Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MinerOfWorlds

What versions of enemies/guns do you prefer?

What versions of enemies\guns do you prefer? doom\doom 2 doom 64 doom 3 doom 2016

I prefer all enemies from doom 64 but the pinkies i like doom 3's pinkie more

sorry if this is the wrong place i don't know where to put this thread

I love everything in Doom, but doom64s chaingun with the higher fire rate and the perforated barrels is pretty tight. I also love the double-headed chainsaw.

The pinkies and pain elementals from Doom 64 are my favorite non OG Doom monster. Everything else is OG for me.

TraceOfSpades said:

The pinkies and pain elementals from Doom 64 are my favorite non OG Doom monster. Everything else is OG for me.

I think the mancubus from doom 64 looks more menacing then the other versions which i prefer.

TraceOfSpades said:

I think it looks too much like the Battle Lord from Duke Nukem 3D. I like the blobby ones.

It does at least it looks good. i like the blobby ones too but i prefer the doom 64 death animation more. i wonder if someone can use the death animation for the doom 2 mancubus.

i really hate doom's chaingun, its underpowered and player doesn't carry a lot of ammo for it either, rendering it pretty useless.

noshutdown said:

i really hate doom's chaingun, its underpowered and player doesn't carry a lot of ammo for it either, rendering it pretty useless.

you can hold 400 ammo for it, it's one of the most useful gun's in the game in my opinion

MinerOfWorlds said:

you can hold 400 ammo for it, it's one of the most useful gun's in the game in my opinion

400 bullets isn't a lot. Do you know how many bullets it takes to kill a Baron?

Take a guess which mancubus I prefer.

Also, I have no idea why you can carry 600 cells, which have a higher damage potential, and only 400 bullets.

VGA said:

400 bullets isn't a lot. Do you know how many bullets it takes to kill a Baron?

100, and 400 bullets equals just 1 cybie.
chaingun in doom3 is much more capable, at least it does 200 damage per second compared to doom's 87.5, although i think 250-300 dps is a more reasonable setting.

Job said:

Take a guess which mancubus I prefer.

Also, I have no idea why you can carry 600 cells, which have a higher damage potential, and only 400 bullets.

full bullets stores only 4000 damage(just 1 cybie), while full cells stores 47250 damage.

Each game has it's own art and balance style that in which they match themselves quite well. But I guess If I had to pick.

Weapons I'll just go for looks on this as all of D'16s gun are superior performing

Spoiler

Chainsaw -D64
Pistol -D'16
Shotgun -D1/2
Super Shotgun -D'16
Chaingun -D64
Rocket Launcher -D1/'16
Plasma Rifle -D'16
BFG -D'16

Monsters (Looks,Function)
Spoiler

Trooper - (D2)
Sergeant - (D2)
Imp - (D3,D'16)
Commando- (D3)
lost Soul - (D2)
Pinky - (D16)
Caco - (D2 & D'16) The New Cacos pig screams and yowls are hilarious, Love it but the classic is hard to compete with.
Pain Elemental - (D2)
arachnotron - (D64)
Hell Knight - (D'16)
Revenant - (D'16,D2)
Mancubus - (D2)
Baron of Hell - (D2,D'16)
ArchVile - (D2)
Spider MasterMind - (D16)
CyberDemon - (D2)

noshutdown said:

For someone spouting off a lot of stats for a gun you seem to be missing some of it's strongest features. It's not a dps weapon. It's great for Stun Lock, sniping, and pushing.

I haven't really played Doom3 or 2016 so I'm just going into the aesthetics on this

Weapons:

Spoiler

Pistol: Doom 2016
Fist: Classic
Chainsaw: Doom64
Shotgun: Classic
SSG: Doom2016
Chaingun: Doom3
Rocket Launcher: Doom64
Plasma Rifle: Classic
BFG: Classic

Monsters:
Spoiler

Zombieman: Doom64
Shotgunner: Classic
Chaingunner: Classic
Imp: Doom 2016
Demon: Classic
Hell Knight/Baron: Doom3
Lost Soul (Forgotten One): Doom3 (Resurrection of Evil)
Cacodemon: Classic
Revenant: Classic
Pain Elemental: Doom64
ArchVile: Classic
Cyberdemon: Classic
Spider Demon: Classic
Arachnotron: Doom64
Mancubus: Classic

Weapons:

Spoiler

Pistol: Doom 2016
Fist: Doom 3
Chainsaw: Doom 2016
Shotgun: Doom 2016
SSG: Doom 2
Chaingun: Valiant :)
Rocket Launcher: Doom
Plasma Rifle: Doom 2016
BFG: Doom 2016

Monsters:
Spoiler

Zombieman: Doom
Shotgunner: Doom
Chaingunner: Doom 2
Imp: Doom 2016
Demon: Doom
Baron: Doom 2016
Lost Soul: Doom
Cacodemon: Doom 2016
Revenant: Doom 2
Pain Elemental: Doom 2
ArchVile: Doom 2
Cyberdemon: Doom
Spider Demon: Doom 2016
Arachnotron: Doom 2
Mancubus: Doom 2016

Even though the nostalgia is strong around here I can't stand the look of Doom 64, all monsters looks like play-doh in blurred rooms.

RightField said:

Even though the nostalgia is strong around here I can't stand the look of Doom 64, all monsters looks like play-doh in blurred rooms.

I think that's the linear filtering, you can change that in doom 64ex and it look's better i play with linear because i don't think it's that bad.

Well I'm talking about the console version. It's more of the stylistic art direction that doesn't work for me more than anything really.

As far as visuals go, I've been using Doom 64's skins for the shotguns, Chaingun and Rocket Launcher in Smooth Doom. Mechanics-wise I prefer everything in Doom 2.

noshutdown said:

I overuse that thing, great for crowd control, but yeah I run out of ammo like a motherfucker using it lol.

Chainsaw: DOOM4
Pistol: None, pistol sucks in all DOOM games
Shotgun: DOOM4, the original is classic though
Double Barrel Shotgun: DOOM II
Chaingun: DOOM3
Rocket Launcher: DOOM4
Plasma Rifle: classic one, mainly because the DOOM4 version is only good as a stun weapon
BFG: classic one, but the DOOM4 version is not far behind

Zombies: mixed bag. I like the regular zombies in DOOM3, hitscanners from classics and shield possessed from DOOM4
Imp: DOOM4
Pinky: >>>DOOM3<<, a special mention of the DOOM4 version which is the biggest pile of cartoonish shit I've ever seen
Lost Soul: DOOM3
Hellknight: DOOM4
Baron: classic, with the D3 HK right behind it (because it functions as a Baron anyway)
Cacodemon: DOOM4 but the classic is great too
Pain Elemental: DOOM64
Revenant: classic because in terms of gameplay it's more interesting than the DOOM4 one (jetpack is cool though)
Mancubus: classic because the DOOM4 version looks like it comes from X-COM
Archvile: DOOM II
Arachnotron: probably DOOM64 but my favourite is that DOOM3 concept art that never made it into the game
Mastermind: none but if I have to choose, classic. Because the DOOM4 version looks way too silly and way too cartoonish
Cyberdemon: classic with the DOOM3 version close by

Me?
Weapons

Spoiler

Fist: Doom 3 (I like how you use both hands)
Pistol: Doom 64 (better in looks and sounds than Classic Doom IMO)
Chainsaw: Doom 64 (but i like how Doom 2016's function a lot)
Shotgun: Doom 1/2 (like the pumping animation)
Super Shotgun: Doom 2, baby (cause who doesn't love it when it's being reloaded like that?)
Chaingun: Doom 64 (the sweet look with the barrels is hands down, the coolest design in Doom)
Rocket Launcher: Doom 2016 (its sweet, I guess)
Plasma Rifle: Doom 2016 (for being based on Doom 3's design)
BFG: Doom 2016 (that sound :O)

Monsters
Spoiler

Zombieman: Doom 3 (the Z-Sec)
Sergeant: Doom 3 (Z-Sec again)
Commando: Doom 3 (that dude with the chaingun)
Imp: Doom 2016 (Fast. Agile. Colorful)
Pinky: Doom 64 (it's Doom's Pinky reborn more uhhh... Scarier)
Cacodemon: Doom 1/2 (Doom 3's sucked ass)
Lost Soul: Doom 64 (for being more hellish and acting like the classic lost soul)
Pain Elemental: Doom 64 (we all know this, don't we?)
Baron of Hell: Doom 2016 (big and menacing)
Hell Knight: Doom 2016 (for being based on Doom 3's design)
Arachnotron: Doom 64, baby (way more hellish and creepier than Doom 2)
Revenant: Doom1/2 (the original is the spookiest)
Mancubus: Doom 64 (I like the design)
Spider Mastermind: Doom 2016 (it's cooler than Doom's and looks pretty nasty)
Cyberdemon: ALL
Arch-Vile: Doom 2 by default (because after D2, Archies just weren't the same anymore)

Guns:
Chaingun: DOOM '16. Turret mode is crazy.
Gauss Canon: only exists in DOOM '16, but it fills that gap in the arsenal so perfectly I just can help but mention it. Also, Siege Mode <3 <3 <3
Plasmagun: definitely classic. Doom 64 version comes close, but the classic one wins. I dislike the new version from Doom 3/'16 - they don't look sci-fiey enough and I like classic projectiles and sounds better.
BFG-9000: love both classic and '16 versions. If I absolutely have to pick one that would be the classic version. The mechanics are weird, but useful.
The rest: classic.

Monsters:
Imp: classic only. I dislike skinny imps from the new games.
Baron of Hell: DOOM '16. Both badass and true to original.
Hell Knight: Doom 3/'16, if only for not being a palette-swapped Baron.
Spider Mastermind: I like DOOM '16 reimaging of it and how it actually feels like a final boss, but I still prefer the classic one.
The rest: classic.

And I can't stand monster sprites from Doom 64. They all look like clay models made by a child.

Rathori said:

I can't stand monster sprites from Doom 64. They all look like clay models made by a child.

What? as far as i can tell they are the same quality as the classic but the bigger palette and higher res sprites allows to show the light from the room (where they took the picture's) on the models.

Well the originals looks like old school 80's/90's film badassery like Total Recall., I don't get nostalgia like that out of the Doom 64 sprites whatsoever.

Guns:

Spoiler

Chaingun (DOOM'16)
Super Shotgun (PSX Final DOOM)
Plasma Rifle (DOOM 1/2, PSX Sounds)

Monsters:
Spoiler

Imp (DOOM 1/2)
Revenant (DOOM 3)
Pinky Demon (DOOM '16, because of the slight details and the fact that it made spectres work in true 3D)

Enemies from Doom 64 may look just meh, unless texture filtering is completely disabled (like in EX or GZDoom with BD64 played). Game overall gets pixel-artish look then. I love this game more just because of this.

I don't have so much preferences what enemies/weapons look better. I like this uniqueness in each iterations of Doom, as each of weapons and mosters fit well anyway.