Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buu342

Suggestions on Final Boss Concept

Hey Guys.

I'm currently making a 12 map wad, and while I've gotten a little sidetracked with it (I've only made 3 of the maps), I've started working on the final boss because I really enjoy programming the enemies. I wanted to know your opinion on what I have so far. It's not finished, as I still want to add some effects to the attacks like smoke and trails, and the level needs to be finished. The boss is also missing one attack, where he would spew out small brain enemies that you can shoot to replenish Health and Ammo during the fight (as I'm planning on giving it a lot of health).

Here's the video of what's currently been done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qGPbuJeM8Y&feature=youtu.be

Sprites came from Realm667 and Hexen.

Music is also something I'm not too sure of. Do you like the current one? I am indecisive between 2 other songs:
https://youtu.be/2E_HvUbzEPY?t=7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX51T-EipOo

Thank you!

I think that's pretty awesome! It's nicely thematically linked with all the green too - some custom enemies can kind of be mish-mashes so it's nice to see something so focused.

I did have one thought: because constant circle-strafing seems to be the only way to stay alive, the wide-spread shotgun style blast is basically harmless because you're always going to be just strafing out of the way.

Attacks like the circular blast and the bouncey grenades were more interesting because they force the player to stop just running in circles.

Pretty good IMO. Be sure to make the boss fight eventually take place on a better terrain than a circular room with flat ground.

Bauul said:

I think that's pretty awesome! It's nicely thematically linked with all the green too - some custom enemies can kind of be mish-mashes so it's nice to see something so focused.

I did have one thought: because constant circle-strafing seems to be the only way to stay alive, the wide-spread shotgun style blast is basically harmless because you're always going to be just strafing out of the way.

Attacks like the circular blast and the bouncey grenades were more interesting because they force the player to stop just running in circles.

Alright. Originally the boss would shoot the projectiles in a much more spread out fashion, but it became really hard to dodge as slowing down just a little would mean death. I'll probably swap out the minigun attack for something a bit more interesting.

scifista42 said:

Pretty good IMO. Be sure to make the boss fight eventually take place on a better terrain than a circular room with flat ground.

I'm planning on making it a bit more visually interesting by adding small elevation differences or missing bricks in the marble (heck, maybe even some pillars on the outside), but I'll probably be keeping the arena a circle, as I just want plenty of room for movement without having to worry about bumping into decoration. The spikes are a way of changing the arena during the fight, as they can be used to take cover.

I agree with designing a more sophisticated attack pattern so that the correct approach isn't to circle-strafe 90% of the time; the fight in the video is somewhat dull. You can accomplish this by creating a more complex environment, too, but I'd prefer fighting a custom boss that is threatening on its own merits.

An example you can use for inspiration: I modified the Archon of Hell to shoot its bursts of three or five projectiles with a wide and semi-random spread, but with no potential overlap, meaning for example that the 'center' projectile would never end up being to the left or right of another projectile in the volley. The result was that effortless circle-strafing, either at full-speed or of the slower sort, was no longer possible. You'd often end up running into the path of a projectile if you tried. It was fun because every shot demanded focus. I had to constantly adjust my movement and weave between projectiles. I think three projectiles is the ideal number for this -- dodging the burst in your video would be quite hellacious if it were random. :D

rdwpa said:

I agree with designing a more sophisticated attack pattern so that the correct approach isn't to circle-strafe 90% of the time; the fight in the video is somewhat dull. You can accomplish this by creating a more complex environment, too, but I'd prefer fighting a custom boss that is threatening on its own merits.

An example you can use for inspiration: I modified the Archon of Hell to shoot its bursts of three or five projectiles with a wide and semi-random spread, but with no potential overlap, meaning for example that the 'center' projectile would never end up being to the left or right of another projectile in the volley. The result was that effortless circle-strafing, either at full-speed or of the slower sort, was no longer possible. You'd often end up running into the path of a projectile if you tried. It was fun because every shot demanded focus. I had to constantly adjust my movement and weave between projectiles. I think three projectiles is the ideal number for this -- dodging the burst in your video would be quite hellacious if it were random. :D

Alright, in that case I'll give a shot at making the primary attack more interesting.
How did you accomplish such a pattern? I'm assuming through different ranges in the random function?
If I change the Circle Strafing Technique, I'm gonna have to modify the speed at which the boss attacks. Since they were designed with the player's movement in mind (for example, the minigun attack and the spike attack)

The monster and the attacks are cool but maybe if the arena was like a stone hedge like arena, it'd give the player a break from circle strafing all the time. Perhaps give it an occasional archvile like fire attack so they have incentive to use it?

Buu342 said:

Alright, in that case I'll give a shot at making the primary attack more interesting.
How did you accomplish such a pattern? I'm assuming through different ranges in the random function?

Yes, exactly.

BOS4 EF 8 Bright A_FaceTarget
BOS4 G 0 Bright A_CustomMissile("BaronBall",28,0,random(16,48),0)
BOS4 G 0 Bright A_CustomMissile("BaronBall",28,0,random(-16,16),0)
BOS4 G 3 Bright A_CustomMissile("BaronBall",28,0,random(-48,-16),0)

Here's what to know:

Don't make it a basic arena fight. Add a twist to it, like activating traps located around the map to weaken it.

Sgt Ender said:

Here's what to know:

Don't make it a basic arena fight. Add a twist to it, like activating traps located around the map to weaken it.

I've never been a big fan of puzzle based boss fights. They break the gameplay for me.

Buu342 said:

I've never been a big fan of puzzle based boss fights. They break the gameplay for me.

Or maybe have a script where it randomly teleports the boss away and it spawns in weaker enemies. Once you kill those enemies, the boss comes back and you have some time to damage it.