Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

Blade of Agony Chapter 1 released

"You are B.J. Blazkowicz, the greatest spy and biggest risk-taker the Allied forces have ever known. Take on the might and fury of the Third Reich as you blast your way to victory!" After a development time of exactly 21 months, the team announces the release of the first chapter of Blade of Agony titled "The Staff of Kings" - just a day before the announced release date. With a total of seven maps, orchestrated music, combined low-poly models and pixelated 90's style beauty, armament from the battlefields of WWII, interactive NPCs, and many more amazing features never seen in a Doom mod before, this is one of the largest releases the community has ever seen - at least in terms of digital size and scale. Join historical battles, relieve the action from the Second World War from a new perspective, and battle the diabolical Adolf Hitler, who is twisting science and the occult in his pathological mission to conquer the world. The fate of all free peoples hangs in the balance - failure is not an option. Get the first chapter of Blade of Agony now from the official page and make sure to read the info pages while it's loading to not get lost too easily.

not gonna lie, feels a bit... eh, seeing that moderators are able to just post their projects on the front page. its not to devalue the creator's project, but it definitely feels egotistical.

Chrono_T said:

not gonna lie, feels a bit... eh, seeing that moderators are able to just post their projects on the front page. its not to devalue the creator's project, but it definitely feels egotistical.

This isn't just a mapset, it is a huge and very ambitious project. It is "news"!

Chrono_T said:

Torm isn't a moderator here, so I don't know how this is on-topic.

This seems all too familiar... I thought the basic rules on posting news topics about mods was that someone other than the mod creator had to create the post. I believe this rule was actually made because of Torm Himself, kdizd shoutout ;)

Thanks for the clarification scidude... not saying I don't like the project, it's my new fave Doom thing actually, here's to ya Torm, a big scotch for ya drunk by me |)

Ah, I so never read that addendum edit! Still, after hearing that this mod too had some infamy behind it, hard to be really interested in it

Infamy where? Did I miss sumthin? Or is it just coz it's Torm it's natural to assume infamy... If you like quality work, be interested chrono_dude

Hello dudes,

Let's point something concerning...

PERFORMANCE ON LOW END PCs:
- Take a look to ENH. OPTIONS
- I suggest to deactivate smoke effects for low-end pcs, also to tweak models distance to 4096 or 2048.
- Avoid at all costs Multisample & FXAA if you don't have at least 4gbs or VRAM and a Quad-Core CPU, but surely you can activate at least the Bloom effect which is so good to see :)
- Do not use OpenAL for audio, we can't assure you that it is perfectly supported by GZDoom (it is known in the past that OpenAL caused several craps here and there)
- I can run the game with above settings at 40/50fps with:
AMD Athlon x2 250 3ghz Dual-Core [NEVER OVERCLOCK CPUs!]
4gb ram ddr3 800mhz
GeForce GT 610 1024mb (2048mb total) [UPDATE YOUR VIDEO DRIVERS, ALWAYS]
1024x768 60hz no VSync
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit Service Pack 1 with .Net Framework 4.5

Best regards,

OZY

PS: I can only speak for 32bit users, so until I'll upgrade my pc to a 64bit OS I don't know what kind of aid I can give to you!

This is really good stuff but I have to ask: Why did you make this on the Doom engine? Why not Quake 3?

DooM_RO said:

This is really good stuff but I have to ask: Why did you make this on the Doom engine? Why not Quake 3?

Why do you play doom? Why not Quake? Obviously the answer is 'it's what I prefer'.

> The answer is because that is what the authors know and love and because it's more impressive to squeeze this kind of project out of an older engine.

Shoutouts to the BoA Team, I've been keeping track of your progress and I must say, I'm as impressed now as I was when I first found out about the project. Great work! :)

I logged in for the first time in years just to say a huge "Thank you!" to Torm and all other contributors to this project.

This really is something and I wanted to drop a line of thanks.

On a side note, it's amazing to see people whining about this when this is literally the biggest thing to happen to the game in years and years.

Curunir said:

I logged in for the first time in years just to say a huge "Thank you!" to Torm and all other contributors to this project.

This really is something and I wanted to drop a line of thanks.

On a side note, it's amazing to see people whining about this when this is literally the biggest thing to happen to the game in years and years.

I wasn't whining, just curious.

I totally respect what I have played. It's a blast.

Dragonfly said:

Shoutouts to the BoA Team, I've been keeping track of your progress and I must say, I'm as impressed now as I was when I first found out about the project. Great work! :)

Thank you Dragonfly, we also appreciated your little help!

Good project torm killing nazis never gets old (only older)

This project is bigger and better made than a great majority of others. If that isn't newsworthy, what is? I always find the fear of modders boasting their own projects stupid. Yea, how dare they advertise something they made, so 'self-centered' and 'egotistical'. Who else is more capable to write a detailed post on it anyway, their Uncle?

Curunir said:

Brutal doom would like to have a word with you...

Combinebobnt said:

Brutal doom would like to have a word with you...

I assume that by "the game," they meant Wolf 3D -- although there have been some pretty big mods for that game in recent years. Could be wrong though.

Where have you downloaded this btw?
I am going to that link, there are two versions (Mod Packaged and Stand alone) both saying 486MB. They get me to another site, where the files are 290 and 304MB, but ok I download. Then bot the zip files say CRC error for the PK3. But today I tried running the standalone version with the maybe bad PK3 and it worked. But I think I heard some screech sound when I start new game, maybe some speech that is broken? Not sure if these are correct, I got CRC errors for both, maybe I should try to redownload (but my speed is slow and I am paying per MB atm)

You can almost feel the engine warping and twisting in all sorts of unnatural ways. Imagine if Romero and CO saw it 23 years ago.

Can something be done about the performance? It's not unplayabe but it could be better.

I was just wondering what id would say about a mod that doesn't require a commercial IWAD to play? I'm only asking out of curiosity so please don't bite my head off. lol

savagegrant said:

I was just wondering what id would say about a mod that doesn't require a commercial IWAD to play? I'm only asking out of curiosity so please don't bite my head off. lol

They would say nothing. :)

Check out FreeDoom, The Adventures of Square, Action Doom 2, Nocturne In Yellow, Harmony and Hacx (Although that last one actually Paid id software back in the 90's to allow them to market it).

Dragonfly said:

They would say nothing. :)

Check out FreeDoom, The Adventures of Square, Action Doom 2, Nocturne In Yellow, Harmony and Hacx (Although that last one actually Paid id software back in the 90's to allow them to market it).

But all the examples you made use custom-made content. I think I've seen a lot of material derived from other games in Blade of Agony (e.g.: Wolf 3D) so I'm not sure it could be freely distributed.

Dragonfly said:

and Hacx (Although that last one actually Paid id software back in the 90's to allow them to market it).

Hacx was originally distributed as a PWAD, and the IWAD version of it is much newer.

Plays great for me, and I have a low profile office computer with 4Gb of RAM and a Nvidia Gt 730 low profile gfx card.

I like this!

Gez said:

Hacx was originally distributed as a PWAD, and the IWAD version of it is much newer.

Irrelevant to the point, id Software haven't taken legal action just because it can run as an IWAD.

Angry Saint said:

But all the examples you made use custom-made content. I think I've seen a lot of material derived from other games in Blade of Agony (e.g.: Wolf 3D) so I'm not sure it could be freely distributed.

That's got nothing to do with the question I was answering though, the question was essentially "will id Software have a problem with the community making their own IWAD".

As for what you're saying, yes, of course id Software (and many other companies) might get pissed off about BoA. It uses old commercial content all over the place - Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Wolfenstein, etc. :P

He was just correcting you. Anyway, the community takes some liberties with resources from super old games, from id or from other developers, noone cares. And if someone cares they will send a C&D letter and that will be it.

A little more on topic related to the game itself:

Anyone know where the Blue Key is on C1M5 (The France Map)? I can't seem to find it...

Ozymandias81 said:

Sure thing DooM_RO, check and read carefully this link

Thank you!

You guys really killed it with this mod. I can't wait to play the next part!

I hope you will consider adding stuff from the new Wolf games too.