Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HorrorMovieRei

Specific Things in Doom that annoy you

I don't see any problem with fairness, as all players would have the same freedom of choice. If one found out that his choice really makes him handicapped, he'd just change it. It's similar to customizing controls. Keyboard-only players might be handicapped against keyboard+mouse players, and yet keyboard-only controls aren't disallowed.

So, before joining a game, you'd check out the other players' settings or observe their behavior every time? For me this clearly falls into the domain of observing a common ruleset in a competitive sport, and is something better handled by the server's admin (the closest there is to a "referee", in this context) and applied flatly, automatically and verbatim to all players, rather than turning the game into a testing grounds for different levels of player mobility and handicaps.

Sure, there's nothing anybody can do for the choice of controllers on the player's side (unless we're talking about a LAN game in a controlled, refereed environment) but at least in ZDaemon admins can control pretty much every other aspect, including engine behaviors like weapon pickups, and make sure that everybody plays under the same rules (so nobody can e.g. claim that they missed a shot because they were undergoing a forced weapon change).

The above being said...a minor "optimization" I do in mostly flat DM maps is to disable free view (in servers which normally have it on/free): I found that keeping my aim fixed diminishes the chances of missing due to vertical aim drift, in a map where it wouldn't make sense anyway. I turn it back on as soon as the map layout changes again.

Maes said:

before joining a game,

I thought it'd be changeable during the game (again, similarly how controls are), and also that players would be inclined to change it about as often as they change their controls (that is, rarely, and once they do, they'll stick with the new controls as their new default), but oh well...

scifista42 said:

I thought it'd be changeable during the game

Even so, would you risk losing even a single frag or suffering even a single death before you realized you're on unequal terms with your opponents? Or are you too "large" and 1337 for a one-two frag or death handicap to bother you? ;-)

It annoys me how the player start in map01 of Doom 2 isn't perfectly centered. It should've been moved to left by one unit.

When I'm in a horrific clusterfuck of monsters and projectiles, low on health. I round a corner, and a zombieman chooses that one tic to not only immediately attack after seeing me, but do so with perfect accuracy, and roll maximum damage.

"Rifle Infantry was killed by a zombieman."

i'mnotevenangryjustimpressed.png

Rifle Infantry said:

When I'm in a horrific clusterfuck of monsters and projectiles, low on health. I round a corner, and a zombieman chooses that one tic to not only immediately attack after seeing me, but do so with perfect accuracy, and roll maximum damage.

"Rifle Infantry was killed by a zombieman."

i'mnotevenangryjustimpressed.png

even worse is when an ssg shot doesn't take down an imp. that's just flat out retarded.

Rifle Infantry said:

Even better if he manages to snipe you from such a distance that he's reduced to 1-2 pixels or even invisible ;-)

PHEAR THE ULTIMATE ZOMBIEMEN OF DOOM!

Actually, their combination of low health, low damage, highly unpredictable accuracy but also relentless hitscan attack, can make the lowly zombieman pretty terrifying if you're low on health. I'd rather fight a fully healthy imp in a small room than a single zombieman, even if I could kill him in a single pistol shot or punch. If the distance/size of the room is increased or the number of zombiemen is increased, that simply makes matters even worse. Imps would still be preferable.

Maps which don't account for multiplayer and certain rooms/traps break the map.

When hitscan shots drop or scatter around the enemy.

Secrets with nothing useful in them ('Wow, I really needed that armor bonus' -No one).

Forced Weapon Switch sucks.

Secrets that are too entirely stupid to access or obtain.

Generic predictable key traps.

Use of Wolfenstein textures and SS dudes in an otherwise not-too-bad level.

Mandatory crossing of damaging floors, for the love of Pete!!

Infinitely tall monsters -- ZDoom all the way!

Watching noobs shoot the BFG at a horde of monsters and then hide behind a corner. I know, I was a noob once. But that doesn't stop me from being annoyed.

when a cacodemon projectile hits a barrel behind you, which forces you into a wall, that you then rocket and kill yourself :|

was quite funny though

42PercentHealth said:

Watching noobs shoot the BFG at a horde of monsters and then hide behind a corner. I know, I was a noob once. But that doesn't stop me from being annoyed.

Are there any mods that allow the BFG to function "normally" without you having to stare at the monsters you want killed?

A gun that provoked 20 years of mastery being changed to "normal" would make it far from normal.

rehelekretep said:

when a cacodemon projectile hits a barrel behind you, which forces you into a wall, that you then rocket and kill yourself :|

was quite funny though

Gotta admit, that's something that never happened to me in 23 years of dooming. O_o

rehelekretep said:

well, that's oddly specific

Four Loko Is Gross said:

Are there any mods that allow the BFG to function "normally" without you having to stare at the monsters you want killed?

I don't know, probably... but why would you want it to function differently? The way the BFG works encourages careful maneuvering, careful positioning, and aggressive gameplay. I think this is what the developers intended, and they did a brilliant job at it too.

I've always wondered with the BFG: do the 40 tracer rays span randomly from the player, or are they equidistant across the 45 degree cone?

To that end, are there any mods that make the hitscan tracers visible?

Bauul said:

I've always wondered with the BFG: do the 40 tracer rays span randomly from the player, or are they equidistant across the 45 degree cone?

They are equidistant, except that autoaim can change their direction slightly.

I don't know about mods... I pretty much play vanilla exclusively.

Four Loko Is Gross said:

What would "normally" even be?

Bauul said:

Don't know of any...

Even one that showed them in IDDT would be cool.

Easy maps that have a number of high HP monsters present, but the strongest available cell weapon is a plasma rifle instead of the BFG. Hard to blame the mapper if they find the map reasonably challenging with the PR and feel the BFG would trivialize it, but still is a letdown.

Doom used to be about just fun and soul, now everything has to be analyzed and judged in my mind. Maybe it's possible to get out of this mindset.

Memfis said:

Maybe it's possible to get out of this mindset.

Come on! For some people this is Serious Business! How can you dare trivializing it... >)

I've been playing Doom in its various incarnations for over 20 years, but there are still a hell of a lot of things about it that annoy me. For instance:

Having to play a whole level or a large part of one without armour.

Maps where you spend longer trying to find the exit than you did slaughtering the monsters.

Gimmicks, eg timed switches for doors or lifts, crushers, 'telefragging'.

Watching those expert Doomers on Youtube jinking and sidestepping a few feet in front of a Cyberdemon, then dispatching it with a couple of BFG blasts. When I try to do that....

Surviving a torrid encounter with hordes of monsters, then being killed by a solitary lost soul or demon spectre which has sneaked up on me.

Rubbish pickups - the Berserk pack runs out far too quickly, and on the few occasions I bother trying to use it I usually end up dead. Likewise the invisibility sphere is largely a waste of time.

Summer Deep said:

Rubbish pickups - the Berserk pack runs out far too quickly, and on the few occasions I bother trying to use it I usually end up dead...

Something you must not have noticed in your 20 years..the berserk pack never runs out. It lasts an entire level. Save those invisibility spheres for hitscanners like chaingun dudes and shotgun guys, much better.