Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LGN-76

Your Favorite Game of All Time

It had to be asked sooner or later, so let's get it over with:
What's your Absolute, #1, Favorite Game of All Time?

Mine is DOOM II. I've said it before on these forums, but the difference here is that it's my Favorite Game of All Time as well as my Favorite DOOM game.

My Favorite "Kid-Friendly" game is Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I have to have one of those because I not only have family members who are either very little or don't like satanic imagery, but I also run an All-Ages gaming program at my local library where shooting and/or M-rated games aren't allowed. Don't get me wrong though, Sonic 3K is a fantastic game in its own right...

RexFesto696 said:

Mine is DOOM II. I've said it before on these forums, but the difference here is that it's my Favorite Game of All Time as well as my Favorite DOOM game.

Frankly, I expect half of this thread to say the same.

So I'm gonna take the opposite side and go against the mainstream by saying "MDK". Beat that.

2217366-vcus.png

Edited by Guest

The Stanley Parable is an extremely good game. It still has more potential, even after the stand-alone "HD edition" was relaesed with some of my improvements, but it's an extreme new quality in many aspects. It's raelly helped by Willam Pugh's mapping. As the original Stanley Parable's mapping is about as good as my mapping in my mods that don't have very good mapping because I don't put in much effort.

It's a part of the charm though, the impressive mapping of William Pugh is really nice but one really fun thing is that Stanley Parable is an extremely simple idea! Some kinds of success require no effort, because they're so beautifully simple. As simple as walking is for a four-dimensional creature, walking in whatever direction. You just kind of have to break free of limitations, somehow. And then, being perfect is effortless. Just as they said in The Beginner's Guide. It was supposed to be satirical there, but still.

ultima underworld is my favourite
a first person dungeon crawler, grid-based but real time rather than steppy
you meet well-written NPCs and solve puzzles, do handmade quests and kill beasties
if you want to keep it old-school you can decide not to pick up the automap and create your own!

would be a 100% perfect game instead of a 99% perfect game if the eight character classes were more varied and the dungeoneering skills were worth buying

I'm seriously having an issue choosing my most favourite. Do I choose the game that gives me the best nostalgia but too dated to appreciate it in vanilla form? Or the game I sunk the most hours in but burnt-out of? Or perhaps my most currently enjoyed game at this present moment? There are a handful I love/d and can't feel definite is my number 1.

Fine. Mount & Blade Warband

It has given me immense gaming pleasure in both single player and multiplayer with some of the best mods available while proving to be great value for money. In addition it provides an opportunity to get really deep into the mechanics that feels satisfying in doing so. Such an humble game that has totally held my interest for years one way or another. Bring on Bannerlord!

But it's not without its flaws.

This is a hard one but my gaming "career" probably peaked during World of Warcraft's Lich King expansion back in 2008-2010.

Swine & Roses said:

Probably the original Unreal. The expansion not so much.

I'll cast the same vote, much as I adore 2.5D FPSes like Wolf3D and Doom 1-2 which are often at the top of my personal top 5 list the first Unreal has captivated me in so many ways and the five or so full playthroughs I've done of it on every difficulty but the easiest have been worth it each time. Honorable mentions to the first Blood and first Quake too, but Unreal is for me the definitive mid 90's 3D shooter.

Can't choose one, but...

Spoiler

Something like that perhaps? Honorable mention to The Witcher 3.

and for last 10 years:

also:

Action: GTA Vice City
Singleplayer FPS: Blood
Multiplayer FPS: QuakeWorld
RTS: Dungeon Keeper
TPS: Heroes Of Might & Magic III
Economic strategy: Transport Tycoon Deluxe
First person RPG: Deus Ex
Third Person RPG: Fallout 2

enough.

1.Deus Ex
2.Doom
3.Unreal Tournament
4.GTA:Vice City
5.Vampire:Bloodlines
6.Blood
7.Carmageddon
8.Age of Empires 2
9.Dungeon Keeper 2
10.Silent Hill 2

That's more or less it, although anything but the first 3 games can probably be replaced with other brilliant games like Mafia, Morrowind, Kingpin, Stalker:Shadow of Chernobyl, System Shock 2, RE:Remake etc.

Some of mine, in no particular order:

1. Ori and the Blind Forest
2. Doom
3. Trine
4. BattleBlock Theater
5. Guild Wars 2
6. A Story About My Uncle
7. Bioshock
8. Unreal
9. Rayman Origins
10. Crash Bandicoot 2

My #1 favourite game, in the FPS genre, it's Rise of the Triad. May not be as groundbreaking as Doom due to running under a modified Wolf 3D engine, but it's pretty fun and entertaining with all its goofy moments, it's an Apogee title, they did the best they could with the limitations to make a great shooter, and there's of course the music. So catchy and pumping, and there's so many tracks from the game I enjoy listening too.

In terms of "kid-friendly" games, my most favourite one has to be Commander Keen. A series that has been part of my childhood, solid and fun platforming experience, tons of memorable characters like the Dopefish in Episode 4: Secret of the Oracle, and as no one should forget, it was what got id Software into the spotlight.

In no particular order:

Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
Blood: One Unit Whole Blood
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Mass Effect 2
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Age of Pirates II: City of Abandoned Ships
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike

Now it's a lot more than 10 but I guess these ones stand out a lot for me, however there's a lot of others I could swap for ones already present but I have to restrict myself to 10 right now.

I don't know, I'v played literally thousands of games. Obviosly Doom is up there. There are so many spectacular games and all you can only play so much of, other then doom that is. If I gave a list of games I'd highly remend it would be long. as for modern games Id go with DOOM'16 no joke. (edit) eh screw it, I list some.

Halo3
Dark souls 1,
Re4
Ninja gaiden 2,
Gears of war 3,
GTA 5,
All metal gear games.
I'll just stop there. I should write a detailed page about this subject and just paste it every time we have this thread.

DOOM II
FTL
TF2
Mario 3
Super Mario World

In addition to DOOM and Sonic, here's a list of game series that I repeatedly enjoy over all the rest, with my favorite game in that particular series following it:

FIRST-PERSON SHOOTERS (My main genre):
Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein 3D

Quake
Quake II

Unreal
Unreal Tournament 2004

Halo
Halo 1

Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem 3D

FIGHTING GAMES (My second main genre):
Mortal Kombat
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Street Fighter
Street Fighter Alpha 3

Tekken
Tekken Tag Tournament

SoulCalibur
SoulCalibur II

Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct 1

EVERYTHING ELSE:
Gauntlet
Gauntlet Dark Legacy

Super Mario
Super Mario World

Pac-Man
The Original Arcade Game

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2

Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 1

The Legend of Zelda
Ocarina of Time

Diablo
Diablo II

Thief
Thief Gold

The Elder Scrolls
Morrowind

That's it off the top of my head, but there's more for sure...