Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

What am I doing wrong (embedded door switch)

http://www.megafileupload.com/gd00/door_switch.wad

I am trying to create a door that has a switch inside of it. Not just on it. Boom compatibility.

I have gotten to a point where it almost works except the lower part of the switch sector does not follow the rest upwards. I tried doing some unpegging, but to no avail.

VGA said:

http://www.megafileupload.com/gd00/door_switch.wad

I am trying to create a door that has a switch inside of it. Not just on it. Boom compatibility.

I have gotten to a point where it almost works except the lower part of the switch sector does not follow the rest upwards. I tried doing some unpegging, but to no avail.

It's imposable the way you have it set up you have a ceiling texture tagged as 1 and a floor texture tagged as 1 the ceiling and floor can't be raised together.

I've created a brand new texture by merging the BIGDOOR2 and the SW1EXIT and SW2EXIT switch together and made a SWITCHES file.

here's the file to it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u6dq9c1fzekd26r/door_switch.wad

VGA said:

except the lower part of the switch sector does not follow the rest upwards.

The lower part of the switch is a floor, so that, if it went upwards, it would basically close that part of the door rather than open it. However, you can make the switch activate a voodoo-doll script that will make the lower part of the switch go down and simultaneously the rest of the door go up. BrutalDoomisAwesome's solution seems cleaner, though.

scifista42 said:

The lower part of the switch is a floor, so that, if it went upwards, it would basically close that part of the door rather than open it. However, you can make the switch activate a voodoo-doll script that will make the lower part of the switch go down and simultaneously the rest of the door go up. BrutalDoomisAwesome's solution seems cleaner, though.

I understand what you are saying, so basically the switch needs to activate two linedefs at the same time, hmm. I will check out voodoo doll stuff.

BrutalDoomisAwesome's solution wad is not even boom-compatible. Also, I know how to put a switch patch over a door patch and make a new texture, the goal of this thread is to create a door with a switch/panel that is inside the door. So it's not just a flat door (sector) but it looks like it has a mechanism inside it. Also, imagine non-stock textures heh.

Im a bit confused as to what you're going for; I tried to download your example wad here and I can't even find a download link on that site. It just keeps opening Google Play on this phone for random apps. If I can see what you are going for, I may be of some small use, but as it is, I cannot.

Another take on it (using modified textures and broken sectors though) --> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56320770/td-transparent-door2.wad

It is a door linedef type that uses a hidden sw1 texture in lower tex field of door for switch sound and switch is not animated (red key side). On the yellow key side I made the door a sw1/2 edit to add in a dodgey bit of animation for the switch activation :( I used Boom types for key locks, but standard door types in vanilla are OK - but the dodgey switch effect is more noticeable on non-fast doors ;)

Empyre said:

If you use pass-through, you won't need to use a voodoo doll. I whipped up an example wad for you: switch-in-door-test.wad.

Here is a better example wad (based on Empyre's one) that:

1. Makes the whole door seem to actually go up, as VGA originally wanted.
2. Uses only 1 tag instead of 3.
3. Significantly reduces the risk that you'll activate the pass-thru linedef without activating the switch behind it, which would have happened in the original example if the player pressed the "side" of the switch. The risk is still there, if the player stood at just the right distance from the switch that the pass-thru linedef would be within his press-use range but the switch not, but that's unavoidable when you use pass-thru linedefs.

While Empyre's and scifista42's hacky approach work well with turbo speed doors, that falls apart miserably when the door moves slowly.

traversd's approach is simple and elegant, and works equally well with turbo or slow. I would use that one.

Kappes Buur said:

While Empyre's and scifista42's hacky approach work well with turbo speed doors, that falls apart miserably when the door moves slowly.

In my example, it's perfectly possible to make the switch's floor part go down at turbo speed (disappearing practically instantly), while simultaneously making the rest of the door raise slowly (looking as normal as it can).