Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Decay

Tribute to Malinku

This is a speed-map I made in tribute to Malinku.

We worked together on a clan project together in 2010 called MSDuel, for our clan Machine Shop in Skulltag. It was a running joke that he was the only actual machinist in the clan :P We played many matches together against other clans and used to have many duel nights together. Malinku was a guy who never lost his cool and was never rude to people. Looking back I wonder how he ever put up with a guy like me who is a total opposite in temperament :P

This map is different for me in many ways. Although Malinku’s maps would change the way I mapped back then, our styles did radically diverge. Malinku’s maps, looking at them in MSDuel, focused on a simplicity that I do not, a clean look (but not necessarily plain… usually) that clashes with my usual overzealous texturing, and an oldschool feeling I try to stamp out in favour of new and/or advanced port features. Malinku’s maps are in Boom format, and thus I stuck with that. He did a lot of speedmapping and was really good at it. I am horrible at speedmapping. So I pretty much tossed out every convention I follow normally to make tribute to the guy who taught me a lot about mapping.

Malinku’s duel maps were characterized by a few things in my opinion. 1, there is very little hiding; finding an opponent is easy. 2, the use of height variation; his maps were generally 2 tiered with a ground level surrounded by different playing fields. 3, matches were fast-paced; relentless pressure won games. I have integrated his themes of metal, rock, and brick. I have tried to following his mapping style, perhaps too much so, in this map.

As such, this map only used vanilla resources, is Boom-compat and compatible in odamex, zandronum, and zdaemon. It’s probably not winning any awards anytime soon, but I hope people who play multiplayer doom enjoy it. It can be played in OS, NOS, or NS settings. It's pretty plain and simple, and given he made me a duel map consisting ENTIRELY of ashwall2 and startan, I think he would've liked this.
It's got no name or music for now, map01.

Feedback, critique, opinions appreciated. RIP dude.

Download: https://www.sendspace.com/file/jc95i4

EDIT: Additional Download, I separated his maps from MSDuel so anybody could easily play them. Get them here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/cbtz9w
Screenshot

Good on you Decay; a nice gesture that looks to me like it turned out nicely. I just took a quick run around in it on D-Touch and while I don't know what the spawns situation is, the weapon/item placement looked really nice, if missing a few-to-ten more rocket spawns, heh.

The detailing looked nice for a speedmap, and great for an OS DM map; it would fit right into something like duel40. Assuming I'm seeing this right; also as well as I can in a -solo-net situation, which is to say everything is a guess! Yay

This map does seem like it will flow well; my quick run around, even with these atrocious touch-screen controls, found me hung up in few spots. I enjoyed the fact that many areas can see a large portion of the map. The way you described it was very much the way it seemed to be to me, though once again I'd have to actually see it in action. Even then, it would take time for me to learn the map at play before I could give feedback with any hint of reliability to it. Nonetheless, navigating this map is quite user-friendly and it looks like unless you totally screwed up the spawn situation (which I doubt), deaths should be punished somewhat lightly in this map, which is something I like.

My one thing is the lift; I couldn't get it to work. I'm sure there's a switch or something I'm missing somewhere, but that thing and I didn't see eye to eye. I also didn't get the BFG; Idk if that's an SR-50 or not, but I can't do that to my knowledge or ability here so that I didn't figure out, though I did like its placement.

The map looks fun to me; great job man. When I get myself a new rig, we'll have to go a few rounds on this; cheers.

I'll play this a bit and give some feedback sometime soon, but for now I'll just say that Powermad is a very underappreciated map

Thanks guys. Fonze, you can do it with SR-40; I tested it in odamex too. Thanks Marcaek for testing it with me, I updated the link and fixed what needed to be fixed.

yea i like how everybody made fun of me for saying kjuistku er malinku's maps were better than the other shovelware in msduel...

good job decay you made both the worst and best maps in msduel (brick above mandarians tho...)

Hey Decay, I'm a very close friend of Malinku's and I want to personally say that the gesture of making a map in tribute to him means very, very much to me. I'm going to let his family know, and his dad (who got him into gaming) will especially be touched. Thank you so much.

Oh man sad to hear this he's been a help to me as far as teaching me how to make maps, will miss him, RIP Malinku

Originally from a pack called MSDUEL but I freed his maps from the pack so anybody could play them in their port of choice, since MSDuel is dependent on skulltag resources and thus requires zandronum to play. So here are those maps standing alone Malduel1

MAP04 doesn't work in PRboom+ because it's in hexen format.

I'm definetly going to look at these for inspiration, along with DWANGO and greenwar.

ah yea. I should've specified this is pretty much only for odamex, zandronum, and zdaemon. maybe I'll convert that one though to Boom format... Only reason I didn't was because I did not wish to alter the maps in anyway.

ehhhhh if you're going MP odamex is the best baseline compat to use Boom misses out on a lot of supported features.

I know Decay knows this but I'm repeating it here because it's important knowledge for pretty much anyone interested in PvP Doom mapping.

Marcaek said:

And simply not posting here anymore would have ended it.

EDIT on topic maybe you should rename the maplumps so that these can be loaded alongside other Duel wads, would help make them more accesible since it's rare stuff with less than 12 maps gets hosted period. I'm 99% certain oda and ZD support that anyway.

EHHHHHHHHH well, I thought about it like this. If it gets hosted on odamex (Doomkid plz), then it doesn't matter. Considering ZD and Zan, nobody will host it alongside another duel wad; they will either solely play this wad or they will only play a map that ends up in a compilation.

Nevertheless the ports DO support that, so maybe I will do that. I was going to slap in my tribute map at the end of the pack i think, so when I update the map I'll tidy everything up and make a formal release of the pack.

I'll happily host an Oda (and Zan/ZD if you want) server for this.

Decay said:

Here is the wad containing 5 MULTIPORT COMPATIBLE MAPS holy heck I tested it out in Odamex and Zandronum, I have no idea if it works in ZD but if it works in Odamex I can only assume it works in ZD.

That's generally a safe bet, I'm pretty sure ZD supports every mapping feature that Odamex does. Don't dumb this down to Boom, there's no point since it's MP. I'm pretty sure you know that but just restating for emphasis

Sorry about all that from a few days ago.

Anyways, I'll see what I can do with monster placement, then I'll ask you how it looks.

EDIT: Oh shit, I just realized this was a DM map. Whoops.