• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Perdition's Gate

November, 2016

>>> Download Perdition's Gate <<<

Leaderboard & Streaming Schedule

1. mediafire.com/file/pam3nsem5bb9p71/]# Survived +2 [01:38:06] Bloodite Krypto - Pfft, I could have beat that if I put my back into it. Easy. Calling all shockblasts!
  2. # Survived +2 [02:15:05] WH-Wilou84 - True to form as always... ignoring the massive blunder at the last hurdle. Good show.
  3. # Survived +2 [02:27:01] Alfonzo - It's like you can almost see the snail slime snotting up the turf after I exit each level. Still, though...!
  4. # Survived +2 [02:44:29] DRL 3.33 - Map10 almost mops up again, but newcomer DRL pulls through in style. (EE playback)
  5. # Survived +2 [03:12:01] Archi - Woah, that map31 "puzzle" is really putting on a show. A good run for a blind man!
  6. # Map30: rehelekretep - Tried to run to the nearest teleport device; had his brains 'ported out of his skull by cybers, instead.
  7. # Map27: ZeroMaster010 - A bad balance of hanging corpses and quality HK hits, and all of it playing out in front of a megasphere. So close!
  8. # Map20: CapnClever - Bony reception at the gates of Hell; bobbing for all eternity.
  9. # Map14: Anima Zero - Keep your arms and legs inside the gazebo at all times. (DNF)
  10. # Map13: 4shockblast - Extraordinary men beget extraordinary archviles.
    Spoiler

11. # Map10: cannonball - An archvile is revealed! Zombies get the chocolates. (illegal skill settings)
  12. # Map10: DaIcemann76 - Chalked one up for Nukage Steve, the experimental super-cyber.
  13. # Map10: Jimmy - Well that's just silly. Telefragging barrels the new meta?
  14. # Map10: Suitepee - Steve was just happy to watch him melt. No, I will not fire. Outstanding!
  15. # Map10: Capellan - What sort of name is Steve for a cyberdemon, anyway?
  16. # Map09: Rathori - All cyberdemons are experienced jousters, tbh.
  17. # Map09: Preliatus - Soaked up the spider juice; ran screaming into a fireball.
  18. # Map08: JudgeDeadd - Next round of that zombieman's beers is on the culprit!
  19. # Map07: Ancalagon - Should nea backpedaled. That door is ruthless. (DNF)
  20. # Map07: NoisyVelvet - Has a ways to go before it catches up with Steve, but this shitty door is pulling a number. (DNF)
  21. # Map06: scotty - Damn, that's just harsh. Chaingunners and opaque midtextures, people!
  22. # Map06: Zulk-RS - Surprisingly nonchalant in the face of fast-opening trap doors. A resignation of fate?
  23. # Map04: Jaws In Space - Rushed headlong into in a room full of zombies. Blammo!
  24. # Map04: TheMionicDonut - Demons love the taste of Donuts – who knew?
  25. # Map04: Eris Falling - Like getting clawed at through a sunroof. Tough luck, Eris!
  26. # Map03: dobu gabu maru - Tenderized by the walking dead.
  27. # Map02: purist - Good call, Eris, someone did die to that chaingunner trap D:

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given mapset, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome; it could change the way you play Doom!

***WARNING***: Show-stopping bugs ahead. Read the below post!

In November 2016 the DWIronman League dies to Perdition's Gate -complevel 2 (Doom (strict)). This classic (and kosher!) megawad is the first ironman selection to tap into the realm of the speedrunner proper. Keep your eye out for the patrons of special interest as we battle our way through a storied series of levels by master designers Tom Mustaine, Jimmy Sieben, Mackey McCandlish and co.. No doubt many of our resident cellar-dwellers will be keen to evolve past the second level of what is a none-too-difficult mapset - my sorry ass included. Could speed be the decider in this month's DWIronman League challenge?
Spoiler

• One attempt per megawad/mapset. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+ and GLBoom), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs.
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No auto-loaded wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You do not have to complete your run in a single sitting. Such runs are considered to be "hardcore" runs. For stream and video recording users, you need only load a savegame that has been shown to be set during the previous segment, and again displaying the same compatability options. For demo users, you may continue using the same recording using a save file linked in the thread alongside the demo, assuming the -complevel allows for this function (e.g. -cl 9). Otherwise, the run must be completed in a single sitting or in segments separated by forced pistol starts (mandatory death exits) and episodes.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point. This includes "scouting ahead" for map details "just to check on something."
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If you die for any reason, tough luck! Your little brother snuck into your room while you were paused and getting tea and walked your marine into an inescapable pit? Brilliant. You went to answer the doorbell but knocked over your mug of hot chocolate and a baron ripped your arm off? Walk it off, hot stuff! You're through.
  • If your operating system fails during the run with you having progressed beyond the most recent save point then it's a write-off, sorry!
  • In the event that the leaders are tied having died on the same map, the player to have arrived at the map of death in the fastest time will be deemed the winner.

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

FYI, there are a number of spots where you can fall into inescapable pits or get completely softlocked in Perdition's Gate. Here's the ones I remember that I believe to be unintentional:

Spoiler

Map 07 - Yellow door is single-use from the inside, if it closes on you, you are stuck.

Map 13 - A number of spots where you can fall off the map into the outside which is a damaging floor I believe.

Map 14 - The start and another secret is a small building in the middle of a large pool of water. If you jump into the outside using the edge of the teleporter, you get stuck.

Map 15 - Like map 13, a number of spots where you can fall off the map onto a damaging floor

Map 32 - There is a small gap surrounding the exit that you can fall into

Map 19 - There is a small pit between the exit staircase and exit teleporter that you can fall into and get softlocked completely (no damaging floor)

Map 20 - You can jump into the building on the right through the window and you will get stuck. You cannot exit that building unless you already have the yellow key.

Edit: Added the two other softlocks I mentioned below to this post in case anyone misses the second one.

These are all the ones I am aware of, I cannot promise that there are different ones I never encountered. :D

Holy smokes, something I've actually played before. Should make for an interesting attempt this month....

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1684483

Now there's a surprise. 2 and a half hours is a very, very slow trek for a WAD that raises the white flag before the second episode is out (have you seen the number of shell and bullet boxes lining the walls? They're like padding!), but a live marine is a good marine, so I'll cash out on this performance. I expect to see it slip out of the top 10, honestly. We'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: I was mostly working off memory, here, having last played the set in full about 2 years ago. Perhaps twice total. I checked out the maps that shock highlighted to make sure I knew where the danger areas were then dove straight into recording. Some prior knowedge, then... but nothing compared to the speedrunner nouce that will put this run to shame.

Also, the map31 cyber encounter was hilarious. The only time I sank below 20%, and how!

Here's my video, showing the bullshit for what it really is.

It is kinda funny though, I have to say :P

3:12:01 with 2 secret levels.

https://www.mediafire.com/?35lefsfizuww7y7

That was almost blind. I've seen some maps on 4shockblast's streams and played some maps at the beginning of the wad more than 6 years ago. There were some close calls and I almost softlocked myself on one of the maps, but still managed to survive.

Here I come out of the gate (no pun intended) with my submission:

Died on MAP10 to the pit cyberdemon. My corpse will likely be the first of many trophies that he claims.

EDIT: 100th post!

Time for a question...do I actually have to install the wad or can I pull one of the two big wads (PG-RAW.WAD or PG-RAW-X.WAD) from the file and just record my run on one of those without any earth shattering kabooms happening?

Thanks in advance!

No installation required. The only difference between the two wads is the inclusion of an F_END lump in PG-RAW-X, for vanilla. Load 'er up like any other gig!

Some other unintentional softlocks I remembered during Archi's stream:

Spoiler

Map 14 - The start and another secret is a small building in the middle of a large pool of water. If you jump into the outside using the teleporter, you get stuck.

Map 20 - You can jump into the building on the right through the window and you will get stuck. You cannot exit that building unless you already have the yellow key.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/q2hyy3c824a37dd/

I was liking this megawad up to this point...then I hit map 14 and somehow find a way to jump out the windows right at the start and couldn't find a way back in. Seriously, this is a stupid way to fail what was otherwise a pretty good run. Kinda salty about it really.

PSA for all mappers: Make sure permastucks are not present in your map. If they are, X will find you. I can't guarantee what will happen after that.

cannonball said:

Died on map10, possibly the worst secret ever, typical really as I had settled into a nice rhythm and then that arch vile placed in that tiny secret, yeah screw you 90s mapping :P
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1684517

This was played on Hurt Me Plenty. Would choosing the wrong difficulty mean that the person just has an invalid attempt for the month or is there a second chance to do it properly? :)

Damn frustrating softlocks that Ancalagon/Anima encountered, map 7 in particular is completely inexcusable. :\ Really do suggest reading my spoilers for anyone else planning on participating.

I will probably do my stream sometime this Saturday, no guarantees, though!

Damn, I hadn't noticed cannonball's skill stuff-up. I usually skip to the final map/moments of a run to save myself an eternity of demo watching, note the total running time and work out a fun obituary. It wouldn't make sense to offer a second chance when other unfortunate errors like DNFs and OS crashes are consistent on the contrary.

Parentheses to the rescue.

Decided to give it a try, because I figured I could at least get a few maps into this one, unlike most of them. Completely blind run other than the DNF warnings posted here. Verrrrrrrry boring to watch, I would think.

Died in the same place as DaIcemann76, by the looks: Map10 with the nukage cyber

Command line used was:
prboom-plus -file pg-raw-x.wad -record pgcap -complevel 2 -skill 4

4shockblast said:

This was played on Hurt Me Plenty. Would choosing the wrong difficulty mean that the person just has an invalid attempt for the month or is there a second chance to do it properly? :)

Damn frustrating softlocks that Ancalagon/Anima encountered, map 7 in particular is completely inexcusable. :\ Really do suggest reading my spoilers for anyone else planning on participating.

I will probably do my stream sometime this Saturday, no guarantees, though!

Oh nuts, in this case I didn't intentionally chose the wrong difficulty but screwed up the command line when starting and hence the game started on the default difficulty setting which on the version of pr-boom I have is HMP.
Sorry for the mess up and hence invalid attempt. I will have to check properly next time.

:( :( :( spazzed out and died to the twin cybers on map30 :( :( :(

2:57:29

this was a completely blind run so im a) quite pleased i made it that far, b) didnt get caught on any of the bug-traps that 4shock warned us about

click here to empathise with me :(

glboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad -file pg-raw.wad -skill 4 -complevel 2 -record pg-rehelekretep

Ouch, the nerves must have been jangling. A map30 death sits you in good stead, though, even if getting so close to the exit and falling short is more gut-wrenching than dying very early on. Try telling that to dobu and Eris, though :)

...I'd just like to point out that I'm still in the lead. On top of the mountain, baby. I doubt even Canada will be able to best my sensational performance. He'll choke, ideally in embarrassing circumstances, and the ledger will begin to correct itself in favour of the superior country.

Alright I used a stopwatch to time my demo. My time is 2:44:29. Should be accurate, I ended the stopwatch right when Map30 ended. Also, forgot to mention that I also completed the secret maps.