Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VentedPennies

SnapMap update

SnapMap

New DOOM Classic Campaign
Added Feature Pack Campaign mission, including new classic DOOM levels

Classic DOOM Content

New classic DOOM modules, props, interactable items, lifts, pickups, sounds, classic player deaths, and music.

Community Support

Community Curation system enables newly published maps to be reviewed and recommended by the community
Community HUB overhauled, which makes finding your favorite content easier
SnapFeed support, allows users to subscribe to authors, players, and maps to get up-to-the-minute details on new content

Custom Environment Creation

Detailed hotspot and tiling textured blocking volumes can be used to create custom environments
Decal Tool to add blood, numbers, demonic symbols, grime, corrosion, and more to your maps
Massive update of new Hell and UAC environment props
Added new container object models

Additional Logic Tools

Copy content and logic from one map to Paste into another
Created multi-level campaign using Next Map Logic
Added Hazard and FX as a category of Spawners
Set color input added for all volumes and hazards
Snap Grid Offsets added to editor settings to allow authors to offset in XYZ coordinate space
POI can now be set on spawner items
Authors can get precise camera position by previewing the camera view within the editor
Added set environment and fade to camera properties
Authors can set their editor view to ignore current module environment settings
Cylinder volumes can be used as shootable triggers
Added support for silent (no VO announcements) lockdowns
No longer need to set a DOOM ID to post to map leaderboards

I've had quite a thorough browse through the new content. I'm guessing that id Software has been noticing the growing number of recent custom maps that rely entirely on blocking volumes and props.

It does look like there's enough there now to build good-looking maps using blocking volumes and props, especially for Hell-themed maps, and there's a fair amount of new stuff for the UAC/techbase stuff as well. Importantly, there's a fair range of textures that can be applied to blocking volumes, including skies. New powerups including Berserk are very welcome additions. A very important improvement is the extra facilities for implementing campaigns.

Still no placeable doors or lifts as far as I can see, so maps using custom architecture still need to find other ways of connecting areas (though we do of course have the jump pads).

Lots of new musical sounds now as well. I never got the hang of how to create music in SnapMap though, it seems a very complicated process.

It looks like there's plenty of scope to create classic Doom-style maps, but without the versatility or custom assets that we can get with the first two Dooms. Probably useful for mappers who want to embed classic Doom maps into secrets though, as per the official campaign.

With the new classic modules it should now be ridiculously easy for mappers to faithfully recreate E1M1. Instead, I'm seriously tempted to attempt recreating E1M1 in a hell theme using mainly hell props and blocking volumes (inspired by someone else's success at recreating E1M1's first two rooms using Skyrim dungeons some time ago).

I get a sense that they're putting in a lot of effort to try and make SnapMap into a very powerful and versatile level design tool; we'll have to see whether the latest update generates much interest. I'm expecting that it will accelerate the community's move away from the pre-built modules and towards custom architecture in the grid rooms.

ENEMY!!! said:

Importantly, there's a fair range of textures that can be applied to blocking volumes, including skies.

Wait... can you apply classic textures to blocking volumes now??

Linguica said:

Wait... can you apply classic textures to blocking volumes now??

You sure can. There's a nice mixture of classic and modern textures!

I'm a bit speechless to be honest. I knew SnapMap would be getting some badass content, but I didn't quite expect this!

I'm at work now, and the update came while I was at bed.

This is some awesome serious stuff, unlike Free Update 3.

- Created multi-level campaign using Next Map Logic
- Snap Grid Offsets added to editor settings to allow authors to offset in XYZ coordinate space
- Authors can get precise camera position by previewing the camera view within the editor
- Added set environment and fade to camera properties
- Authors can set their editor view to ignore current module environment settings

I'm too overjoyed

This. Is. Epic.

I want a 4 week holiday to snapmap. There even might be a small chance I can revive my old map that the dev mode bug corrupted. You know, the map I was always crying about.

If I can revert to older versions of Doom it just might be possible. If not, it may be worth making it from scratch with all the new content and logic.

Now that you mention it, it does remind me of that a bit. I was just kinda making a map as I went though.

Moar testing

VentedPennies said:

Yeah, this update makes it tempting.

But then I think, how many maps did this update just break?

Plenty. Apparently the max object count has been lowered so significantly with this update people can no longer edit or save some of the maps they were working on.

On one hand I am amazed at this update. At the other I can't say it makes me so excited I want to jump in again. Even with the completely revamped hub which may actually solve all the shitty problems we all have been struggling with when trying to find quality maps. I'm sorry to say I have just lost interest.

We had to wait this fucking long for something as basic as decals? Should I do the happy dance now? I bet monsters still completely suck at navigating the blocking volumes which makes all the fanciness that has now become possible rather pointless.

I'm having fun with Shadowwarrior 2 at the moment. Sure its not perfect (in fact its pretty broken) but at least its hilariously fun to play.

I feel a semi "re-launch" possibly with a Doom 2 launch, including all the missing features and needed fixes could help drive interest back in Snap Map once more. But something big also needs to be added as well. Perhaps the inclusion of hand crafted modules and bosses.

Gave it a go. There's a ton of odd features that didn't get directly mentioned, like the ability to create codex-type entries and display them, or the custom radio text messages with accompanying Banjo-Kazooie mumbling from the voice cast. The demons still act all fucky on props though, and the volumes aren't any better. I've seen barons jump through demon-flagged blocks repeatedly, it's a real trip. I like being able to make seamless modifications/additions to modules using the construction props though, I kind of hoped for that from the start. I plan to go through the maps I've already made and add some fixes and tweaks now that I can fill entire rooms with candles and glass and walls and shit.

This update is great.

Jaxxoon R said:

Gave it a go. There's a ton of odd features that didn't get directly mentioned, like the ability to create codex-type entries and display them, or the custom radio text messages with accompanying Banjo-Kazooie mumbling from the voice cast.

Awesome! Gonna check those things out right this second!

It kind of sucks that they leave things out like that. It makes me wonder just how many other things there are to discover. I really wish they'd either make the patch notes more thorough or implement some sort of comprehensive manual or something.

redrage said:

Plenty. Apparently the max object count has been lowered so significantly with this update people can no longer edit or save some of the maps they were working on.

Object count is the same, but they fixed those text switch panels so they count toward limits. I think maps that used too many of those with high limits would crash with multiple players

Jaxxoon R said:

Gave it a go. There's a ton of odd features that didn't get directly mentioned, like the ability to create codex-type entries and display them, or the custom radio text messages with accompanying Banjo-Kazooie mumbling from the voice cast. The demons still act all fucky on props though, and the volumes aren't any better. I've seen barons jump through demon-flagged blocks repeatedly, it's a real trip. I like being able to make seamless modifications/additions to modules using the construction props though, I kind of hoped for that from the start. I plan to go through the maps I've already made and add some fixes and tweaks now that I can fill entire rooms with candles and glass and walls and shit.
http://i.imgur.com/VzdAaaf.jpg
This update is great.

Hey Jaxx, have you figured out how to re-open the Notebook/Datalog after reading messages? I can't for the life of me figure out how to bring it back up after I've closed it. Do you perhaps have to manually bring it back up via logic (like by tying it to one of the User Input keys via a Player Input event) or something?

I also love the Banjo Kazooie-like conversation system. That was a pretty brilliant decision on behalf of the devs, though I wish there were more portraits (like one for each of the demons)!

Wait wait wait......I'm just so lazy to launch SnapMap.....but are you seriously talking about actuall texturing of brushes? I mean I can now put a texture from texture list to a surface?

id.dav said:

Wait wait wait......I'm just so lazy to launch SnapMap.....but are you seriously talking about actuall texturing of brushes? I mean I can now put a texture from texture list to a surface?

Yeah, and there's a decent selection of classic and modern textures. It really is as good as it sounds!

The only thing I wish for now is easier manipulation of blocking volumes. I really wish there was a faster and easier way to change their dimensions than screwing around with numbers.

Just checked! Well guys...now we have some serious mapping here. My congratulations to everybody! I'm not jocking....yes we still sitting withing a prefab, but it is night and day difference with what we had at launch....what I really want now is casting shadows from lights.

Holy shit.....notice that textures are always properly fit according to shape, unlike radiant's brushes where you always need to adjust texture allignment!))))))

id.dav said:

Holy shit.....notice that textures are always properly fit according to shape, unlike radiant's brushes where you always need to adjust texture allignment!))))))

Yeah, that surprised me as well!

Decals are amazing
Interactibles are great
New small/large props are great
Construction materials are a bit lacking, but still good
The new FX and spawner are top of the line great

Also, Blocking Volumes now blocks monsters properly? Neat
I'm very happy with the update, but I feel there will be MORE.

EDIT: Also, did anyone notice textures not loading as fast as it should when in Edit mode? The engine now feels more like RAGE, except it feels like nothing is ever preloaded.

id.dav said:

yes we still sitting withing a prefab

No you're not waiting, as there will never be prefabs. They can't be uploaded/downloaded from the Snapmap servers efficiently, especially factoring in cross platform. I'm almost positive people have explained this to you before.

Related: From what I can tell, the classic Doom modules alone seem to be about 2-3 GB, depending on what the virtualtexture updates represent.

Edward850 said:

No you're not waiting, as there will never be prefabs. They can't be uploaded/downloaded from the Snapmap servers efficiently, especially factoring in cross platform. I'm almost positive people have explained this to you before.

Related: From what I can tell, the classic Doom modules alone seem to be about 2-3 GB, depending on what the virtualtexture updates represent.

What? Waiting? Waiting for what?

Edward850 said:

Who knows, we might get a PC exclusive version in the future.

In any case, don't forget to ask all your editor related questions at the Reddit AMA tonight.

DooM_RO said:

Who knows, we might get a PC exclusive version in the future.

An acquaintance of mine asked them about that at QuakeCon, and was told that they would like to release a map SDK but it's "not likely at this stage" (not exact words). Implying either legal limitations or technology.
Note that a map SDK is an actual complete radiant editor (I have no idea if they are still using anything even Radiant based, mind you), so not exclusive to snapmap, as that would be missing the entire point of snapmap, but rather the game in general. So not prefabs, or anything to do with them.

However, that information could also be hella old by now (this limitations behind such toolsets will change at any moment). I'd probably ignore this information by this point. ... So I'm not even sure why I'm saying it.