Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArchangelOfHell

PHØBØS¦ The Argent Anomaly

Alrighty, so I gave it a whirl, so a more in-depth review:

Architecturally, the custom stuff you've done was pretty good. Sometimes demons would snag on some of the deco, but it wasn't a big deal. However, it would be less noticeable if some of the balancing issues were fixed. With different critters there would be no literal snags, and I'll get to why later. IMO, the balancing is what can bring this map (and potentially campaign) from good to great. :)

Too many heavy hitters are introduced early on - and if this is a campaign level, possessed security should be the upper tier of monster for such a small map. (hell, a security ambush with their shields would make a nice 'pseudo boss puzzle' for near map's end). Fill it with possessed workers, engineers, soldiers, imps, etc. The same goes for weapons, and even though we picked up most of the arsenal early on, I found myself dying alot in the first interior room with the berserk powerup... AND I found myself restarting with just the burst rifle. Make the weapons respawn and have the player retain items / inventory upon death in gameplay settings. Set the loadout to the map starting not the player respawn, unless you establish checkpints with later player starts.

If this will be part of a campaign (likely due to the shortness of the actual map), I'd still recommend the burst rifle as a starter weapon (it's a weak to moderatley powerful armament, like the pistol or lightning gun) and progress to a basic shotgun after that. Than throw in either the pistol or lightning gun, OR the HAR. All moderate weaponry. The outdoors ares should have a secret to upgrade one of these weapons with say a Hell Tablet triggering a player proxy. Also if you opt to place individual ammo manually, keep in mind that lightning gun and burst rifle burn through their respective ammo types faster than the pistol / plasmagun and HAR / chaingun. Snapmap gives the same ammotypes to each weapon in duplicate, so as u give the player more weapons keep in mind that ammo will go a longer way (just like universal ammo does).

Yeah its definitely a work in progress, thanks for the quick feedback! Just wanted to show more or less what you could make visually for the new guys. Also just learned if objects are static it uses almost no network. Thanksagain gents, will fix everything today. Update. Fixed some of the extreme difficulty also fyi theres a secret bfg on the far left outside :)

Thanks man, here is the next stage in the campaign.
B2BR843L
Deimos Mission unknown

After taking the elevator to Delta Labs it stalls halfway, continue towards your objective.

Warning, this campaign is meant to be difficult. I'd recommend this one for a challenge.

Hey, just finished your second map (Deimos Mission Unknown). Cool stuff. Like ShadesMaster said, pretty good architecture, and now you have really good heavy-hitter enemy placements. Kind of intimidating at first, though, seeing a Baron spawn at the first u-bend.

Also, I'm not sure if you intentionally put the BFG at the start. If that's your way of saying, "this map is REALLY hard", great job of doing so!

Have some suggestions though:
You might want to set your knee-high props to [Is solid: FALSE]. That way it will not obstruct players who move around too much. Getting pinned between an Hellknight and a small skeleton prop, for example, makes for frustrating gameplay.

Also, lives system is good, but loops back the welcome messages. Link the Welcome messages to a Map Object to stop it from recurring.

Lastly: Powerups that are meant to be setpieces should be set with Any AI custom filter to avoid players from accidentally touching/using it (the Demon Rune in the O of Destruction module).

Haven't played the first map yet, but I'll get to it later. Pretty happy with your map! Keep it up! :)

Edit: Oh, yeah, vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GtEgcZMa8E

Thanks man! Updated the map late last night, got most of the issues taken care of thanks to the quick feedback from everyone! Added some content aswell, going static on objects freed a ton of network, definitely the way to go. The next maps underway, stay tuned for Delta Labs :D

Hey Updated the map again if anyones ever interested, still a work in progress. Almost finished with Delta labs. Updated custom demons, scenery and lore/secrets.

I managed to play one of the maps in co-op, sadly it looks like all the others make the client crash, this is a bug in snapmap ever since the latest update.. They'll work fine solo but some of your maps are unplayable co-op due to that damn bug the devs introduced

Anyways, we both died after getting past the red door, not only did we loose all our weapons, we also lost the redkey card.. Thus we couldn't progress any further because the game spawns us back at the start :p

Another thing to keep in mind, you should always set it so when one player picks up a keycard, the other player gets it as well.. I had to relie on my friend to open the red doors

Other then that, first impressions were great.. That custom geo is fantastically done and the pacing/gameplay was spot on, not too hard, and not too easy!

I'll get around to trying them again sometime, and give them a proper playthough.. Atm though I'm just hoping the devs fix this damn snapmap bug >.<

Hey there. I was trying your first map but it gets game-breaking laggy. When you go up the stair and touch the green-stony-thingie and the Cacos show up and the demon is talking... it lagged the blur effect so even after the lag itself went away, I still had to play with a blurred vision for a while.

I think the problem might be cuz of the custom geo thing. I haven't tried building any maps based on it, but as interesting as it may seem, it seems to have a few inherit problems to go with it. I've also noticed on other custom geo maps that the AI isn't very good at navigating through the level, getting stuck on columns or just piling up against a wall...

It looked really interesting. I loved the atmosphere. But I couldn't play the whole thing. Sorry.

Thanks gents I'm glad you both enjoyed them. I hear you, there still a work in progress and constantly make periodic updates these nights, Noted! Was trying to paint a picture of possible moon techbase environments, indeed the update severely slowed down everything.

Yeah, my experience was similar to Lazy Cat's. I thought the level looked great and the atmosphere was fantastic, but the frame-rate quickly dropped to a crawl for a while and then I had the "blurred vision". (On PS4 Pro)