Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LGN-76

Your Favorite Game of All Time

There's too many, but i'll say Gran Turismo 2 and Gran Turismo 4, Midnight Club 3:Dub Edition Remix, Gran Turismo 2, hands down, best PSX racing game, racing mods are great, Gran Turismo 4 because it's a legend, although i still think GT2 is better, because of those 24h races, i don't know what the hell was Polyphony thinking, but those races prevented me from enjoying the game at it's fullest.
Midnight Club 3:Dub Edition Remix, because, japanese imports, choppers, bikes, SUVs, luxury cars, supercars, pickup trucks, muscle cars, a lot of customization, i 100% that game some years ago, was worth it, also special abilites that can be used against both traffic and opponents.

What is wrong with people? This is not a top10 list of your favourite games. The thread is specifically about your NUMBER ONE favourite game. What's so hard to understand about that?

Touchdown said:

What is wrong with people? This is not a top10 list of your favourite games. The thread is specifically about your NUMBER ONE favourite game. What's so hard to understand about that?

Wee woo wee woo! Everyone barricade the door! He's gonna bust it down!

Honestly limiting yourself to just one entire game is like limiting yourself to one film, one book, one album. Most people have a lot of diversity, and cutting it down to the wire isn't always feasible. And then your mood and your tastes can change over time.

Since we had a top ten FPS thread once and this one appears to be a top ten anything now I'll put mine, in order of release:

1. Wolfenstein 3D
2. The Ultimate Doom
3. Hexen: Beyond Heretic
4. Quake
5. Diablo
6. Blood
7. Carmageddon
8. Unreal
9. Silent Hill
10. Manhunt

That was hard to do even with ten. There's just too many games that I heavily admire. Honorable mentions to Postal, Grand Theft Auto III, Max Payne, Devil May Cry, and F.E.A.R.

Cyanosis said:

Honestly limiting yourself to just one entire game is like limiting yourself to one film, one book, one album. Most people have a lot of diversity, and cutting it down to the wire isn't always feasible. And then your mood and your tastes can change over time.

And that's the problem, you just don't get it. Choosing one thing for the sake of a single thread does not mean you only like that one thing. It's just a hypothetical 'if you HAD to choose just one, what would it be' and believe me, nobody's going to think the less of you because of it and your precious online reputation will not suffer from that. Making a laundry list is missing the point.

Touchdown said:

And that's the problem, you just don't get it. Choosing one thing for the sake of a single thread does not mean you only like that one thing. It's just a hypothetical 'if you HAD to choose just one, what would it be'

They can't choose, that's your answer.

If I had to choose just one game to bring to some desert island (with power somehow??) it would be Doom 2, but I would sorely miss some older Mario titles (SMB 1-3, Lost Levels, SMW, Mario64 and Sunshine), Street Fighter 2, Super Smash Brothers and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. I also like Mortal Kombat 1-3 and 9 enough to give them a mention, but at the end of the day, Doom 2 takes the cake.

Obviously I love Doom 1 and Final Doom but I dunno, the maps in Doom 2 are more fun as some of D1 still retains that "hallway shooter" feel from Wolf3D.

Mines are in no particular order either.

-The classic Doom games are a favourite of mine but not a contender for best game as
I feel most of the custom content created for it far outweighs the content of the
original material. Just thought i'd throw that out there.

-Along with quite a few of you I absolutely adore Thief 1 and 2, really immersive, atmospheric and strategic games with just the right balance between interactivity, exploration and fun gameplay.

-Unreal Tournament, the 1999 original, is still my favourite multiplayer FPS of all time and while I don't personally understand how someone could like Quake 3 Arena over it, I won't argue with them. It's just got such a badass, action packed feel to it with the right level of oomph and excitement you would expect from such an action oriented game.

-The Portal games are always great when i'm not in the mood for something violent, I love the 3D first person puzzle solving aspect as well as that exciting feeling you get when you solve a test chamber.

-Blood is one of the most fun, over the top and violent games i've ever played. I love the gritty, grindhouse atmosphere and the level of destruction you can cause, plus Caleb is such a funny, endearing character. I haven't seen a shooter that recreates that kind of feeling since. Painkiller comes close but lacks the exploration and strategic elements it had, as well as the explosive punch of the weapons.

-Rayman 2 is almost the best game i've ever played, it's still my favourite platformer. It's a treat to the senses, the music and sound is utterly brilliant and has never left my head, the visuals are incredibly colourful, well done and consistent and the gameplay is very fun, challenging and fluid.

-The Jak and Daxter trilogy, like Rayman 2 above, are great Third person games, 2 and 3 are particularly fun due to the excellent vehicles and weapons.

There's plenty of other games I love, but if I were to list them all, this post would go on forever.

Doomkid said:

If I had to choose just one game to bring to some desert island (with power somehow??) it would be Doom 2, but I would sorely miss some older Mario titles (SMB 1-3, Lost Levels, SMW, Mario64 and Sunshine), Street Fighter 2, Super Smash Brothers and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. I also like Mortal Kombat 1-3 and 9 enough to give them a mention, but at the end of the day, Doom 2 takes the cake.

Obviously I love Doom 1 and Final Doom but I dunno, the maps in Doom 2 are more fun as some of D1 still retains that "hallway shooter" feel from Wolf3D.

If I had to take all mapping and modding content into consideration then Doom II is a no-brainer, there's more for it than I'll ever be able to play in one lifetime and the gameplay is simply timeless.

As for the 'hallway shooter' vibe from Wolf3D it makes sense given the first Doom was shortly after but I feel it lends to D1's atmosphere as a whole whereas D2 is much more vertical and spacious. A lot like how the first Half-Life was mostly underground and HL2 was largely outside.

I agree, and just to clarify I do find an extreme nostalgic joy in that hall shooter vibe. I mentioned Final Doom but in truth those feel like 'commercial Doom 2 pwads' so I find it difficult to mentally separate them from D2, where as D1 has enough differences to feel like its own game (Imo)

There are many games I really like so it's hard to pick

Doom 64 is my favorite shooter of all time though.

It's impossible for me to pick one, because each one is my absolute favorite if I'm in the mood for [insert genre]. :p

90's - early 2000's stuff: Thief, Unreal, Heretic, Rune, and Castlevania series..

New stuff... Total War: Warhammer, Alice: Madness Returns,

And newer platformers like the Shantae series, and Shovel Knight since they go beyond imitating the past and stand on their own with great level design, mixing old school visuals with a modern aesthetically pleasing flair, great music and both create a charming universe with likeable characters and great humor (if you have bad sense of humor like me ;P). I could write a book on what makes those two games so amazing!

Going back into my childhood I would probably say my favourite game was Rollercoaster Tycoon. Oddly enough as much as I like playing games I have always liked creating stuff of my own (of course the caveat being without the core programming stuff). That probably explains why most of my time with Doom is spent creating maps rather than playing them.

This might be the only game I have ever been good at.

LOL at the realistic cover art though; who were they fooling

Changes depending on my mood really...

One of those games that still defines a genre today, much like Doom does. It's never been topped. SoR2 has my all time favourite soundtrack and the gameplay never gets old, co-op on Mania difficulty is so so amazing.

Close contenders (ask me on a different day and i could easily give one of these as my answer):

Sonic 1
Lemmings
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (that fucking soundtrack)
Doom/Doom II
Mario 3
GTA III (the sequels were 'better' but this was such an incredible game changer at the time)
C&C Red Alert
Crash Bandicoot 2
Gran Turismo 2
WWF Smackdown

My favorite games were Doom, Doom 2, Super Mario 64, The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina of time, Sonic Lost World, Super Mario 3D World, and that is about it.

#1 is ZZT, largely because of the community it spawned

Runners up:

Doom
Betrayal at Krondor
Nethack
Penumbra series
Monkey Island series
Stanley Parable
Wing Commander 1-2
Wurm Online
Scratches

My favorite FPS:
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Rise Of The Triad
Heretic
Hexen
XIII (love the graphic novel style rendering)
Descent
Star Wars: Dark Forces

Honorable Mention:
Wolfenstein (2009)
Medal Of Honor series
Bard's Tale and Ultima (3D, but not really a shooter)

Feirup said:

Another favorite of mine:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/battlefront/images/9/92/Star_Wars_Battlefront_II_wallpaper.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070714214636

Never really been into Star Wars, but this game was pretty damn awesome.

Battlefront II had the incredible ability to take non-gamers and non-Star Wars fans and give them all something in common to enjoy. I remember when it came out and people in my class who as far as I knew had never played video games before were gushing about it. It was sort of incredible. I love the game too, but I always felt it had some serious flaws and was somewhat inferior to Battlefront I. But damn, was it fun anyways.