Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Odd nobody has created a thread about this yet. What do you think about it? It was released a few days ago and so far I think it's a blast. I love it that they added the enemies originally intended to be in the game like the mastermind and revenant.

For the most part, I like the new visual effects and sound design, but I feel the gameplay is still very rough around the edges. Ever since patch 1.0C, the difficulty has been ridiculous, with Nightmare Imps absolutely destroying me even with the Mega Armour, and some scripts not working properly. I fail to see the point of the Hellhound and I am no fan of the Revenant placement - having an enemy capable of firing two homing projectiles at once spawn in front of you inside a tight corridor does not strike me as being very fair. Also, I noticed plenty of typos in the difficulty descriptions and computer logs.

I think I am going to wait for the mod to receive more polish, but in its current state, it can be quite a frustrating experience. I would also love for a Survival Horror mode that does not feature enemy respawn; I quite like the idea of reduced ammunition drops, but I am no fan of Nightmare mode.

I tested it days ago and i'm glad that it kept the atmosphere the original and enjoyed the tweak and animations introduced in it.
I have high hope in the future of this mod.

The discussion has been happening in this thread. I recently finished the campaign on version 1C and had a good time. As mentioned, there are quite a few things to polish up, including the Engrish in the computer logs and some of the gameplay mechanics. For instance, I've been having an issue where enemy weapon drops like Shotguns are picked up even at maximum shells. Also, for some reason the Cyberdemon doesn't infight with Revenants or the Mastermind in the later maps and I think the Revenants still damage themselves with their missile splash. The SSG also feels underpowered. It doesn't do 3x the damage of the Doom 2 Shotgun and, for instance, it takes 3 good SSG blasts to kill a Hell Knight but only 5 Shotgun blasts that can be done from a longer range. Pain Elementals also die in in 4 Shotgun shots but usually take 3 SSG ones. Needs a buff IMO. The Laser Gun is also horribly cell inefficient and pointless compared to the Plasma Rifle and especially the BFG. Cyberdemon rockets do too much damage and one-shot me at max HP/Armour.

I actually like the Revenant and Hellhound though. The Revenant is slow but requires a different approach since his missiles are significantly harder to dodge than the Doom 2 one. Once you get into the habit of using cover they become much easier. The Hellhound fills an interesting niche as it's rather fast and has a powerful melee attack but also a wide shot with his double projectile. It's like a more dangerous Baron+Pinky combo. Nightmare Imps are very threatening but countered well with spraying the Chaingun.

(Super secret levels need to get off the normal map rotation for one thing)

There were off when I played. I was taken to the final map 28 after 24.

I already hate the vanilla Revenant and its bullshit randomly homing projectile, so I am more than skeptical about its Brutal Doom 64 counterpart, which not only fires two always homing missiles at once but tends to spawn in areas where there is generally little room to dodge.

I guess I will have to experiment more with the Hellhound, given how I have only encountered it once while playing Doom II Reloaded with Brutal Doom 64. Maybe it can be fun to fight in maps that are specifically designed with it in mind, but as an Archvile substitute, it leaves much to be desired. If anything, it should act as an occasional replacement for Spectres or Barons in open areas where they can be engaged in close combat.

I liked it quite a bit, but those Revenants and Hellhounds need work. The sprite work looks like rejected material from AoD Doom.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I do not know about the Hellhound, but the Revenant clearly is an edit of Blood's Tchernobog.

Yes they both come from Blood, the Hellhound is the third boss in the game (The two headed version, theres also a normal one head version thats orange)
I've heard that the sprites are only placeholders until Mark can get his own, hopefully thats the case.

Not many on DW don't even care about the project and I can see why sometimes.

Glaice said:

Not many on DW don't even care about the project and I can see why sometimes.

Thanks for posting how much you don't care about BD in every BD-related thread.

It was a nice rehash of d64 again but surprisingly there really wasn't much added. Just seems like an upgraded version of ketchup or whatever was added and maybe a bit of new content (same stuff sgtmark IV did with the iwads basically). I think the reason a lot more people liked it over brutal doom is that it really isn't that brutal lol. This one just felt like an upgraded nashgore. Although it has sexy weapons and sounds, its missing all the fatalities and over the top craziness; raw carnage. Then again doom64 wasn't huge on that to begin with...