Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Michael92

ZDoom and Zdaemon - questions

Hey, I got 2 questions just out of of curiosity than mandatory to fix it:

In ZDoom when I get damage, pick up Berserk Pack, Radiation Suit etc. I've discovered long ago that screen tinting is truecolor rendered than by palette, yet it's very distinguishable when the tinting fades slowly away from being hurt. I have set vid_defbits and vid_displaybits to 8. Is there a way to emulate paletted rendering of tinting like in Vanilla/Chocolate Doom?

About ZDaemon: When I pick up Berseck Pack, the red screen tint dazzles me more than in Vanilla/Chocolate Doom, in a way I'm confused enough to be a sitting duck for monsters - I died twice in multiplayer survival because of this :) Is there a way to fix this issue directly or only by wourkaround?

Both source ports are up-to-date.

Michael92 said:

Is there a way to emulate paletted rendering of tinting like in Vanilla/Chocolate Doom?

No. ZDoom always calculates the colors on the fly. It's the only way how different blend effects can be combined and custom blends be used.

Michael92 said:

About ZDaemon: When I pick up Berseck Pack, the red screen tint dazzles me more than in Vanilla/Chocolate Doom, in a way I'm confused enough to be a sitting duck for monsters - I died twice in multiplayer survival because of this :) Is there a way to fix this issue directly or only by wourkaround?

Both source ports are up-to-date.

It's too long ago to be 100% sure but I believe the ZDoom version this is based on had the formula wrong.

I'm sorry to double-post. I don't want make another topic about ZDoom derivatives as I got now one more question:

Is it possible for GZDoom to not strech display to fit screen? Specifically 640x400 in 640x480, letterboxed? Minimum resolution my GPU can offer is 640x480, and in this resolution some things like text or HUD are ugly stretched. I don't want to use filters, by the way.

I'm afraid my question isn't specified enough.

By ugly stretching, I mean that some lines of gfx are doubled (or even eaten up). Here's the finest example I guess:

Spoiler

This effect is more visible, when the text is scrolling.

Michael92 said:

I'm sorry to double-post. I don't want make another topic about ZDoom derivatives as I got now one more question:

Is it possible for GZDoom to not strech display to fit screen? Specifically 640x400 in 640x480, letterboxed? Minimum resolution my GPU can offer is 640x480, and in this resolution some things like text or HUD are ugly stretched. I don't want to use filters, by the way.

If you use such low resolutions such things are nearly unavoidable, especially if you don't use filters. I can't even properly test anymore on my system below 800x600.

More importantly on the given example, the mod is designed for higher resolutions so the graphic in question is being scaled down to fit 640x480. There's not much that can be done to make that look better. Except perhaps having an option to render the 3D view at a lower resolution than the 2D elements.

Thank you again for your answers.

By the way: Is it still possible for Zdaemon (specifically Single Player mode) to show text screens after beating maps, like in MAP06 to MAP07 in Doom II? Going through maps, I've noticed they're completelly ignored and I don't know if something is wrong in config file.

PS: I am aware it's a multiplayer source port which this thing may be skipped. I'm asking if it's still possible to turn text screens on anyway.