Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Movies/Videos/Songs that contain subtle Doom references

While doing some youtubing I came across this video about a certain brand of shotgun shells.

Now, nobody in the comments mentioned anything, but I swear the music they play throughout the video is D_RUNNIN.

What kinds of subtle nods to Doom have you encountered?

^ Lol a Doom reference in Family Guy of all places? That's pretty awesome.

A movie with Kurt Russel had a kid playing Doom. SNES DOOM if I'm not mistaken. It was a subtle foreshadowing. I can't remember the name of the movie. Those are your only hints.

I think the actual DooMovie had Doom references. One or two.

There are countless TV shows that have used the Imp sound, fireball sound and door sound.

geo said:

A movie with Kurt Russel had a kid playing Doom. SNES DOOM if I'm not mistaken. It was a subtle foreshadowing. I can't remember the name of the movie. Those are your only hints.

Breakdown. Released in 1997, it's a pretty good thriller about a guy whose wife is kidnapped by some truckers & his attempts to find her.

Friends. There's an episode where Chandler asks Joey and Ross if they want to play Doom on his new laptop.

Congo has what looks like a prerecorded demo near the beginning of the movie.

One episode of an Italian TV series Turbo, a crappy and forgotten Inspector Rex knockoff, revolves around a banned game spread on the Internet that subliminally brainwashes kids into murdering people, an ominous voice in their head commanding them to "complete the mission". In what I personally believe to be a subtle nod to id's masterpiece, the game is called Evil Duum II: Final Fight.

Would any of our Italian colleagues be able to track this gem down? The only footage that still seems to exist online is the Czech-dubbed supercut, sadly not even subtitled.

Spoiler: The perpetrator's IP address is 845.980.750.

Rammstein's "Wollt Ihr Das Bett In Flammen Sehen" has a sample of Doomguy's death sound.

MFG38 said:

Rammstein's "Wollt Ihr Das Bett In Flammen Sehen" has a sample of Doomguy's death sound.

and of the shotgun reload and blast sounds

RUSH said:

^ Lol a Doom reference in Family Guy of all places? That's pretty awesome.

Not to mention the entire thing is a naked gun reference.

Swine & Roses said:

Doom's door opening sound even has its own entry on TV Tropes: Doom Doors.
The sound can also be heard multiple times in the beginning of a Front Line Assembly song, Modus Operandi.

Hey Birds of Prey used the door sound. I remember now. I was forced to watch a season of that. It was so bad I came up with a new word for it. At first I came up with the word in my head then started laughing about it. When asked why I was laughing I said the word, "Terrawful."

If I remember correctly they had their own Westley Crusher deus ex machina 16 year old save the day.

Not subtle, but hey, it's referenced here, right?

And here I guess:

EDIT:

This song basically tells the main story for the first episode of Doom 1. Not only that, but the name of the song too.

God I can't remember the name of the episode of the life of me, but there's an entire modern Dr. Who episode that was basically an allegory for the games plot to an extent and was littered with references all over the fucking place to Doom.

StevieCybernetik said:

God I can't remember the name of the episode of the life of me, but there's an entire modern Dr. Who episode that was basically an allegory for the games plot to an extent and was littered with references all over the fucking place to Doom.

From the TV Tropes page I linked earlier:

Doctor Who uses this a couple of times:
"The Impossible Planet", likely an intentional reference, given that the plot, like that of Doom, involved a remote mining colony that discovered a powerful demonic monster.
"The Waters of Mars", in which a Mars base encounters a water-borne alien virus that possesses people.