Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

Nightmare too easy? Ultra Nightmare too demanding? Try Naked Mode!

If you’re like me, you like DOOM. You like DOOM so much, that even after beating it on Nightmare, you wish there was more [*statement written before Arcade Mode update]. Well have I got news for you! Coming to you from the mind that brought you the “DWmegawad Club” threads and numerous WOOO maps, is Naked Mode! What is Naked Mode you ask? Before you start stripping off your real world garments, understand that it follows four simple rules:

- No Upgrades
- No Weapon Mods
- No Runes
- No HUD

That’s right! You play purely in first person with the weapons you’re given… and that’s it! Naked Mode is the Ultimate way to experience DOOM, enhancing numerous aspects that were underemphasized in the main game:

- Realize! You’re not going to see your health, nor when enemies are Glory Kill-able, so get ready to die a bunch! Without ammo you’ll frequently click your trigger futilely in the face of your foes! And the chainsaw suddenly becomes important in the later stages of the game!
- Utilize! Without mods, the priority of your weapons changes! Suddenly recall how slow the vanilla SSG is! Behold how pitiful the Gauss Cannon basic shot is! Be surprised at how useful the Chaingun’s suppression is! Learn that without the mastering Rocket Launcher’s splash range, or you’re pinky fodder!
- Visualize! Since the end of the game becomes way, way more difficult than in the regular DOOM campaign, you’ll have to start memorizing spawn points and ammo locations! Battles feel less like a harmless game of tag and more like five finger fillet, where one mistake will cost you dearly!
- Memorize! THE BFG IS MY FRIEND! THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT, BUT THIS ONE IS MINE! I MUST MASTER IT AS I MUST MASTER MY LIFE! WITHOUT AMMO, I AM USELESS!

Soon you’ll find yourself saying, “wow, this game probably wasn’t meant to be played this way!” as you die over and over and over again to a fireball behind you or a hell knight you can’t escape! This is hands down one of the best ways to experience one of the best shooters of the year!

Spoiler

Seriously though, for those that are used to UV difficulty in Doom 1-2 pwads nowadays, this an amazing way to experience the new DOOM. Rather than letting you RIP ‘N TEAR through the endgame, you suddenly feel impotent compared to the forces of hell, and you’ll have to frequently swap weapons in order to survive. You’re never sure how much health or ammo you have which keeps you on edge, and without quick-killing weapon upgrades and mods you’ll suddenly learn to fear mancubii and nobles all over again. Playing Naked Mode makes you realize just how ruthless demons truly are, and is one of the best aggressively fun ways to play the game. Plus the final boss actually becomes intimidating.

Bonus points if you’re dumb like me and don’t use any secondary (grenade) items.

I did this except I used a hud, might have to retry without one. it'd be eaisier now with the new weapon positions.

yo, I'v got to say this is still a very cool experience to go through as a doom fan at least once.

What's his name did this on Ultra Nightmare, but with only grenades and a pistol.

Zomeister, hes cool dude, hes 21 in the world on arcade for the first level right now. he's a friend of mine.

No, zero did it the first time on ultra nightmare with no upgrades, he did it after chatting with some of us after I had done it on normal nightmare, he even gave the exact same points that I gave in his video on how no upgrades run was harder then normal.

I don't know get what. You can't actually not get the suit, but it would be amusing if you could. It's too good a thing to actually exist, too pure for this world, if you will.

Jaxxoon R said:

I don't know get what.

Ahh I see, ya it would be really cool, doubt we'll see it happend though.

Quasar said:

Now if you could only skip the Praetor suit and *actually* play as "naked" Doomguy :V

Technically, for the first few minutes of the game, you ARE naked Doomguy. :P

MetroidJunkie said:

Technically, for the first few minutes of the game, you ARE naked Doomguy. :P

I know, I think a mode where you stay that way (bare arm models for the weapons) would be funny ;)