Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Serge Jkn

Doom II: City of Sin released! (V 1.2)

Sorry for the late reply, several parts busy/lazy this week.

A well crafted minimalist set, which I appreciate. I like the way it has a doom2 earth theme going, but darker and a bit more industrial and "weighty" feeling architecture than the id maps. The heightened detail over id maps though makes for a very messy automap, which is fixable but minor nitpick.

Linear, but the popcorn size of the first 3 maps makes it totally appropriate, "get in, kill some baddies, get out". The RL placement in map13 was frustrating, how it's right in the natural path one would take to dodge the Revenant, so the autoswitch forces you to eat major damage.

I love your concept of map15, but there were some problems with the execution imo. First, the two sets of raising platforms stopped halfway so I spent a ton of time looking for another button but ultimately assumed it was a bug and noclipped across. Second I think the map would benefit greatly from letting the player get keys in any order, since it seems like it'd be a great nonlinear playground like "Downtown" whose spirit it's channeling. My last problem was how the ultimate goal was not communicated to the player (as far as I know), just all of a sudden you take a teleporter and oh it's time to pump a rocket into the bossbrain. I was conserving that invuln and ammo expecting for a huge melee in the streets, alas ;-(

Played through all 4 Maps and can say that this was a well designed little map pack :) also i realy like the music choice, especially the Map 13 one. even though the first 3 Maps used most of the time the same Textures each map feels different. City of the Sin is a nice looking Map but maybe a little to easy before the Icon of Sin starts to fire ;) but all in all well done

You should get this up on /idgames/ if you haven't already uploaded it.

Thanks for the feedback!

@Vorpal:

- can you remember when exactly the error with the raising platforms occurred? Which engine were you using?

- my first idea was indeed to let the player get the keys in random order but I wanted the player to go a little back and forth in order to let the Icon of Sin spawn enough monsters to keep it challenging.

- I agree with the placement of the rocket launcher. I will fix this.

@DAZZER: Indeed it's a little easy in the beginning but I'm hoping you got a nice challenge after the icon woke up :)

@glaice: I will as soon as get rid of some bugs.

Saliva said:

- can you remember when exactly the error with the raising platforms occurred? Which engine were you using?

The long row of platforms with the medkits on each one, and then the platform(s) that raise near the yellow key. I could only figure out how to raise them halfway, maybe there were buttons I missed? Zdoom

@Vorpal: I tested the maps with the latest version of Zdoom but I couldn't recreate the bug with the raising platforms on map 15 you mentioned.

Fixed the position of the Rocket Launcher.