Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MinerOfWorlds

What's the difference between doom builder 2 and gzdoom builder?

I see a lot of people use doom builder 2 but what's the difference between doom builder 2 and gzdoom builder i'm not trying to say one is better but what's different between them?

Fundamentally they are the same thing. Its just that GZDoombuilder is actively maintained and includes features that aid modern mapping formats and general mapping alike. There's not much point in using Doombuilder 2 because GZDoombuilder isn't missing anything from it, and some of the few problems and nuances in Doombuilder 2 are corrected in GZDoombuilder.

The name has been misleading for some time now like its a map editor that's only good for GZDoom.

Then what did you make this thread for?

The main difference in the editors is the interface.
GZDB gives you many more ways to progress in constructing maps with build-in features and plugins.

Spoiler

^ Other than that GZDB takes twice more time to boot up than DB2 (on my computer), probably no good reason to favor DB2, indeed.

scifista42 said:

^ Other than that GZDB takes twice more time to boot up than DB2 (on my computer), probably no good reason to favor DB2, indeed.

It checks for updates on startup you can turn that off and it boots up faster.

scifista42 said:

Did you mix those up or is GZDB twice slower? I'm confused now.

Nevander said:

Did you mix those up or is GZDB twice slower? I'm confused now.

I think he means it takes twice the time to boot up but when it's done booting up it the same speed.

[Outdated information.]

I think I'd prefer DB2 over the newest builds of GZDB purely for aesthetic reasons. There are so many recent changes that are simply unpleasant to deal with. I use an early 2015 version of GZDB, however, and I also have it backed up.

rdwpa said:

I think I'd prefer DB2 over the newest builds of GZDB purely for aesthetic reasons.

GZDB allows you to customize both interface layout and visual style, at least to some degree.

[Outdated information.]

The primary difference between newer builds of GZDB and the older version I use is that drawing mode has added a few cosmetic features. These are a blurry rectangle for contrast on certain backgrounds (useless and ugly, though, on a black background), and the very intrusive guidelines that must be accepted if you want to view line angles while drawing. Additionally, the length of the little lines that bisect linedefs halfway is now proportional to the zoom distance, so that detailed maps no longer are noticeably fuzzy when zoomed out. The lines themselves look thinner at that distance too. The display of sector tags and effects is more intrusive too, substantially wordier.

These changes can't be toggled back to the older versions, to my knowledge.

Latest GZDB: Blurry rectangles were either removed or can be toggled off. Guidelines can be toggled off. Linedef rendering can be customized in "Preferences -> Appearance". Only the tags are something I don't know how to get rid of.

Cool, that's great news. I checked about two months ago, but I guess I should have checked the Sourceforge pages again before posting, considering how consistently it is updated.

Oh wait, I checked again and it still seems to be true that display of linedef angles is tied to display of guidelines (I've confused angles with length). I'm also not sure I understood your problem with the little lines.

GZDB is basically, how do I put it...?

GZDB makes a lot of features more simple, as well as adding more ways to do stuff. It also gets regular updates like bug fixes and such.