Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
noshutdown

plutonia map11 100% kills possible with tas?

we know we have one shot of bfg, which delivers over 3000 damage at best, while 4 archviles have "only" 2800 health. although the random running position of archviles makes it impossible to achieve ideal damage, one can use savegame in a tas run to try it for many times, to master a most efficient pattern. i guess the most ideal situation is to kill two archviles with the bfg shot while badly injuring the other two, and then finish them off with 2 or 3 ssg shots before getting hit.
its been 20 years and i've never seen a tas demo doing this... has anyone tried, discussed and decide it to be impossible?

TAS demos only became more popular and widespread in the recent few years, most likely because prboom-plus and xdre make it easier to produce them. A goal as niche as this probably wasn't on many people's radar at all. And it may as well be possible to build, but the rules for max explicitly state an exception for pl11, so a "true" max would serve mostly as a curio item.

odysseyofnoises did this in his MAP01-30 Max, but IL TAS shouldn't be impossible, obviously (you can stun (I mean pain state) arch-viles with SSG easily).

But it was a done in a movie...

Oh, I see. You want it in a single map, pistol start attempt, because you have only 40 cells in this case. My guess is: it is possible of course, 1 BFG shot is (or, safer to say, may be) not enough but it is not a requirement. Doing what you described looks like a non-challenge to me, honestly,

You can even stand on the edge of the teleporter pad to not take any damage from the damaging floor. You can also jump off the pad and hide behind it when a hit from an archvile is inevitable to only take 20% damage from the archvile hit. It would be easy to do this with TAS but seems like no one ever bothered, mainly for the reasons dew highlighted.

I would like to see it. I think it's satisfying to see "impossible" things done with TAS, no matter how trivial are they to build/record. Like Andy had a Darkening 2 demo for the penultimate (I think) map where he was fighting a cyberdemon up close. Sure, nothing terribly difficult for TAS, but so enjoyable.

4shockblast said:

Possible without TAS, just need a good deal of luck to kill three AVs in one BFG shot and finish the last with SSG.

doing it alone without tas may be possible if you use a savegame, however i doubt anyone would record a demo from start. its so luck-dependent that it would surely take many tries to succeed once, each time preceded by several minutes of archvile shooting.

noshutdown said:

doing it alone without tas may be possible if you use a savegame, however i doubt anyone would record a demo from start. its so luck-dependent that it would surely take many tries to succeed once, each time preceded by several minutes of archvile shooting.

The fact that it is possible to do from a save is enough to make it easy enough to do a demo from the start, since it's only that one spot and everything else should be possible to do consistently with a bit of practice. There's a berserk right before the end, meaning health should never be an issue there. It would be luck-based and would take many attempts, but people have done harder things. It's true that it's not likely anyone will do it, but that is primarily because no one really cares enough since it's not required. :D

38_ViTa_38 said:

You need pretty good PRNG (that's why I built the last part of the demo)...

thanks for demostrating that!