Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

How will id handle a Hell on Earth sequel?

If they do go with a Hell On Earth sequel, they should at least fuckin have Daisy.

All jokes aside they prolly will go With Hell On Earth, and they should expand the architectural ideas and make the textures look....less drab because let face it:  Doom 2 city textures look like shit. Id imagine something more cyberpunk-ish/ System shock-ish shit would go perfect with Doom 2.

If not, I think a different planet would be cool. Or even a different moon. I dunno something else besides earth. Or even maybe a space station

i dunno im not very good with ideas for games but just my 2 cents..... 

As far as story goes I think it would be cool to find out that Argent energy was steeped in suspicion and conspiracy theories on earth while it was being supplied, and after all hell breaks loose everybody on earth is like, "God damn it, we knew something was fucked up with that Argent energy!"

12 hours ago, Percival232 said:

All jokes aside they prolly will go With Hell On Earth, and they should expand the architectural ideas and make the textures look....less drab because let face it:  Doom 2 city textures look like shit. Id imagine something more cyberpunk-ish/ System shock-ish shit would go perfect with Doom 2.

If not, I think a different planet would be cool. Or even a different moon. I dunno something else besides earth. Or even maybe a space station

If it's set on an off-world colony, Europa, or some other ice moon would make for an interesting setting - I'm so sick of seeing barren stone in every Id game they've put out since the original Doom 2 (which at least had grass).

Besides, the Arctic theme briefly explored in Vega Central Processing was one of my favorite visual themes of Doom 2016 (never seen an ice level in an Id game before - not one actually made by Id), so it'd be great to see that explored further.

If set on Earth, starting out on a UAC base on Antarctica would also be really nice, because bloody ice.

You know, I've thought about how bases on the moon, Titan, Eruopa, etc., or even something Event Horizon-ish such as the upper atmosphere of a gas giant, is something that could change things up nicely. It would be terrific if some of the levels were on Earth, and a few were set on other off-world colonies. Jupiter in particular would be interesting as it's an extraordinarily beautiful planet and its thick clouds would make for a wild backdrop. I think the cities on Earth could have a weird lived-in/rustic look while being cyberpunk-ish. It doesn't need to be clean and shiny. Blade Runner, once again, would be a good place to use an influence. The last Mad Max movie also has a great look that would work.

4 hours ago, GoatLord said:

You know, I've thought about how bases on the moon, Titan, Eruopa, etc., or even something Event Horizon-ish such as the upper atmosphere of a gas giant, is something that could change things up nicely.

I agree, a space base on the moon would feel much different from a space base on Mars because while Mars is a rocky wasteland with a red sky the moon is a rocky wasteland with no sky at all which would spice the things up signifficantly. I really like your ideas I can imagine the player being in awe of how varied the game is because at one time he is in a space base where he can see thick clouds through the window and at the other time he is in a space base where he can see a rock. 

I'd love to see more Possessed variants in DOOM 2. Here's some I thought would pop up:

- A possessed "light soldier"- basically, serving for a government/company that doesn't have the advanced power armor and .50 cal assault rifles the UAC has. Looks like a regular Possessed mostly (though with two eyes, ears, hands, etc- fairly intact for one), with light armor, patrol cap/helmet, etc. and wields a Burst Rifle. Moves about as fast as the Possessed Soldier but 1/2 the health (or slightly more than a regular Possessed).

- A possessed Elite Guard armed with a chaingun. Red armor, fat from eating dead bodies, and arms melded into a Chaingun giving him a strong resemblance to the old Chaingun Guy. Walks slowly but has lots of health and continually shoots as long as you're in sight.

- A possessed civilian (maybe even a lumberjack if it's on the Earth levels) armed with a Chainsaw. Runs quickly and goes for big slashes and stabs at close range but beyond that is not very durable.

22 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

I'd love to see more Possessed variants in DOOM 2. Here's some I thought would pop up:

- A possessed "light soldier"- basically, serving for a government/company that doesn't have the advanced power armor and .50 cal assault rifles the UAC has. Looks like a regular Possessed mostly (though with two eyes, ears, hands, etc- fairly intact for one), with light armor, patrol cap/helmet, etc. and wields a Burst Rifle. Moves about as fast as the Possessed Soldier but 1/2 the health (or slightly more than a regular Possessed).

- A possessed Elite Guard armed with a chaingun. Red armor, fat from eating dead bodies, and arms melded into a Chaingun giving him a strong resemblance to the old Chaingun Guy. Walks slowly but has lots of health and continually shoots as long as you're in sight.

- A possessed civilian (maybe even a lumberjack if it's on the Earth levels) armed with a Chainsaw. Runs quickly and goes for big slashes and stabs at close range but beyond that is not very durable.

I have a document with ideas for new Possessed.

ID should be fine with a new Doom game if they stay with the standard Doom 2016 settled. A Doom 2 reboot would be a great opportunity to try out some cool environment designs, like dungeons, snowy forest levels, old creepy abandoned cities. I personally wouldn't mind if they shifted a little bit towards a spookier game, still a fast shooter but with overwhelming environments and darker palletes.

It would be a great opportunity to have friendly NPC's (Marines/Soldiers) tag along with you through some sections of the game like Halo 1, expendable grunts but you can try to keep them alive and help them complete their objectives.

It would add a lot of flavour, especially if they make remarks about you while you kill stuff.

On 19/12/2017 at 11:46 AM, Ginsu0311 said:

It would be a great opportunity to have friendly NPC's (Marines/Soldiers) tag along with you through some sections of the game like Halo 1, expendable grunts but you can try to keep them alive and help them complete their objectives.

It would add a lot of flavour, especially if they make remarks about you while you kill stuff.

So like Daikatana?

On 12/9/2017 at 2:09 AM, GhoulDesecrator said:

ID should be fine with a new Doom game if they stay with the standard Doom 2016 settled. A Doom 2 reboot would be a great opportunity to try out some cool environment designs, like dungeons, snowy forest levels, old creepy abandoned cities. I personally wouldn't mind if they shifted a little bit towards a spookier game, still a fast shooter but with overwhelming environments and darker palletes.

Doom with a spookier tone sounds like Doom 64.

On 12/19/2017 at 0:46 PM, Ginsu0311 said:

I hate to dash people's dreams, but I'm pretty sure that adding NPCs will just drag the combat down, which needs to remain fast and fluid; having to watch out for some AI dudes while you're busy navigating the combat area, dodging projectiles while aiming and hitting straight will just clutter up the combat and make it unnecessarily frustrating I think.

Besides, with how the lore and tone of the new Doom series is all about making the player feel like a greatly feared, angry God (the only thing that Demons are truly terrified of), NPC marines would end up feeling so squishy as to be redundant.

I wouldn't even want to see NPC troops get torn to pieces on the other side of bullet proof glass anymore, because not only have I seen that in so many other games at this point that it's become a really tired cliché, but I honestly think the minimalist approach of seeing their torn bodies in the game world is far more effective as it allows you to use your own imagination about how these troops met their grisly end.

5 hours ago, dsm said:

I hate to dash people's dreams, but I'm pretty sure that adding NPCs will just drag the combat down, which needs to remain fast and fluid; having to watch out for some AI dudes while you're busy navigating the combat area, dodging projectiles while aiming and hitting straight will just clutter up the combat and make it unnecessarily frustrating I think.

Besides, with how the lore and tone of the new Doom series is all about making the player feel like a greatly feared, angry God (the only thing that Demons are truly terrified of), NPC marines would end up feeling so squishy as to be redundant.

I wouldn't even want to see NPC troops get torn to pieces on the other side of bullet proof glass anymore, because not only have I seen that in so many other games at this point that it's become a really tired cliché, but I honestly think the minimalist approach of seeing their torn bodies in the game world is far more effective as it allows you to use your own imagination about how these troops met their grisly end.

Eh. I'd actually love to see some UAC Soldiers in the field, though they would be sparingly utilized at best. Give them heavy assault rifles or plasma rifles and AI coded to stay out of your way (given that you aren't really working with them so much as you have similar goals in the immediate moment, and your angry God of Death style actions would make them justifiably terrified of you) while still peppering demons, and I think they'd be a fun little thing. Making them fight demons without necessarily following you unless their objective happens to be in the same direction also solves the issue of Daikatana-style crappy follower AI.

Even if they don't appear in campaign, having UAC Soldiers in the SnapMap mode to pit against demons, armed with a variety of weaponry, would be really fun.

Since Doom 2016 is getting on now in age and hardware is getting better, not to mention Wolfenstein 2 had much higher demands, perhaps this next Doom should follow suit and use better hardware expectations to push for more monsters onscreen. One of Doom 2016's biggest flaws was perhaps that there was a hard limit to how many enemies could spawn in at once, which is especially noticeable on Snapmap levels that don't restrict the player. I'm not expecting Nuts.Wad levels of enemies but maybe the same amount as a typical Classic Doom level would have, that way it would feel more classical and less like arena fights.

On 12/23/2017 at 2:16 AM, MetroidJunkie said:

Since Doom 2016 is getting on now in age and hardware is getting better, not to mention Wolfenstein 2 had much higher demands, perhaps this next Doom should follow suit and use better hardware expectations to push for more monsters onscreen. One of Doom 2016's biggest flaws was perhaps that there was a hard limit to how many enemies could spawn in at once, which is especially noticeable on Snapmap levels that don't restrict the player. I'm not expecting Nuts.Wad levels of enemies but maybe the same amount as a typical Classic Doom level would have, that way it would feel more classical and less like arena fights.

Doom16 enemies are much, much more difficult to fight than doom2 enemies, though. Even the imps and zombie analogues are far more deadly. Having to keep track of, avoid, and attack more than the 14(?) enemies that are allowed to be active at once would be extremely difficult for 99% of players.

On 12/23/2017 at 10:07 PM, MrD!zone said:

Its been a year and i still haven't played doom 2016.

OK AND? Are you expecting some kind of reward or achievement? 

1 hour ago, royaldj said:

OK AND? Are you expecting some kind of reward or achievement? 

No. Not at all, I was just disappointed in myself that i still haven't played the game yet.

11 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

No. Not at all, I was just disappointed in myself that i still haven't played the game yet.

Why does BJ in your profile pic have red hair? Violation of gaming history if I ever saw one. 

I think this will be a good opportunity for id to explore some of the themes from the scrapped version of Doom 4 and figure out how to make it work for Doom '16's style along with expectations from fans.

On 12/25/2017 at 0:22 PM, NEANDERTHAL said:

Doom16 enemies are much, much more difficult to fight than doom2 enemies, though. Even the imps and zombie analogues are far more deadly. Having to keep track of, avoid, and attack more than the 14(?) enemies that are allowed to be active at once would be extremely difficult for 99% of players.

At least steer away from the locked into an arena model that Doom 2016 had quite a lot of. It got a little predictable when you would just start expecting waves of enemies before the door unlocks itself.

17 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

At least steer away from the locked into an arena model that Doom 2016 had quite a lot of. It got a little predictable when you would just start expecting waves of enemies before the door unlocks itself.

This I think is largely hardware related. In OG Doom/Doom 2 you can run around the level and potentially have a parade of dozens of enemies following you. This is obviously too taxing for even modern hardware, if you want Doom '16 level visuals. I imagine we'll see a return to that kind of "play at your pace" gameplay in the next installment.

23 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

This is obviously too taxing for even modern hardware, if you want Doom '16 level visuals.

Less to do with visuals (although it is still included), rather AI. The more your AI can do, the more complex its pathing needs to be, and thus to more expensive path finding is, even with prebuilt nodes. If you allow your AI to run around completely unconstrained it can create some rather unfortunate situations with needing more enemies active than you initially predicted for your performance targets, or can break scripts in unpredictable ways if you reach any sort of spawn cap.

Doom1/2 are slightly more unique in that regard in that they have a trick; the AI is already active to start with, regardless if they are awoken or not, so you can very easily predict your performance target just by starting the map. Modern games simply do not work like that due to memory limitations, rendering and CPU performance, and thus spawn in actors dynamically, and even constrain rooms that you aren't around.

This isn't a recent trend by the way, it's been going on since late 90's. As map sizes exploded and AI started to do more than change directions if colliding into something, the memory and CPU limitations quickly became apparent.

And just to make it clear, this gets wildly unpredictable with modern PCs with the dramatic difference in hardware between higher and lower end systems. You can have all the cores you want, but as long as the majority of systems still only have 2-4 threads and 8GB of RAM, that's what needs to be targeted.

Edited by Edward850

Random little thoughts and ideas regarding what weapons and baddies they might draft up for the singleplayer.

----------------------------

Light Assault Rifle

"A common personal firearm for security forces lacking powered armor, the UAC Light Assault Rifle is cheap, reliable, and quite durable. Its 7.62mm FMJ rounds are not particularly powerful relative to the .50 ammo fired by its bigger brother, but the Light Assault Rifle projects large quantities of fire quickly, more than making up for this."

Weapon Mod 1: Underbarrel pump-action grenade launcher (projects contact grenades, pump speed similar to the Combat Shotgun)

Weapon Mod 2: Underbarrel flamethrower (projects a constant stream of flame, powerful but very short-ranged)

Resembles the cut assault rifle from the Doom 2016 files. Does only around 6-8 damage per shot (compared to 10-13 for the HAR) but fires much faster, thus comparable to a submachine gun in role. Moderate accuracy, and has a separate ammo pool from the heavy assault rifle.

Dual Pistols

"The standard UAC EMG is lightweight enough to be held in one hand and fired with ease. Due to its low power against most demons, UAC soldiers have taken to acquiring two weapons and using them at once in emergency situations. While this is officially unadvised, it has proven to be a life-saving maneuver in many situations, and as such has been unofficially ratified by UAC command."

The pistol can now be doubled up as a "weapon mod" of sorts alongside its regular charge. You can't use the charge while you're doing this (since you need to hold it with two hands while charging up); but the higher rate of fire plus infinite ammo can come in handy I reckon.

Possessed Light Trooper

"Because of the infrastructure and maintenance demands of UAC power armor, it is not often deployed in backwater installations or even in enormous numbers without difficulties arising. For this reason, examples of the Possessed wearing older-model nonpowered armor and wielding Light Assault Rifles have been encountered. They seem to exhibit the same tactics and intelligence as their power-armored counterparts."

Basically, a throwback to the classic trooper. Wears a tan jumpsuit with gray combat armor, and has both eyes, ears, hands, etc. (remarkably intact for a possessed). Holds and fires his light assault rifle like the classic trooper. In combat, runs around and shoots off bursts at the player, having less HP and damage than the possessed soldier but with hitscan attacks and greater numbers. There can also be a "sergeant" variant with a black jumpsuit, with greater health and with the power to make nearby troopers more accurate and damaging (if that makes any sense).

Pistol Scientist

"Tier 2 adherents in the UAC are issued the UAC EMG sidearm for self-defense, and are given a mandatory basic pistol training course. This pattern is not very strongly repeated but a small proportion of possessed seem to "remember" it and attempt to utilize EMG pistols on hand. They are generally a low-tier threat but can still pose a risk if unexpected."

The weakest kind of shooting possessed, comparable to the classic troopers in balance. Moves real slowly, shoots off inaccurate single snap shots with their Pistol, and is just as squishy as the regular possessed. Can be spammed in big numbers or just found around to add a little extra flavor to fighting in the early levels, before light troopers and soldiers are introduced.

Cultist

"Those who willingly threw in with the demons were sometimes not immediately killed, but rather allowed to operate alongside them. Generally, this category includes those members of the UAC military who had been taken in by the demonic influence before the invasion began. They are highly dangerous combatants, assisted by mutations and powers gifted to them by their dark masters as a reward for fighting in their name."

Cultists look like multiplayer ones and are generally "evil players", having high movement speed, health, good tactics, and they can even have almost any weapon. They're generally found in Hell areas or where the borders between the human world and Hell is.