out.

I tried it and all that happened was my screen flashed black and then froze.

Any suggestions on how to fix it?

1 hour ago, PhillMcHogan said:

I tried it and all that happened was my screen flashed black and then froze.

Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Could you share exactly what your setup is? That'd help us know what might not be working (and also why you're so focused on OpenGL 1.1!)

5 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Could you share exactly what your setup is? That'd help us know what might not be working (and also why you're so focused on OpenGL 1.1!)

I have a document or my computer specs, but my computer is acting wacky so I will have to send it tomorrow early morning, if that is alright.

Noticed a couple of glitches in the latest version.

jThjX89.png

Dynamic Lights in software rendering appear not to effect Mid-textures. (Edit: Ah, I guess this is the incomplete implementation inherited from the latest GZDoom?)

NqB6S6t.png

After a few seconds a Boom/MBF style scrolling sky, scrolls out of view leaving just a background colour. (Action 271 'Transfer Sky Texture to Tagged Sectors' combined with Action 254 'Scroll Wall according to Line Vector'.)

7 hours ago, PhillMcHogan said:

What is QZDoom? Is it like GZDoom? What are the differences? Will it work with openGL version 1.1?

Your questions can be answered by actually reading the thread.

15 hours ago, Bauul said:

when using gzdoom it said opengl version is not accelerated, so that is why I am focused on it. I don't know what info would be useful.

The first thing would be to post your hardware specs.

Either your graphics card is too old or you try to run an older Intel on Windows 10. In the second case you can find a workaround in the drdteam.org forum.

18 hours ago, DoodGuy said:

So does QZDoom improve frame rate?

Why would it improve framerate? It is a truecolor software renderer.

Best performance is with the hardware renderer or (only if using a low resolution) the normal software renderer.

6 hours ago, VGA said:

Why would it improve framerate? It is a truecolor software renderer.

Best performance is with the hardware renderer or (only if using a low resolution) the normal software renderer.

The 8 bit renderer does feature some multithreading capabilities that on modern hardware will improve performance over ZDoom.

In fact, on some maps it may even be that QZDoom in True Color is faster than original ZDoom.

But yes, on a decent graphics card true hardware acceleration is always fastest on anything considered a normal screen resolution these days.

On 3/20/2017 at 4:06 AM, Urthar said:

Noticed a couple of glitches in the latest version.

jThjX89.png

Dynamic Lights in software rendering appear not to effect Mid-textures. (Edit: Ah, I guess this is the incomplete implementation inherited from the latest GZDoom?)

NqB6S6t.png

After a few seconds a Boom/MBF style scrolling sky, scrolls out of view leaving just a background colour. (Action 271 'Transfer Sky Texture to Tagged Sectors' combined with Action 254 'Scroll Wall according to Line Vector'.)

What wad is that from?  (Obviously, it's inspired by Quake)

Spoiler

Service Pack 1
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
Using program directory for storage
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding D:/Games/Doom/QZDoom-q1.3.0.1-x32/qzdoom.pk3, 702 lumps
 adding D:/Games/Doom/!IWADs/doom2.wad, 2919 lumps
 adding lights.pk3, 6 lumps
 adding brightmaps.pk3, 500 lumps
 adding D:/Games/Doom/gzdoom-bin-1-9-1/auto.doom/sprfix.WAD, 1658 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
CPU speed: 2199 MHz
CPU Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
  Name: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-82
  Family 17 (17), Model 3, Stepping 1
  Features: MMX MMX+ SSE SSE2 SSE3 3DNow! 3DNow!+
I_InitSound: Initializing FMOD
FMOD Sound System, copyright © Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2009.
Loaded FMOD version 4.44.62
Renderer: OpenGL
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
Checking cmd-line parameters...
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
script parsing took 567.35 ms
R_Init: Init Doom refresh subsystem.
DecalLibrary: Load decals.
M_Init: Init menus.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading default status bar definition.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading custom status bar definition.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
I_InitInput
I_StartupMouse
I_StartupKeyboard
I_StartupXInput
I_StartupRawPS2
I_StartupDirectInputJoystick
GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.
GL_RENDERER: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 Series 
GL_VERSION: 3.1.8796 BETA (Compatibility profile)
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 1.30

Max. texture size: 8192
Max. texture units: 16
Max. varying: 64
Max. uniform block size: 65536
Uniform block alignment: 4

Execution could not continue.

Unable to load shader Default:
Init Shader 'Default':
Vertex shader:
Vertex shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 0:2: '' :  extension 'GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object' is not supported
ERROR:  compilation errors.  No code generated.

Fragment shader:
Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 0:2: '' :  extension 'GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object' is not supported
ERROR: 0:89: 'LightBufferUBO' : syntax error parse error
ERROR:  compilation errors.  No code generated.

Linking:
Vertex and Fragment shader(s) were not successfully compiled before glLinkProgram() was called.  Link failed.

Hardware mode does this. So does GZDoom, TBH, so maybe I should ask GZDoom devs.

What's the prognosis? My system is dodgy right now, as I have to use an old driver to avoid problems with the laptop's video hardware. Nevertheless, most 3D applications work fine, including GZDoom 1.x.

In AMD's official site I see the latest driver for the HD 4xxx series of notebook gfx chipsets is:

Catalyst Software Suite 13.9 from 10/15/2013

If you somehow cannot update your drivers, I think you're screwed. Maybe you can force software mode in the config or something?

The startup works, so messing with the config is unnecessary. But the software mode is slow.

I used that 2013 driver in the past, but ever since I switched to Win7 (the laptop came with Vista) everything seems to be held by bubblegum. Juggling video drivers led to the ATI/AMD installers being permanently broken on numerous occasions, so for now I'm stuck with the driver that gave me the least amount of problems overall. Unfortunately, it's from 2009.

You will not be able to use the hardware mode of modern versions of GZDoom and its forks unless you have newer drivers. I think you should try the final of the GZDoom 1.x series, which is version 1.9.1 from a quick glance at its forum.

Or use ZDoom in lower resolution.

Wads I want to play aren't supported by 1.x, so I guess that means I'll have to subject myself to driver-juggling again. God I'm tired of this.

Oh well.

The issue here is, that AMD's OpenGL 3.x drivers were to a large degree really broken when using OpenGL 3.x features (i.e. Core profiles in OpenGL) In the long run the fixed most of it, but of course with their horrendous deprecation attitude a lot of hardware got left with terminally broken drivers, especially on Windows XP. If you are stuck with a 2009 driver you may have to resort to -glversion 2 and disable some of the features that require shaders to work. The one you use appears to report support of some feature but doesn't correctly do it. But without uniform buffers none of the shaders can compile - even 1.9 will not offer full feature support with such an old driver (i.e. it will resort to textured dynamic lights, just as the most recent version will with -glversion 2.)

18 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

-glversion 2

This helped to launch both ports, but most of the textures are white. Unless there are no dynamic lights (e.g. doom2.wad without lights.pk3).

Uh - wow. All I can say is, it sounds like your drivers are really screwed. I use the same gen chipset on a desktop computer, but GL version 2 renders okay. Right now, though, I run Linux on it, so I don't know how the Windows drivers react to the current version of GZDoom. I could probably do as I did before and give Graf access and boot it into Windows mode, but that will take some time to set up.

Yeah - cannot support those. What you can TRY to do if you absolutely insist on sticking with those drivers is stick the 2013/10 atioglxx.dll into your GZDoom folder and see if it runs any better but keep in mind that this is HUGELY unsupported and can sometimes cause more problems than it will solve. (In other words, this can potentially really screw things up)

But supporting old drivers - I never signed up for this. You're on your own.

AMD catalyst uninstallers are broken, you'd need to get display driver uninstaller from guru3d.com and reinstall the latest driver. That might help.

20 hours ago, drfrag said:

display driver uninstaller from guru3d.com

I was hoping this would help with my "video driver stops showing up in the installer after being installed and uninstalled one time", but it's the same shit all over again. Last time I had to deal with this, the system was installed, like, five minutes ago, so I didn't mind wiping it out again. Now I don't know.

[edit]

For closure's sake: I have the 2013 driver installed now, and everything works.

Edited by Da Werecat