• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MinerOfWorlds

Is Boom good?

VGA said:

I don't even find <60 playable.

But anyway, use whatever you like, it's free stuff :P

How do you not find 60 fps playable? i still think snes doom is more then playable

Graf Zahl said:

I said 'not playable for other reasons' as in 'the map cannot really be played'.

That's a bad map

Voros said:

Yeah, vanilla doom. But i play with uncapped fps (PrBoom+), it feels much more smoother although i think capping the fps to 66, the default number, is more than enough for me. But meh. 25-35 is playable, yes. More than playable, not really.

Choose whatever you like, it is free after all!

I guess i play more console game's then pc (my pc suck's) so i'm used to 30 fps so 30 fps is great for me

MinerOfWorlds said:

How do you not find 60 fps playable?

I said I don't find less than 35 playable, or I should say enjoyable.

It's simple,I want frame interpolation and usually enable Vsync if it doesn't make things worse.

VGA said:

I said I don't find less than 35 playable, or I should say enjoyable.

It's simple,I want frame interpolation and usually enable Vsync if it doesn't make things worse.

Okay i guess i didn't see that i still don't see how less than 35 is not enjoyable (i think 15 and less is where i would say it's not enjoyable) but all my game's are locked at 30 so i'm used to it

MinerOfWorlds said:

Okay i guess i didn't see that i still don't see how less than 35 is not enjoyable (i think 15 and less is where i would say it's not enjoyable) but all my game's are locked at 30 so i'm used to it

Maybe your eyes cannot visually differentiate more than 20 fps. I can make out upwards of 200 fps, but 60 is a very low-end threshold where fast movement begins to blend naturally for me. 120 is much better still.

Since the topic became about framerates, am I the only one who is only able to aim properly at 35 fps? The game is much smoother at 60 obviously, but I also feel like my aiming is slightly delayed. I know Chaindude also experienced this, but it just seems absurd when I think about it. Maybe it's just what I'm used to. (High frame rates also make me slightly nauseous after long sessions, but that's neither here nor there)

Doomkid said:

am I the only one who is only able to aim properly at 35 fps?

If you play game's at 30-35 fps that can be why your used to it

Doomkid said:

(High frame rates also make me slightly nauseous after long sessions, but that's neither here nor there)

What? isn't that why vr is only good at 120 fps it feels more natural?

Doomkid said:

Since the topic became about framerates, am I the only one who is only able to aim properly at 35 fps?

I play on DOS and do fine, however, if I'm going to peg a feeling of worse control in ports on anything, it would be the mouse settings not being exactly identical and causing me to overshoot/undershoot the rotations.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I play on DOS

How do you play on DOS? dosbox or a computer with dos?

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

the mouse settings not being exactly identical and causing me to overshoot/undershoot the rotations.

Are you talking about doom?

MinerOfWorlds said:

How do you play on DOS? dosbox or a computer with dos?

The latter. It's really more of a Windows 98 era machine, but I rig it up with a DOS mode boot disk for a lot of stuff.

MinerOfWorlds said:

Are you talking about doom?

Yes.

raymoohawk said:

am i the only one confused by the car analogies?

Ooo I love analogies; "here's an old [analogy] I made on the subject,"

Fonze said:

Blah blah blah stupid crap... --> analogy) comparing zDoom to Boom is like comparing woodwork with power tools to woodwork with hand tools. Sure, you can make some amazing things with hand tools, but a machine can do so much better, so much faster. Just for fun let's complete the analogy: limit-removing is like whittling with just a small knife and I guess that means vanilla is just some guy rubbing his wood hoping something sticks.

Apparently I forgot to note GzDoom in there, which would be like working with computer-assisted power tools.

Somebody had mentioned demos and speedrunning and whatnot, so let me throw out there that if demos were solely for speedrunning then they would have most certainly become unused over time. Demos are also for feedback from playtesters to map authors. The great thing about them: I don't have to have anything more than a toaster to record or watch them. Recording videos can be a pain at times, especially getting everything set up the first time and let alone the HD space that will be taken up by such a huge file. Compare that to a demo that's less than 1 MB at an hour long (iirc). Imo demos are one of Doom's greatest assets that simply should not be ignored; it's recording a video of you playing without all the bullshit that comes with recording videos. If a picture is worth a thousand words, what is a video/demo worth?

On 11/1/2016 at 6:42 AM, MinerOfWorlds said:

But everyone uses gzdoom or zandronum

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Joke of the year lol 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

DSDA, Woof!, PrBoom plus is also used by many people who prefer strict Vanilla/Boom gameplay and for demo recording purposes, which ZDoom based ports lack...

Edited by Heck Yeah : Joke of the year!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, Heck Yeah said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Joke of the year lol 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

DSDA, Woof!, PrBoom plus is also used by many people who prefer strict Vanilla/Boom gameplay and for demo recording purposes, which ZDoom based ports lack...

I definitely need the search engine you are using in order to find these kinds of threads for you necrobump over 6 years after the fact.

Because that's one good search engine that i am currently missing.

On 11/1/2016 at 1:18 PM, MinerOfWorlds said:

Are demo's really needed and speedrunning just record it and upload it to youtube

Demo recording and speedrunning is the core/heart of Doom game.

Shame on you, you are insulting demo recording and speedrunning community by saying **are demos and speedrunning really needed.**

On 1/17/2023 at 6:04 AM, Redneckerz said:

I definitely need the search engine you are using in order to find these kinds of threads for you necrobump over 6 years after the fact.

Because that's one good search engine that i am currently missing.

Its Google Chrome lol

10 minutes ago, Heck Yeah said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Joke of the year lol 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Glad you necroed this one. So many funny statements in this thread.