How will id handle a Hell on Earth sequel?

Have any of you guys seen a play through of that new agony game? The design of hell is glorious there, body parts are fuckin everywhere, teeth too. I think DOOM 2 should have a hell like that

Share this post


Link to post
BluePineapple72 said:

Have any of you guys seen a play through of that new agony game? The design of hell is glorious there, body parts are fuckin everywhere, teeth too. I think DOOM 2 should have a hell like that

That game looks PHENOMENAL! Its so wrong its actually brilliant! I´m not usually fond of that kind of gameplay, but that demo won me over.

Share this post


Link to post
BluePineapple72 said:

Have any of you guys seen a play through of that new agony game? The design of hell is glorious there, body parts are fuckin everywhere, teeth too. I think DOOM 2 should have a hell like that


Not sure. I mean I definitely see why you think it's doomy but it feels a bit too serious. Doom is supposed to be a bit more cartoony while still being realistic. Should they be inspired by it? Sure but maybe it should not be a primary inspiration.

Share this post


Link to post

I saw some gameplay for Agony. I will admit, Doom was the first thing that came to mind. Sure I get that Doom is actually cartoony but let's not mistake that it has some seriously dark and gory levels. I want Doom to represent some of that back, at least at particular segments.

Share this post


Link to post
Chezza said:

I saw some gameplay for Agony. I will admit, Doom was the first thing that came to mind. Sure I get that Doom is actually cartoony but let's not mistake that it has some seriously dark and gory levels. I want Doom to represent some of that back, at least at particular segments.


Oh, it's the same thing that came to my mind as well but I think people who say it's exactly like Doom go a bit too far.

Share this post


Link to post
BluePineapple72 said:

Have any of you guys seen a play through of that new agony game? The design of hell is glorious there, body parts are fuckin everywhere, teeth too. I think DOOM 2 should have a hell like that


I like how Scorn handles hell themes better.

Share this post


Link to post
Chezza said:

I saw some gameplay for Agony. I will admit, Doom was the first thing that came to mind. Sure I get that Doom is actually cartoony but let's not mistake that it has some seriously dark and gory levels. I want Doom to represent some of that back, at least at particular segments.


One of the main goals of the new DOOM was to never "disturb" the player, so Agony's depiction of Hell certainly doesn't jive with that goal. The devs wanted the player to feel adrenaline and joy rather than fear and repulsion. With that said, I do think the devs can go darker and weirder without disturbing the player and ruining the game's general tone. They'll have to be careful though.

Share this post


Link to post

If its the same team that released doom16, rather well. It wont be the canned call of doom, god forbid. Doesnt have to have survivors and apocalyptic vistas, you know. WOnt be on earth for many levels either, we have to fight the icon of sin, hayden/priest hybrid, and the dark lord you know ^^

Heh, also going from the current game, 13 levels are a lot of work for the devs. So anywhere from 5-7 levels on earth and 4-6 in hell I am guessing. Who knows, we may even start in hell or phobos / deimos where doomslayer has to first find a way to 'reforge' his suit to destroy its tether system.

If it has the same flowing storyline like in this doom, where maybe a 'reanimated' vega guides us through the gone mad / corrupted hayden's course and following his tracks and mishaps, it will be good I'll tell ya!

Oh man, the crucible looks so badass! Please id, give us another doom!

Share this post


Link to post
ChickenOrBeef said:

One of the main goals of the new DOOM was to never "disturb" the player, so Agony's depiction of Hell certainly doesn't jive with that goal. The devs wanted the player to feel adrenaline and joy rather than fear and repulsion.


I guess I missed how much PSX and N64 Doom evoked those feelings because they had not been experienced in previous versions of Doom. Doom 3 had touches of this as well. I think a lot of fans would appreciate this aesthetic making a comeback.

Share this post


Link to post
ChickenOrBeef said:

One of the main goals of the new DOOM was to never "disturb" the player, so Agony's depiction of Hell certainly doesn't jive with that goal. The devs wanted the player to feel adrenaline and joy rather than fear and repulsion. With that said, I do think the devs can go darker and weirder without disturbing the player and ruining the game's general tone. They'll have to be careful though.

I think having cool hell levels that are nasty would be great to evoke that great and unique badass heavy metal approach to DOOM that we got in the new DOOM. I'm thinking that they should go full Reign in Blood with their hell design to really give that bizarre and nasty feeling you should have in hell, all while being badass. A lot of the concept arts in the art of doom really help with that cool hell feel that is more than just rock temples.

Share this post


Link to post
BluePineapple72 said:

I think having cool hell levels that are nasty would be great to evoke that great and unique badass heavy metal approach to DOOM that we got in the new DOOM. I'm thinking that they should go full Reign in Blood with their hell design to really give that bizarre and nasty feeling you should have in hell, all while being badass. A lot of the concept arts in the art of doom really help with that cool hell feel that is more than just rock temples.


Absolutely. If the devs want to stay with the Heavy Metal theme...well there's some very dark and brutal forms of Metal out there. I understand that the devs wanted to maintain a vibe throughout the game that's fun and never 100% serious, so the main inspiration came from the "Heavy Metal" genre, such as Dio, Iron Maiden, etc. But I think a genre like Death Metal still has a sense of fun, while also being darker and weirder. I think that would be a natural progression for the sequel.

Share this post


Link to post
dsm said:

This, but with frequent short journeys into Hell like in Doom 2016 rather than a lengthy Hell segment at the end - I quite liked that you were sent back and forth between the Techbase and the Hell theme in the latest game.

Oh and the Hell theme needs to evolve beyond the stone dungeon look.

I just saw this, and this sounds great actually.

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

I guess I missed how much PSX and N64 Doom evoked those feelings because they had not been experienced in previous versions of Doom. Doom 3 had touches of this as well. I think a lot of fans would appreciate this aesthetic making a comeback.


Even the Doom 64 levels are too over the top to scare the player.

I liken Doom to Slayer and Cannibal Corpse. For me at least they evoke the very same feeling. Just because they sing of flesh, blood and demons does not mean I'm scared. In fact, songs I find songs like Kill or Become to be quite funny. They are so ridiculous and extreme I can't help but laugh.

Now on the other hand they could explore all kinds of bizarre and weird forms of hell in DLC. Why? Because it would be too much of a risk in a main game. I think DLC is a perfect testing ground for ideas for future games. I would quite like a hell based on black metal.

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

Even the Doom 64 levels are too over the top to scare the player.

I liken Doom to Slayer and Cannibal Corpse. For me at least they evoke the very same feeling. Just because they sing of flesh, blood and demons does not mean I'm scared. In fact, songs I find songs like Kill or Become to be quite funny. They are so ridiculous and extreme I can't help but laugh.

Now on the other hand they could explore all kinds of bizarre and weird forms of hell in DLC. Why? Because it would be too much of a risk in a main game. I think DLC is a perfect testing ground for ideas for future games. I would quite like a hell based on black metal.


I've always felt a cool idea for a game would be to have areas based on each of the main Metal sub-genres. The Forest of Black Metal, The Underworld of Death Metal, The Desert of Stoner Metal, The Ocean of Post-Metal, The Mountain of Power Metal, The Mall of Metalcore, etc.

Brutal Legend is the closest thing to that idea, but they didn't really have realms dedicated to each sub-genre.

Anywho, I certainly think that overall idea can be an inspiration for the next DOOM game. Branch out from just traditional Heavy Metal art and create Hell areas inspired by other sub-genres.

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

I would quite like a hell based on black metal.


That would look supremely generic and drab if you've ever seen an average black metal album cover.

Share this post


Link to post

I'd like for the next Doom to have several hub cities/command posts that the you can travel between by vehicle. In the hubs you get missions from the earth resistance force that take you to various locations overrun by demons, for example, an office tower or a factory.

Share this post


Link to post
TheGamePhilosophe said:

I'd like for the next Doom to have several hub cities/command posts that the you can travel between by vehicle. In the hubs you get missions from the earth resistance force that take you to various locations overrun by demons, for example, an office tower or a factory.


As much as I like that, it has too high a probability of straying dangerously far from the established mechanics of a Doom game.

Share this post


Link to post

Whatever the sequel will be it needs to flow naturally from the story of this game. It doesn't have to specifically be an updated Doom 2. After all, Doom (2016) is not really an updated Doom 1 either. However, whatever it entails, we do need to see different locales. I don't want to be looking down mars outpost corridors or mars landscapes. We can go back to hell, but there needs to be some variation. I think that was the point with Doom 2 but I can't say it was done very well. Maybe this sequel can do better though?

Actually, part of the Doom lore is that worlds that hell conquers begin to meld with the Hell dimension. It would be neat to see some Earth landmarks merged into hell as if hell is succeeding in conquering Earth. Maybe irrevocably. All is lost, but the Doom Slayer's only purpose is revenge and wiping them out for good. Nothing to save, just rip and tear.

Share this post


Link to post
MusicallyInspired said:

Whatever the sequel will be it needs to flow naturally from the story of this game. It doesn't have to specifically be an updated Doom 2. After all, Doom (2016) is not really an updated Doom 1 either. However, whatever it entails, we do need to see different locales. I don't want to be looking down mars outpost corridors or mars landscapes. We can go back to hell, but there needs to be some variation. I think that was the point with Doom 2 but I can't say it was done very well. Maybe this sequel can do better though?

Actually, part of the Doom lore is that worlds that hell conquers begin to meld with the Hell dimension. It would be neat to see some Earth landmarks merged into hell as if hell is succeeding in conquering Earth. Maybe irrevocably. All is lost, but the Doom Slayer's only purpose is revenge and wiping them out for good. Nothing to save, just rip and tear.


I suspect this is what will happen. And I was just thinking of this myself last night, specifically what you said, ''After all, Doom (2016) is not really an updated Doom 1 either'', and so I was thinking of how the sequel will differ from doom2 in the same way doom16 differed from the phobos/deimos/inferno sequence.

Share this post


Link to post

Earth is too conventional for a fullblown game but I do want to see it but just for a few levels. For the sequel they should also try a few unconventional areas such as a base on the North Pole. I was quite disappointed when the icy area of VEGA Processing was so brief. It would have been interesting to explore.

There also needs to be more variety in Hell. Blood, guts and bricks are the cornerstone of Doom's Hell but there needs to be more variety. A quick way to make the original levels more interesting would have been to change the lighting of some rooms to blue or green. The DLC maps had some really interesting hellish landscapes though.

I would like the structure to be Hell > Earth > Mars/Moons > Hell

But just Earth? Hell no.

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

Earth is too conventional for a fullblown game but I do want to see it but just for a few levels. For the sequel they should also try a few unconventional areas such as a base on the North Pole. I was quite disappointed when the icy area of VEGA Processing was so brief. It would have been interesting to explore.

There also needs to be more variety in Hell. Blood, guts and bricks are the cornerstone of Doom's Hell but there needs to be more variety. A quick way to make the original levels more interesting would have been to change the lighting of some rooms to blue or green. The DLC maps had some really interesting hellish landscapes though.

I would like the structure to be Hell > Earth > Mars/Moons > Hell

But just Earth? Hell no.


Yeah defo not just earth. I would like the same 13 levels amount as long as they are slightly bigger and each one different and memorable like in doom16.

I thought hell here wasn't hellish enough tbh O_O ... except the argent dnur arenas and some areas of kadingir, it felt more like a medieval village or ghost town than hell to me.

Share this post


Link to post

No, I totally agree not just Earth.

massivefanofdoom said:

I thought hell here wasn't hellish enough tbh O_O ... except the argent dnur arenas and some areas of kadingir, it felt more like a medieval village or ghost town than hell to me.


That's because it was explained that Hell was merging with the Argent D'Nur world. That's where all the architecture and symbols come from. It was all explained in the logs you find and the testaments in Hell.

Share this post


Link to post
MusicallyInspired said:

No, I totally agree not just Earth.

That's because it was explained that Hell was merging with the Argent D'Nur world. That's where all the architecture and symbols come from. It was all explained in the logs you find and the testaments in Hell.


No I know that, I'm a big lore fan hehe. But the argent d'nur merged with hell level is ironically the most hellish to me, than the actual hellish levels like necro and titan O_O

Kadingir was in hell too, and it seemed pretty hellish though

Share this post


Link to post
massivefanofdoom said:

No I know that, I'm a big lore fan hehe. But the argent d'nur merged with hell level is ironically the most hellish to me, than the actual hellish levels like necro and titan O_O

Kadingir was in hell too, and it seemed pretty hellish though


Idk, they look pretty hellish to me. Blood, guts and bricks and the occasional tree and wrought-iron pillar. Doesn't get more Doom than that.

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

Idk, they look pretty hellish to me. Blood, guts and bricks and the occasional tree and wrought-iron pillar. Doesn't get more Doom than that.


That's true, I guess. I dunno, felt really different than hell in titan and necropolis. Although dont get me wrong, the feel - the music - the environment etc in Titan, is one of my favourites in the entire game. Second to only kadingir which is my totally overall favorite level.

Man, that musical score once you enter the titan's maw and the cacos start firing at you and creeping towards you - the *feel* still gives me goosebumps. Epic.

Share this post


Link to post

A futuristic, demon-infested Earth that slowly descends into the bowels of Hell, depicted as some perverted cross-dimensional meeting place between our world and theirs, would be about as literal of a Doom 2 adaptation as you could get. Recall that the Doom 2 setup file divides the levels into starport/city/hell. There is totally enough material to do something fantastic if the art direction is creative and diverse. Problem is--and this has been pointed out before--people associate Doom so much with the Martian setting, an Earth-based one might be a turn-off. People might liken it too much to other Earth-based shooters, making it less distinctive. I think it could work though, because for all the small gripes I have with it, Doom '16 is about as good as it could possibly be. It's evidence that id can still pull it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Touchdown said:

Because it's more personal to, well, us. It's relatable unlike some alien homeworld. Besides, it'd be cool to see a demonic invasion of high tech Earth cities.

We see those kind of things on many games of destroyed earth civilizations so I don't see how it would be any different from DOOM's perspective honestly.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, if they're not going to set the game on Earth or Mars, they should at least try new locations, like the Moon, or one of Jupiter's moons such as Ganymede or Europa. Hell, they could even try to put in Tei Tenga for all we care, if they're looking to steer away from Hell on Earth.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now