Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Do you mainly play Doom because your pc can't handle recent games?

...at least, recent games that you actually have interest in playing? Too bad the board can't do a poll. Just interested in how many people have hardware capable for 2016, a lot of our favorite modders seem to be from countries where newer parts are taxed to all shit or otherwise out of reach for joe blow.

I really like the fact that Doom nowadays is a very "egalitarian" game, in the sense that almost anyone with a computing device can play it because it will run on basically anything. But the flip side of that coin is that it attracts a lot of horrid children with ancient hand-me-down computers and nothing better to do but be horrid.

Got a good enough computer to play both modern and old games. Doom is popular to people like myself because:
- It's familiar
- It's quick to get into action
- Constant new content
- Great fundamentals for a FPS
- Can play on nostalgia strings

Hardware limitations aren't a factor to me playing Doom.

Part of the reason I'd say. It's just been a part of my life for some time now though. I can't stop playing it. It's just that great.

I mainly play Doom because I like to and there aren't many recent games I'd rather be playing. But yeah, my 6 year old laptop doesn't like modern AAA games.

To be honest i play Classic doom because i cannot find any better game to play, Although my PC Can even run the latest Doom alright but still, The chat in that game is horrible, I like to speak my mind while playing and the lack of that feature just keeps me away from it.

It's funny because I bought my friends 2000 dollar gaming PC for 300 dollars and I'm still playing Doom so no lol. I play Doom because I enjoy running through the IWADs and other peoples maps for hours, I also love building maps too. It's quite a passion I've developed over time. Also recent games just don't do it for me. I don't understand the hype for MOBAS and other MMO games. I guess I'm just getting old.

No. I can't play the newest games like Doom(2016) or COD:Infinite Warfare, but I can play the older ones. The reason I play Doom is because constant new content, community and because it's just a great FPS. I just like fast, free movement and non-linear levels. I played Quake 4, COD 1,COD 2, didn't like them because of reloading and slow movement, while I loved Tomb Raider Anniversarry because of it's parkour gameplay, and levels with interesting puzzles. I just find older games better and more unique. Compare Quake 1 to Doom 3: they both have some horror atmosphere , but Quake 1 succeds being a fast-paced FPS while Doom 3 does not.

Nope, I play Doom because it's what I find fun. I'd rather play all the IWADs over again the play crysis 2 again (not a bad game, just very little replay value).

Is it true that my computer can't handle recent games? Yes.
Is it true that this is the reason why I mainly play Doom? No.

Well, I was stuck with a rather weak (even for its time!) laptop between 2007 and 2015, so I was kinda forced to play 80s and 90s games. But then, a year ago, I bought a new (but still weak) laptop, it does run 2007-08 games more-or-less playably, but I'm so used to 90-s games that there's no going back.
p.s. but Doom attracts me not only with the gameplay, but with the possibility to make your own crappy maps and post them on the internets.

Yes, my pc can't handle recent games, but it can run some older modern games like Doom 3 and games that require a mid-end PC, as well some PSP games via emulation.
Although that's not the main reason why i play Doom, i play Doom because it's easy to pick up and play, provides great replay value thanks to mods, free levels and expansions aka megawads by the community, it's challenging and doesn't have the bs that newer games have, such as horrible hit detection, short campaigns, having to pay to unlock things, cheap and unfair enemies, i could say more, but that's it.

I bought a much lower end PC in 2010 because I knew id only be using it to play Doom and make maps with, so kinda yes.

I bought a PS4 to play the new doom and I was great but I have less than 1% interest in almost ever other PS4 game ive ever seen. I think playing so much Doom may have contributed to that, but what the general public want in games (more or less some kinda social outlet or timesink) is far different than what I want in a game.

I find it extremely difficult to find a truly engaging game. In my eyes most games are made of like 90% filler, and only 10% of good parts that aren't about mindlessly repeating what you've already learned a long time ago and actually require some effort and critical thinking to beat, or offer something truly new that doesn't look like a desperate attempt to prolong the game. Most wads don't seem to suffer from this as much, so that's why I stuck with Doom for a long time. But now it doesn't really excite me so I have to look for new things. Tetris was very good but kind of got old already. ATM I'm mostly playing Lines, which seems fantastic so far.

My PC is more than capable of playing the most recent games... it's just that I don't want to play them. :P

Memfis said:

Tetris was very good but kind of got old already.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be playing it every once in a while.

Memfis said:

Tetris was very good but kind of got old already. ATM I'm mostly playing Lines, which seems fantastic so far.

Thanks for sharing, this game is bad ass.

My graphics card is 4 years old, so no, I cannot play most games from today. They don't interest me. After the Quake 3 engine I felt that things started to go downhill. And today the gaming market is infested with so much toxic shit I haven't even bothered looking at recent games.

My main/"new" computer is pretty old-ish now--I don't recall exactly when I put it together but the BIOS data suggests 2009, and I didn't design it at the time to be a gaming rig (I was primarily a Linux user back then so I was aiming more for FLOSS driver compatibility). It's had just one hardware update since then, a graphics card so that I could play Shadow Warrior '13 (which I mistakenly accepted a gift code for thinking I was getting the '97 version, and the built-in graphics adapter didn't cut it). So while I cannot play any cutting edge stuff, I would think it'll comfortably run anything up to about the 2010 mark and maybe a bit beyond.

The majority of games I play (not just Doom) fall in the 90s era though. Call it nostalgia or whatever but I would say there was a particular zeitgeist in gaming back then that's different now, and most of what seems to be popular nowadays doesn't look to me like stuff I'd consider it worth investing in new hardware for, especially when most of the more recent stuff that would interest me tends towards indie stuff that can probably run on a lower spec anyway.

I sank $700 into my old rig to play the new Doom & Wolfenstein TNO. I'll play Planetside 2 every couple of months, but I mostly use my new setup for music, playing old emulated games and fudging around on Zandronum.

My PC can barely handle modern Doom mods, so what's that tell you? But in all seriousness, Doom is a very pick-up-and-play game, and not that those don't exist anymore, but there's far too many examples of modern games that bog you down with tutorials and options and complex interactions and story. This is completely antithetical to the DOS games I played growing up, where you could jump right in and figure things out intuitively, even without reading the manual. So I tend to mostly play older games that work this way because I really don't enjoy investing hour after hour just to get going in a game. I want to jump in, play a little while, jump out and get back to work or whatever I'm up to.

Well, if your computer can't handle Doom 3 (I have a hand-me-down laptop that can run Doom 3 on higher settings smoothly, it only lagged when I was recording), then it's beyond scrapyard value or you're using a Raspberry Pi or something.

My current PC can handle just about any game there is right now, the only problem however is that I have developed gamers depression which is making it hard for me to want game that much anymore and hardly any new games have piqued my interest.

MetroidJunkie said:

Well, if your computer can't handle Doom 3 (I have a hand-me-down laptop that can run Doom 3 on higher settings smoothly, it only lagged when I was recording), then it's beyond scrapyard value or you're using a Raspberry Pi or something.

I haven't dared thought about running Doom 3 on it, but it might be able to handle it.

My point is Doom 3 is a very easy game to run because of how old it is and most computers that are even semi-modern should be able to handle it just fine. I'm pretty sure the new GZDoom has stricter requirements in the GPU department than Doom 3 does at this point since it requires OpenGL 3. I don't doubt you, either, because my Android tablet can run Doom 3 and it's not even a particularly great one either, it has a Mali-400 MP2.

My PC is just good enough to play Overwatch which is basically all I play these days. It's rare I go to any other game, including Doom.

A nice thing about Doom is that it does run on just about anything from a new age monster gaming PC to a rock. I've loved this game since release and it's mostly a perk that I can play it on any weird machine I decide to build. I have a thing for old 90's PC hardware, so from time to time I'll throw together an old school system out of spare crap parts I have in storage and load up the old DOS based games. Man I love those old games :)