Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HorrorMovieRei

Specific Things in Doom that annoy you

Very slow weapon switching that can get you killed in harder traps if you didn't have the BFG etc. out going in. After playing some D4D, I much prefer the weapon swap speed there.

Chaingunners. Everything about them. But more specifically when they're some of the first enemies in a map.

Gez said:

Slowly grind out a cyberdemon, spiderdemon, or some other hit point sponge with inadequate equipment only to find out a bit later that there was a telefrag or crusher setup to get rid of it.

What's worse than that? Discovering the telefrag setup after you inadvertently woke up the monster, and you end up in front of it instead.

Or related...there are two identical teleporters. One telefrags the monster. The other puts you in its sights. Guess which one you choose.

Traps whose effectiveness depends on forced weapon switching due to pickups (a new weapon or berserk pack) and the player's consequent inability to fire back for a few moments. Extra annoying if it's a close-quarters monster release just as the player grabs a rocket launcher, either extending that period of feeling hamstrung or leading to explosive suicice.

When people make youtube trailers for their wads and they do corny stuff like this.

40oz said:

When people make youtube trailers for their wads and they do corny stuff like this.

Those are some next-gen sparks man, gotta show 'em off!

New user here, sorry if I'm posting incorrectly. Anyways:

• Getting RL-happy and shooting a Lost Soul that was just launched from a Pain Elemental at my face

• Sliding down "thin" staircases after letting go of Forward

• Not being able to see because of Archviles flames

• Forgetting I'll not get to use the SSG when playing UDOOM

• When map designers make lava/nukage non-damaging, or make something silly like grass a damaging floor

• Damaging strobes. Even in vanila, that doesn't make any sense. I'll take my upside-down-cross-damage over that.

• Getting stuck in a crusher, in general. The sound and realization of what's happening are just annoying

• Missing out on a secret because it's a one-shot chance

• The strangeness of the BFG. I know how to use it well, but it's still an odd design choice IMO

1. Horizontal autoaim randomly diverting precisely aimed RL shots through narrow openings (or around corners) killing or damaging me. Or wasting my PG ammo.
2. Vertical autoaim not working over long distances.
3. Vertical autoaim targeting flying monsters instead of hitscanners below them.
4. Being unable to look up or down. Using vertical look on maps not designed with it in mind feels like cheating, so I don't. It is annoying, nonetheless.
5. Flying over pickups placed on the steps when going downstairs.
6. Damaging floors that don't look damaging.
7. The fact that weapons' sprites and their firing lines are misaligned.
8. Getting stuck on infinitely tall cacodemons (PEs, Lost Souls) that I can't see.
9. Having no way of attacking said cacodemons (PEs, Lost Souls) when they're too high above and there's not enough room to get a line of sight at them.
10. Maps that have gamebreaking bugs or design oversights making them unbeatable without cheats when you seemingly didn't do anything wrong.
11. "Clever" traps that sneakily spawn revenants/archies/hordes of imps right behind you - 20 times in a map.
12. One-shot secrets.
13. Secrets that have no indication of their existence whatsoever.

Monsters high above you but "near" you in the 2D plane fire super fast projectiles.

Rathori said:

1. Horizontal autoaim randomly diverting precisely aimed RL shots through narrow openings (or around corners) killing or damaging me. Or wasting my PG ammo.

It must have not been precisely aimed at the target, or the target must have been out of the autoaim range, otherwise the straight-line aim would detect the target and the side-line aims would not even be performed:

Spoiler

// P_SpawnPlayerMissile

[...]

slope = P_AimLineAttack (source, an, 16*64*FRACUNIT);

if (!linetarget)
    {
	an += 1<<26;

if (!linetarget)
	{
	    an -= 2<<26;
	}

if (!linetarget)
	{
	    an = source->angle;
	    slope = 0;
	}
    }
("linetarget" is a global variable set to a non-NULL value if P_AimLineAttack finds a target or to NULL if it doesn't.)

scifista42 said:

It must have not been precisely aimed at the target, or the target must have been out of the autoaim range, otherwise the straight-line aim would detect the target and the side-line aims would not even be performed

Yes, but sometimes autoaim and I have a different idea about which enemy I'm trying to shoot at.

I wonder about that. Maybe Doom 2 feels like an expansion of Doom 1, so it makes sense when it reuses some stuff from Doom 1. But when I'm playing Doom 1 it's like Doom 2 is not supposed to exist yet, so when I do encounter Doom 2 stuff it seems very alien. Something like that?

Memfis said:

I wonder about that. Maybe Doom 2 feels like an expansion of Doom 1, so it makes sense when it reuses some stuff from Doom 1. But when I'm playing Doom 1 it's like Doom 2 is not supposed to exist yet, so when I do encounter Doom 2 stuff it seems very alien. Something like that?

Even in Heroes.wad?

Rathori said:

Why the double standard?

Honestly I agree with Memphis, and for the most part it's because the soundtrack to Doom 1 is pretty good, memorable etc. Doom 2's soundtrack is, in my opinion, shit.

Dragonfly said:

it's because the soundtrack to Doom 1 is pretty good, memorable etc. Doom 2's soundtrack is, in my opinion, shit.

Well, can't argue with that :)

Memfis said:

Doom 2 music in Doom 1 wads. Stop that. The reverse is completely fine though.

We have footage proof that id themselves did that. "Waiting for Romero to Play" was used on E1M3.

Memfis said:

Doom 2 music in Doom 1 wads. Stop that. The reverse is completely fine though.

I don't see how that's a problem. A good midi is a Good midi regardless of origin.

Brutal Doom's interface not allowing you to turn off the dynamic lighting for flaming barrels or torches, on maps with lots of these it cripples even my 2014 computer.

Oh and it would be nice to be able to toggle the "Splash" effect for water as well, because when a lot of gibs hit the water it also drags my framerate to <1.

jazzmaster9 said:

I don't see how that's a problem. A good midi is a Good midi regardless of origin.

NO

Midis used in wads must be respective to the depicted time period the wad was designed to exist in.

40oz said:

NO

Midis used in wads must be respective to the depicted time period the wad was designed to exist in.

If the midi fits the map, It should not be a problem where the midi came from.

Guest Unregistered account

All maps must be made in DoomEd regardless of intended source port or size.

Maps must have once been drawn on paper as a Dungeons and Dragons campaign as a prerequisite to being a doom map.