Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Do you mainly play Doom because your pc can't handle recent games?

Yes, that is one of the reasons I play mainly Doom. But I also don't have much interest in most modern games to begin with. Doom is also my favorite game, the only one I know how to mod extensively, and the community is decent and pumps out a bunch of great mods at a steady pace.

My PC could easily run most modern AAA releases but I spend exponentially more time on classic Doom than anything else. The fact that it can run on most devices, multiplayer even, is an excellent bonus but definitely isn't the main reason in any way.

I play Doom because my father got me into it in the first place and the fact that it has an endless stream of mods ranging from great to questionable, how easily moddable the game is and the fact that Doom generally is fun.

It's the other way around: my PC can't handle recent games because I mainly play Doom.

(Or more accurately: there's no need to update my PC because the games I play, even recent ones, already have their requirements satisfied by my current system...)

My Pc, can handle recent games, I just play Doom when I'm in the mood to blow off some steam or play a fast pace FPS, though Serious Sam is being used as a substitute for the moment being.

I play Doom on my new-ish computer still because most modern games play better on the consoles they were designed for. There's also nostalgia, but mostly because it is still fun.

This; especially the last part, which can be extended to include quite a few "adults".

Linguica said:

I really like the fact that Doom nowadays is a very "egalitarian" game, in the sense that almost anyone with a computing device can play it because it will run on basically anything. But the flip side of that coin is that it attracts a lot of horrid children with ancient hand-me-down computers and nothing better to do but be horrid.

While my current computer can handle pretty much any new game on maximum settings, I keep playing DooM because it is one of the best games of all time, period. Especially when all the PWAD gems are taken into consideration.

Because it's fun-fun-fun <3 It's simple, yet fascinating at the same time how the game deep in its code works (like the monsters behavior and its flaws, operations within game tic etc).
Moreover, it's easy and fun to mod - nowadays we have very versatile programs to edit wad lumps and create maps. And practicelly can be played almost on every PC.

By the way

Memfis said:

Tetris was very good but kind of got old already.

Heheh, try Tetris the GrandMaster clones like Texmaster or Heboris.

EDIT: Ah yes, I forgot to mention that shotguns in Doom are the only shotguns in video games that give me most satisfaction to use them. Shotgun acts like a real shotgun, it's really good in mid-range, occasionaly for sniping and conserving ammo. While SSG is the best shotgun fitting the short-range shotgun trope - it punches hard, has almost the damage as Rocket Launcher and has very cool shot and reloading sounds. Combined with running so fast like Sonic it makes you the close-quarters-combat killing machine. Just delicious.

My computer barely handles heavily detailed doom maps (Nova 2 MAP29 for example or any gameplay mod like smooth doom), what did you expect?

Doom has been my favorite game since childhood. I like to play modern games as well, but nothing tops Doom for me. It's just timeless. Absolutely amazing how well it resists aging, still fun as ever.

No. I got myself a new computer to play Doom 2016 and other recent games. But I still regularely play old Doom for all the great custom stuff that's getting released every month.

No. Doom has been a part of my lifeblood since I was about 5. And being 28 now, I've spent nearly half my life registered on this forum.

I'd be surprised if over 10% of us play DOOM for this reason.

Doom, at its best, makes me embarrassed for other videogames.

Spending money on videogame hardware is unthinkable for me. There's always something more worthwhile. Especially considering that increased hardware is required specifically for those aspects of modern games that make them progressively more and more inferior to Doom.

Guess it couldn´t even handle Doom, but all "modern" FPS I ever tried seemed to have around 1-2 SpF (second per frame = 0.5 Framespersecond). So thats one of the reasons I have to stick to Browsergames and alike which even lag like hell sometimes... :/

Equipment is a problem yes, but problems can be a chance as well..

Mainly because I just like the unique way that DOOM plays. I also like seeing what new things people still do with DOOM wads. The fact that my crappy PC can run them is just a nice bonus.

No, but I kept my Pentium 166 Mhz until late into the Pentium 4 generation, and I got heavily into DOOM (and interactive fiction) during that time because I couldn't run anything else.

I play Doom because it's good. I've yet to see a worthy successor or clone. Admittedly, my hardware won't run the latest games, but if the 15 years of games after Doom that I can run fine are any indication, there's no reason to believe there should be a good clone among the more recent works.

There's something elemental in Doom's low tech engine, great mechanics, maneuverability and near lack of loading times that makes it irreplaceable for me, given how deep the well of talent is in the community. You can feel everything in doom; newer 3D games can feel all wiggly and distant.

My computer is just a low-end laptop, nothing special except the video and sound drivers don't work properly in any OS that I'd care to run. So I stick with simple games like roguelikes and text adventures, that sort of thing. Chocolate Doom runs mostly ok without music, but display is 16:9, so meh.

Memfis said:

ATM I'm mostly playing http://www.webhackers.ru/lines/]Lines, which seems fantastic so far.

If that's the game I'm thinking of, it's based on 1992 DOS game Color Lines. There's a bunch of remakes, even one that runs in terminal:
http://manticore.2y.net/prj/clines-a.html

I used to play Doom and various other old FPS games because yes, my computer back then was shit. Now I have a sturdy gaming rig, and perhaps naturally, I don't play a lot of older games anymore. Don't know why. Maybe it's because I wasn't able to play them for so long.

I actually had to upgrade last year because my computer couldn't run what was at-the-time the latest GZDoom version sooo

near lack of loading times

This is an important point for me. Sometimes you want to get right in the action. From the decision to play video games to being inside the game moving around and shooting stuff, it's only a few seconds.

To be fair, some modern games have made great strides to reduce loading times and the general hassle of getting to the "play" part. Been trying Overwatch this weekend and I'm impressed by how painless the whole loop is. Once you're in, they make sure everything is taken care for you to stay and play game after game with minimal involvement.

But then, it still isn't Doom. Drag and drop wad on source port, play right away; coupled with gameplay accessible enough there's no preparation involved. Can't top that.

I like it because there is a practically infinite number of levels to try. I even like looking at the bad ones to enjoy how bad they are LoL! Modern games tend to be like movies with interaction, very linear and once played through you are not be inclined to play through again.

I also like making Doom levels which is possible for a lone amateur. The modern games, even to make a level I guess take the sort of team that would be needed to make a blockbuster movie.

I pretty much only play Doom and Overwatch these days. So no, my hardware can handle the latest games, but I play Doom because I love Doom. There's simply no other game that delivers the same kind of gameplay Doom does. And with all the awesome stuff the community is making, it just doesn't get old.

I think Doom is the game I play the most because it was big part of my childhood and turned me in a longlive gamer. But I play other recent games too like Dead by Daylight, H1Z1 or the new Doom ^^ Also i look forward to Kingdome Come: Deliverance :D If anyone knows it

The reason I play Doom has nothing to do with my PC - which can handle pretty much everything up to about 3 years ago on max settings. (In fact the first game this one even had trouble with was, ironically enough, Doom 2016)

It's mainly because it's always been there - and as others have said, there's constantly new content available, and it's fun to mod.

Only Doom has Doom's speed. I can't play many modern games because of hardware limitations, but if my PC were better I don't know if I'd play anything, "recent." Nothing really feels like Doom.

The games that I enjoy playing are Diablo II, AoE, Sim City, Civilization and other 90's games. I'm always impressed by the improvements in graphics and AI, but most games are too involved for me.

I used to play Doom because my computer could not handle newer games, then after I upgraded my computer I found myself coming back to Doom again and again. I guess it will never die to me. Rip and tear, baby!