Find results in...
ThePetitDwarf

Would you finance a PWAD project?

Would you finance a PWAD project?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Would you finance a PWAD project?

• If it seems promising, of course.
    • No, under any terms.

I think the community would lose its magic if money started coming into play. I couldn't even think of another artistic endeavour that comes close to modern Doom modding where money is not an issue and which churns out so much creativity and enjoyment for its followers.

Two words... HELL NO.

Mind you, gone are the days where WAD compilations such as D!Zone, Demon Gate, etc. were popular.

I'd have paid money for BTSX, Square, and certain other releases, so yes. I think there are obviously questions about what the larger impact would be, but I'm not morally opposed to paying for things I like.

yakfak said:

on the other hand I'd encourage all the best creators to make themselves donateable to in some fashion, through bandcamp or such methods.

Patreon triggered to map releases seems like a reasonable model that I'd be happy to kick in to for certain mappers. It would be less about rewarding them for what they're going to create and more about paying them back for what they've already made.

scotty said:

... No Rest for the Living is not even close to being as good as the likes of BTSX, Ancient Aliens, Sunlust, etc.

Matter of taste imo. I prefer NRftL to BTSX, and AA tops it only because of the unique theme. These days, modern polished "impressive" maps aren't really enough to satisfy me, on their lonesome -- I really liked the things NRftL did that wouldn't really fit with the technically sound but sterile modern "professional" approach.

I sound like Memfis, but yeah, in recent times I understand exactly where he is coming from.

In a head on fashion as if it were a normal product? lolno. I think crowdfunding for new assets done professionally Would be neat. As mentioned there are soooo many great wads still waiting to be played.

Isn't anywhere a statement from id that you should not get any money from pwad? Or is it something I always believed without reason?

Angry Saint said:

Isn't anywhere a statement from id that you should not get any money from pwad?

That was from the Doom EULA and Data Utility License.
I doubt if that's still relevant, since the source code was released...

rdwpa said:

Matter of taste imo. I prefer NRftL to BTSX, and AA tops it only because of the unique theme. These days, modern polished "impressive" maps aren't really enough to satisfy me, on their lonesome -- I really liked the things NRftL did that wouldn't really fit with the technically sound but sterile modern "professional" approach.

I sound like Memfis, but yeah, in recent times I understand exactly where he is coming from.

I wasn't trying to compare specific mapsets, just the point that community stuff can easily stack up against something 'paid' and done by pro level designers.

Sorry for not asking again in a long time.

So I've read all of your comments, and all of them seem to be reasonable. However, It seems that I have to change my mind.

What I love about the Doom community is the creativity of people creating content for everyone and as a hobby, not as a job -which somehow reminds me of the Open-Source philosophy. So yeah, looks like it's better mods keep being a voluntary effort.

Thanks for all your opinions.

Before this thread ends, I just want to throw in my opinion.

Would I finance a Pwad like if it was a kickstarter project? Nup.

But if I played a good megawad or various separate wads from an artist I really loved, to the extent that I'm a big enough fan to watch his / her work carefully then its somewhat plausible. But I would want value and confidence in the investment, and I wouldn't invest much to begin with.

If I was excited for a new installment of something and I was approached by the artist to say "If you donate $50, I will make a particular map dedicated to your choice of theme with a unique monster added and difficulty curve / traps can be dictated by yours truly" then I would actually consider it. Again, assuming I'm already sold on their work.

You guys need to understand the difference between paying for a product and financing a project to be made.

I think people are comfortable with the idea of paying for a wad like the ones that have already been made because they have paid for things much worse.

When you finance a wad, you're paying someone to make something, and that puts a sticky situation between the wad maker and the fans. Your money coincides with the weight of your opinion on the outcome of their project. When you're putting money into someone's pockets, you also create the opportunity to yank that money back out. This puts the mapper in a highly pressured situation to keep the money coming, whilst making something tailored to the sponsor's tastes rather than their own. The mapper may also change their quality of life with the extra income. If they're receiving money, they buy some extra stuff with their credit card, and you decide you don't want to keep contributing to this person, you'll put the mapper in debt because they expected to have money at some point and now they don't.

There's a retarded amount of drama that can come out of this because you didn't look that far ahead of the mapper/sponsor relationship. I assume the money would probably be pretty menial so its probably not as devastating as investing in someone who wants to start a wad making company, but the problems are still the same in a lesser measure.

If I was rich enough not to miss the money I'd consider a mapping contest with a big cash prize and then compile the best entries into a PWAD. Just to see what people would create with a potential financial incentive.

purist said:

If I was rich enough not to miss the money I'd consider a mapping contest with a big cash prize and then compile the best entries into a PWAD. Just to see what people would create with a potential financial incentive.

This is kinda sorta what happened with https://doomwiki.org/wiki/10_Sectors

I think this is an interesting discussion and it's been on my mind lately. I personally think that it's perfectly okay to finance a PWAD / Doom mod if the ambitions are worth it.

Voros said:

A PWAD project? No.
An IWAD project? Yes.

This! So much this!

Except for the fact that I don't have any money to donate.

Not sure exactly how we're defining stuff (e.g. the kickstarter vs. paying for a finished product distinction) but I'd pay money to have some cancelled or development hell'd projects that I'd been looking for completed, in their originally anticipated form. Stuff like TSoZD or Demon Eclipse. Likewise, I'd probably pay a bit of money for some of the megawads I've really enjoyed.

Paying for a PWAD project outright sounds ridiculous, but Patreon support to our favourite mappers or mapping groups seems like a wonderful idea if said people are responsible about it.