Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lunoir

Adding animated Flats

This might be a very simlpe question, and I will be thankful if you point me towards a simple tutorial or if there is a very obvious solution.
But:

I would like to add these animated flats to my wad.
I would like to do this
a) boom compatible
b) without replacing any existing textures

How exactly do I do this (if its is possíble at all)?

lunoir said:

This might be a very simlpe question, and I will be thankful if you point me towards a simple tutorial or if there is a very obvious solution.
But:

I would like to add these animated flats to my wad.
I would like to do this
a) boom compatible
b) without replacing any existing textures

How exactly do I do this (if its is possíble at all)?

It's easy and simple. Boom comes with the ANIMATED lump feature. You can use SLADE 3 to generate and edit such a lump; it supports SWANTBLS syntax so you can convert an ANIMATED lump into a SWANTBLS lump for easy editing and then convert the SWANTBLS back into ANIMATED.

So I create the lump with the syntax according to the wiki entry
and then convert it in Slade?

^ That's one possibility. An easier one is to open your wad in SLADE3, choose "Archive -> New -> ANIMATED", which automatically generates a lump named "ANIMATED" containing a table of animated flats and textures, then click this lump to view the table, and use the icons above the table to add your own entries to the table. Just make sure not to change/overwrite/delete the existing entries in there, if you want to keep existing animated flats and textures as they are.

Thank you.
It worked perfectly :)

// well, almost
Upon trying the wad with Prboom-Plus
I get

P_InitPicAnims: bad cycle from JSL_01_4 to JSL_01_1
(JSL_01_X being the textures names)

Maybe you should remove the underscores in the name.
Chances are, you put the flats in the WAD/ANIMATED lump in the wrong order.

BTW, you can also use SWATERX flats (where X is a number), as it is unused in Doom.

lunoir said:

Upon trying the wad with Prboom-Plus
I get

P_InitPicAnims: bad cycle from JSL_01_4 to JSL_01_1
(JSL_01_X being the textures names)

Make sure that you are putting the "first" and "last" frames into the correct columns in the table. There is a version of SLADE3 in which the columns are improperly titled. Look at the other entries in the table for reference of how it should be right, that is, which column to put the actual first frame into. In all stock textures, the actual first frame is the one with the lesser number. Custom textures do not need to follow this numbering convention, the actual first frame just needs to be in the same column as the lesser-numbered frame of the stock textures.

Voros said:

No. Underscores are valid characters in wad lump names.

Voros said:

Chances are, you put the flats in the WAD/ANIMATED lump in the wrong order.

BTW, you can also use SWATERX flats (where X is a number), as it is unused in Doom.

This. The order matters in WAD files. At a minimum, "1" must be before "4" in the wad, which causes "1", then verything before "4", and then "4" to animate, in that order. But, of course, numbering them in visual order, and then placing them in that order in the wad is the easiest path to success.

^ It should be noted that, where kb1 says "1", he really means "the actual first frame", and where he says "4", he really means "the actual last frame". Names of these frames do not need to contain any numbers or follow any rules whatsoever. The total number of frames is also arbitrary, determined only by how many frames are placed between the actual first and actual last frame inside the wad.

Example: You want to have an animation with 3 frames, and you want the frames to be named "XYZ", "12345", and "A_A", respectively. Put them into the wad so that they follow immediately after each other, in the order "XYZ" -> "12345" -> "A_A". Put the name "XYZ" into the "actual first frame" column in the ANIMATED table, and put "A_A" into the "actual last frame" column. The animation will work.

scifista42 said:

No. Underscores are valid characters in wad lump names.

Ok, it's just I've not seen underscores used a lot for flats.

scifista42 said:

^ It should be noted that, where kb1 says "1", he really means "the actual first frame", and where he says "4", he really means "the actual last frame". Names of these frames do not need to contain any numbers or follow any rules whatsoever. The total number of frames is also arbitrary, determined only by how many frames are placed between the actual first and actual last frame inside the wad.

Example: You want to have an animation with 3 frames, and you want the frames to be named "XYZ", "12345", and "A_A", respectively. Put them into the wad so that they follow immediately after each other, in the order "XYZ" -> "12345" -> "A_A". Put the name "XYZ" into the "actual first frame" column in the ANIMATED table, and put "A_A" into the "actual last frame" column. The animation will work.

Stated much more clearly than I did - thanks scifista42.