Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HorrorMovieRei

Specific Things in Doom that annoy you

- Streams and FDAs: the map balance is overly generous with rockets; the player is at full capacity with lots of rocket boxes still everywhere. Yet they insist every time on switching to their chaingun with 8 bullets to finish off that mid-tier, and reflexively switch to an empty SSG/CG multiple times over the course of their play. Go ahead and spend a rocket gibbing that former human trooper. It said bad things about your mom. Let loose sometimes!

5 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

- Streams and FDAs: the map balance is overly generous with rockets; the player is at full capacity with lots of rocket boxes still everywhere. Yet they insist every time on switching to their chaingun with 8 bullets to finish off that mid-tier, and reflexively switch to an empty SSG/CG multiple times over the course of their play. Go ahead and spend a rocket gibbing that former human trooper. It said bad things about your mom. Let loose sometimes!

Heh, I guess that means I'd be one of the specific things in Doom that annoys you. :-P

7 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Heh, I guess that means I'd be one of the specific things in Doom that annoys you. :-P

As would I! Haha

cl9 Auto-switching from the fist when you pick up some ammo for a type you are empty on, edit: wherever this happens. Horrible. 

Edited by rdwpa

17 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

cl9 auto-switching from the fist when you pick up some ammo for a type you are empty on. Horrible. 

Wait... I'm not sure whether -cl2 does this, but this seems happened to me.

Eternity auto-switches like that, and I feel like it happens when using the pistol too. But that's probably a bad memory on my part. Usually it's a good thing for a casual playing on Hurt Me Plenty like me.

Having to do a lot of work-arounds for even the simplest "3D" structures when even modest, barebones 3D modeling programs can do the same thing in far fewer steps. In a way that's part of the charm of Doom modding (especially in vanilla or just limit-removing form), but it makes it a real pain in the ass to accomplish certain architectural feats.

When it looks like there's enough room over a ledge/through a window to fire a rocket through, and then the rocket grazes the bottom of the window/ledge, explodes, and hurts/kills you.

3 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

When it looks like there's enough room over a ledge/through a window to fire a rocket through, and then the rocket grazes the bottom of the window/ledge, explodes, and hurts/kills you.

Unfortunately, auto-aim seems to use the same algorithm as hitscan tracers. Since projectiles have a hitbox, however, they can't always go everywhere that hitscan tracers can, leading to some unfortunate consequences like this. Firing over windows or ledges, you are better off using the chaingun or pump shotgun, if possible.

I never use autoaim because of situations like that. I always use freelook and manual aiming because, even though it's not "traditional" to classic Doom gameplay tropes, I enjoy aiming and having control over where my projectiles go.

Okay, here's one -- Death by unforeseeably specific item-usage requirements

TNT map 14 (I think; "Steel Works") features at least two points where if you don't know what to do with a rad suit early on, and that includes not stopping for things it would be a good idea to stop for in many situations, you're extremely unlikely to survive.

Extra irritation points if the level isn't very challenging or interesting outside of that.

Even intentionally challenging campaigns are usually kind enough to hand you a few rad suits, and that's for areas with much less specific requirements for their usage.

I'm really, like, hating on TNT hard right now.

I hate and have never come to terms with the fact that I can't pick up a rifle even though every single fecking zombieman carries one.  Drives me mental!

1 hour ago, Average said:

I hate and have never come to terms with the fact that I can't pick up a rifle even though every single fecking zombieman carries one.  Drives me mental!

Whats even more frustrating is that the player sprite is carrying a rifle!

6 hours ago, Average said:

This is the one exact flaw I have with vanilla Doom (aside from zombies infighting with their own species). To this day I practically never play vanilla Doom without a rifle patch, and I've modded SmoothDoom to make its rifle better.

9 minutes ago, Rifle Infantry said:

This is the one exact flaw I have with vanilla Doom (aside from zombies infighting with their own species).

Right, 'cuz humans have never been known to fight amongst their own species. ;-)

15 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I guess you live up to your name. :p

I never could agree with the short ranged shotgun or big fat rotary-barrel chaingun as being standard issue weapons for all marines, and the plasma rifle seemed too futuristic and experimental to be in widespread service. The third person assault rifle fit the bill perfectly, though.

Right, 'cuz humans have never been known to fight amongst their own species. ;-)

The zombiemen, shotgun guys, and chain gunners all gleefully shoot each other if provoked, even if they're the same species, unlike every other monster. This ruins perfectly good zombie hordes in short order.

Also, I apologize for bad formatting; I'm on mobile.

2 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

the zombiemen, shotgun guys, and chain gunners all gleefully shoot each other if provoked, even if they're the same species, unlike every other monster. This ruins perfectly good zombie hordes in short order

Also Spider Masterminds, Lost Souls, and anything that uses misdirectable hitscan and melee attacks in general. In earlier versions of Doom, it was also possible for Pinkies and Spectres to infight regularly simply by taking advantage of their delayed attack, because it worked more like a short-range projectile attack.

I'm okay with shootable switches if they're telegraphed well enough. Like a clear target you can see from a conspicuous raised platform somewhere else.

If they'd be easily pushable and just happen to require shooting for no reason instead, that's sloppy design.

12 hours ago, Maes said:

In earlier versions of Doom, it was also possible for Pinkies and Spectres to infight regularly simply by taking advantage of their delayed attack, because it worked more like a short-range projectile attack.

To be specific, it worked more like a short-range hitscan attack ... because it was one, much like the player's melee weapons in all versions. Presumably, this was changed for consistency - iirc, this quirk was only for demons and spectres, and the other monster melee attacks used the simplified distance + line-of-sight check they use in the latest versions.

19 hours ago, Cipher said:

I'm okay with shootable switches if they're telegraphed well enough. Like a clear target you can see from a conspicuous raised platform somewhere else.

If they'd be easily pushable and just happen to require shooting for no reason instead, that's sloppy design.

I think this sort of thing's okay for revealing hidden areas or giving access to items etc, but is often essentially a 'secret', and shouldn't be mandatory in order to progress within a level. I've just played Twilight Warror and in one level a section of wall, which is virtually indistinguishable from the surrounding area, needs to be shot, otherwise that's it. In a particular level of Quake it's necessary to shoot the bloody floor for heaven's sake.....

Edited by Summer Deep

- Getting killed really fast even with berserk.

- Low ammo

- Land textures that do damage

- Go to some switch about a mile away and then go back using the same road.

- Puzzles 

- Pain Elemental Spam

- A sniper Mastermind

- Death exits

- Missing textures in wads.

- Getting stuck. How that happens ? With a lot of bad luck and bad map desing.

- A monster trap full of Chaingunners.

- Hidden Arch-Vile that keeps resurrecting everyone.

Probably some few more, cant remember. 

It actually low-key bothers me that Mancubi can shoot through corners and thin walls. I'm really bad at judging when that's going to happen.

When I'm covering from an archvile, and another unfriendly piece of garbage pushes me just in the millisecond the archie puts his hands together, resulting into a hurtful jump.