Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Don't you just love it when...

You are installing a new game and the installer shows video files that spoil the story such as SceneWhereThisCharacterDies.bik?

Gotta love those moments.

GoatLord said:

Uh...so who actually looks at these files while they're installing?

I sometimes do, out of curiosity to see the %.

Well, that's... unusual. Unless I've been living under a rock, I've never had something like that happen.

Mithran Denizen said:

I don't remember which movie it was, but I had an old DVD that spoils the major plot twist by listing the chapter titles on the main page of the DVD menu.

I'm remembering the one DVD I ever saw that went out of its way to NOT spoil major plot twists: GalaxyQuest. There's a mysterious "OMEGA 13" button on the main menu, that won't work if you haven't played the movie first.

This makes me think of Romeo and Juliet... Damn that Shakespeare for spoiler-ing the ending of his own play!

What was that old saying; it's not about what happens, but how it happens.

Some old games have hilariously elaborate installers that probably slow down the process. C&C comes to mind. Theirs tended to only hint at things like the various units you could build, though.

Fonze said:

This makes me think of Romeo and Juliet... Damn that Shakespeare for spoiler-ing the ending of his own play!

What was that old saying; it's not about what happens, but how it happens.

The difference is Romeo and Juliet is intentionally ruined as it helps the specific story and was created with this in mind; you are supposed to know they are doomed lovers from the start to make it all the more bittersweet.

If you play a game and know a spoiler but the developers didn't intend on you knowing beforehand, it can sour the experience. Doesn't mean it will be a bad one, just might not have been as good.

Spec Ops: The Line is a really good example of this, there are things in that game that if they are ruined, you can still appreciate the game, but it is a much bigger experience if you go in blind.

Tbh, most games I have played always had those story related media files labeled like YYYXX (YYY is a word/initialism/gibberish and XX is a number) for example strwf01, strwf08, etc. those were not real examples.