Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HorrorMovieRei

Specific Things in Doom that annoy you

12 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Really loud death exits. -_- 

To add to that, whenever a map has lots of cyberdemons/masterminds/boss eyes in the same room, and as soon as you walk in their line of sight your ears are assaulted with a deafening ear-rape of a demonic wail.

Damaging floor inconsistency within the same WAD - or worse, within the same map. I shouldn't have to gamble on whether shallow water will inexplicably kill me or not.

On 11.04.2017 at 11:48 AM, DoctorNuriel said:

Damaging floor inconsistency within the same WAD - or worse, within the same map. I shouldn't have to gamble on whether shallow water will inexplicably kill me or not.

"Caribbean" map in TNT? It has one part where brown slime is NOT damaging.

I think what annoys me most about the Doom engine is the weapons have fairly large damage ranges, so depending on how the RNG feels, you can sometimes kill an enemy in one shot, or it could take multiple. I mean, that's part of the balance of the game, but it can be frustrating, to say the least. But on the other hand, weapons having fixed amounts of damage probably wouldn't be very fun, either. Because then you'd just spam a strong weapon over and over again.

The SSG, BFG and Rocket Launcher feel extremely consistent compared to other weapons (SSG because it needs to roll so many shots and RL deals a large part of its damage consistently except vs bosses). Praying to rng while using pistol\chaingun\plasma can be a huge turn off. Especially when you start taking damage when they don't stun anything.

On 10/04/2017 at 5:18 PM, rdwpa said:

Really loud death exits. -_- 

Haha , Kama Sutra Map 29 is the best exemple I have in mind. (at 27:52)

revenant snipers who are in the dark and very awkward (or impossible) to remove.

add in some other enemies and/or AV crossfire and you have yourself an epic map!!!11

I despise revenant snipers that are positioned on top of tall sectors outside of the playable area. Fuck you, revenants. You too good to get on my level or sumthin?

On 10.4.2017 at 5:20 PM, 42PercentHealth said:

Only with headphones... otherwise they're good for a minor jumpscare.

Well I play mostly with headphones,  and the hellish teleports in doom 3 were so noisy that i had to quickly pull the cans off my ears every time I went into one...

Thinking that I've cleared an entire room that used to have dozens of mid to high-tier enemies, and while walking around there with a relief sensation, a silent enemy silently hits me from the back and drains my so much well cared health. 

Monsters teleporting in front of and behind me in a narrow corridor/bridge, leaving me no way to at least dodge their attacks. I find this kind of monster placement very nasty. 

While not something in Doom itself, it bothers me to no end how it doesn't bother anyone else when their sprite clipping option in G/ZDoom has sprites being half-way eaten by the floor in a screenshot posted.

I'm not a fan of those instantly raising lifts that make monsters appear from thin air. At least make them teleport in or something.

Blockmap glitch, it seems to appear in the WORST moments. How nerve-wracking is when I have a spectre biting me while I'm chain-something-ing him and not working because of that glitch. 

On 5/11/2017 at 2:04 PM, cyan0s1s said:

While not something in Doom itself, it bothers me to no end how it doesn't bother anyone else when their sprite clipping option in G/ZDoom has sprites being half-way eaten by the floor in a screenshot posted.

I hate when WAD authors put barons and other tall enemies into very small rooms. Barons shouldn't be able to move around when half their body won't fit in the room.

^ While I totally agree with you, this never felt like an issue on vanilla ports / software renderers, because the top of the sprite displays, rather than getting clipped off at ceiling height. :P

9 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

Secret exits which can be unaccessible at some point. Like those in Doom 64!

Or secrets in general that get closed off if you don't reach it in time (map 27). Also, secrets that open and close exactly once (BFG secret in 1monster map 20).

Or secrets which get locked forever if one explores the level in the “wrong” order. DTWID E2M5, for example, contains one secret area, with one line trigger required to unlock the secret exit on top of that, which will get locked forever just for approaching one area from the “wrong” side.

30 minutes ago, Ichor said:

Or secrets in general that get closed off if you don't reach it in time (map 27). Also, secrets that open and close exactly once (BFG secret in 1monster map 20).

Or TNT MAP32's supercharge secret, really annoying secrets these examples, I even forget that the MAP27 one exists sometimes because I'm so used to performing my rituals on IWAD runs (go to the same places and handle encounters in the exact same order).

-Unmarked exists

-Going into an area and being cut off from the rest of the map without any warning so you can't go back and get that soulsphere you were saving

-Archviles behind a mob of fucking pinkies

-Archviles teleporting in after you killed a dozen Mancubi and Barons and the newly resurrected fatasses keep cock blocking it soaking up all your ammo

-Turbo doors and rocket launcher. 'nuff said

-Revenants and their instagib homing missiles which turn on a dime and get you from behind even when you hide, and their lightning fast reactions. Honestly their missiles should be 60hp max.

-Large switch hunt maps, puzzles, crate mazes, and mazes in general

-1994 Tune-up Project Map 17. 

-> Lost Souls charging at you when you are using Rocket Launcher.

-> You dodge a imp fireball but it hits the barrel behind you.

-> Maps that does this:

8H0VM51.jpg

10 hours ago, Litrivin said:

Or secrets which get locked forever if one explores the level in the “wrong” order. DTWID E2M5, for example, contains one secret area, with one line trigger required to unlock the secret exit on top of that, which will get locked forever just for approaching one area from the “wrong” side.

Oh yeah I remember that, but that wasn't an annoying case though, there is an opportunity to get to that area before it closes, and unless you do what I did (ignore the area and go to another place) you'll possibly won't notice that it closes at some point. 

10 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

TNT MAP32's supercharge secret

I couldn't agree more...

- Homing rockets that do a perfect silent journey around the whole map and manage to crash into my back. And I think to myself, what a wonderful world... not...