Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HorrorMovieRei

Specific Things in Doom that annoy you

I suppose this apply mainly to PWADs but ammo you're forced to grab. It mildly annoy me because i might prefer to leave them behind if i need them later. In fact, this apply to any items in the game.

>Have a soulsphere in front of you.

>You have 190 hp

>You decide to save it just in case

>Kill all monsters and pick up all items and secrets before going back to grab that soulsphere

>You realize that the area is not accessible anymore to grab that item

>Fuck.......

6 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Seeing no other way to access it, you vile jump, for a net gain of 10HP.

If you did the math before committing to the AVJ, you probably wouldn't have done the AVJ to begin with. ;-)

The imp that you must not kill in E1M3 of No End in Sight in order to grab the red key for the secret exit. The idea is very creative indeed , but goddamn frustrating because the first thing you do when you see  an imp is shooting at him !

10 minutes ago, Roofi said:

The imp that you must not kill in E1M3 of No End in Sight in order to grab the red key for the secret exit. The idea is very creative indeed , but goddamn frustrating because the first thing you do when you see  an imp is shooting at him !

One well-placed shell to the poor imp is all you need to negate the access to E1M9..... :(

Same thing happens when you need a pinky to unlock the door for you to the secret exit of map 15 in Community Chest 3 :/

7 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

>Have a soulsphere in front of you.

>You have 190 hp

>You decide to save it just in case

>Kill all monsters and pick up all items and secrets before going back to grab that soulsphere

>You realize that the area is not accessible anymore to grab that item

>Fuck.......

Alternatively, following on from point no 3, you spend another hour wandering around the level, pressing walls, studying the automap etc in a vain attempt to progress, before discovering that picking up the soul sphere is a mandatory requirement for such progression.

Damage variance (to degree it is implemented), melee attacks from completely different z-level, blockmaps and how weapon switching works (on pickup, switching back after getting ammo)

The weapon order in Classic Doom in the BFG Edition being completely and nonsensically fucked. Also allowing you to switch to weapons that have no ammo. Thank Satan for using the number keys, can't fathom how anyone with a controller manages.

18 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

The weapon order in Classic Doom in the BFG Edition being completely and nonsensically fucked. Also allowing you to switch to weapons that have no ammo. Thank Satan for using the number keys, can't fathom how anyone with a controller manages.

What weapon was after the BFG in that version? the SSG, right?

If so, then yeah....no sense in the order

I find weapon switches to unwanted weapons 90% as annoying when they are during quiet moments as when they are during inconvenient mid-fight moments. I don't want to switch to a SG or CG at all, ever, past the spawn, if it doesn't make sense to actually use those weapons in the vicinity of when they are picked up or in the level altogether. Ideal placement for such weapons: right under the spawn spot, or not too far away, before any fighting happens. Pick it up once, pick up a better weapon right afterwards, forget the SG or CG exists for rest of the map. No "I'm spamming the BFG now, I killed everything but I have to run over zombie corpses to get to the next area, switch to SG, switch back to BFG" awkwardness. It's not so much that that is the worst thing in the world, but that putting the weapon at the spawn is such a ridiculously effortlesss solution. 

9 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

> You see a soulsphere on a pillar.

> Seeing no other way to access it, you vile jump, for a net gain of 10HP.

> Next room has a secret teleporter to it.

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

If you did the math before committing to the AVJ, you probably wouldn't have done the AVJ to begin with. ;-)

xwV5wLI.png

Surprised this image still sees uses. (Calculator being powered by shotgun shells was a bit of an oversight, heh.) 

Edited by rdwpa

I'm slowly becoming annoyed at how, to my knowledge, no source-port has introduced a way to quickly scroll through weapons using the mouse wheel.  I.e. if I'm using an SSG and want to get the BFG out, I'd love to be able to scroll quickly up four times and have the BFG pop up as soon as the SSG is finishing whatever animation it's doing.  Kind of how Quake 3 does it.

Instead really you're forced to use the number keys (which I always miss-hit in the middle of a fight) as scrolling ponderously up through the weapons using the mousewheel just takes so long.

8 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I'm slowly becoming annoyed at how, to my knowledge, no source-port has introduced a way to quickly scroll through weapons using the mouse wheel.  I.e. if I'm using an SSG and want to get the BFG out, I'd love to be able to scroll quickly up four times and have the BFG pop up as soon as the SSG is finishing whatever animation it's doing.  Kind of how Quake 3 does it.

Instead really you're forced to use the number keys (which I always miss-hit in the middle of a fight) as scrolling ponderously up through the weapons using the mousewheel just takes so long.

is there no port that does this? since it's something really easy and intuitive.

i've mapped my weapons to the keys around wasd for this very reason.

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

What weapon was after the BFG in that version? the SSG, right?

If so, then yeah....no sense in the order

To be fair nu-Doom is also guilty of this, with a weapon selection that arranges itself in the order you find them, so the Chaingun becomes the last weapon in your inventory to cycle to. Yeah, pisses me off.

23 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I'm slowly becoming annoyed at how, to my knowledge, no source-port has introduced a way to quickly scroll through weapons using the mouse wheel.

You're wanting the way Wolf3D or Quake 1 does it, where it's instantaneous.

@Pirx That wasn't original behavior in Doom, so no port is going to introduce this as standard behavior. Though, it would be nice to see a 'fast weapon switch' as a toggle in a port.

9 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

You're wanting the way Wolf3D or Quake 1 does it, where it's instantaneous.

I think instant switching would undermine the gameplay of Doom too much - the slow switching of weapons is an integral part of the experience.

I was more meaning a way to quickly tell the game which weapon you want using the mousewheel.  In Q3 for example, if you memory serves me correctly, when you roll the mouse this UI comes up:

Q3WeaponSelect.PNG.2b48e1b94d16f35b5a0a3e1309ae6ae6.PNG

The yellow box scrolls left and right across the weapons as fast as you can scroll your mouse, and whichever you come to rest on the game selects for you.  The actual animation of switching weapons remains, it's just the selecting of the weapons that's faster.  I'd love to see something like this replicated in Doom.  

10 minutes ago, Bauul said:

The yellow box scrolls left and right across the weapons as fast as you can scroll your mouse, and whichever you come to rest on the game selects for you.  The actual animation of switching weapons remains, it's just the selecting of the weapons that's faster.  I'd love to see something like this replicated in Doom.  

In ZDoom ports, in only shows the name if you enable "Display Nametags" in the HUD options. I'd also like to see the icon added...

Torches are 32x32, even though they look like they are 16x16. This is a mapping mistake I see often. Torches like these all jut into the playspace and shouldn't be used like this. 

0G3Fmz3.png

5 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Oh yes I would... AV jumps are fun. ;-)

2 hours ago, rdwpa said:

xwV5wLI.png

Surprised this image still sees uses. (Calculator being powered by shotgun shells was a bit of an oversight, heh.) 

Is 38 shells enough to calculate 100 - 90? :thinking:

7 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Oh yes I would... AV jumps are fun. ;-)

I always kill the first Arch-vile in TNT MAP11 that spawns in outside, failing to realize each time I need him to AV-jump me onto the crate with the Megasphere on it. So I would remedy this by rocket jump mouse-aiming, like a twat.

Poor hit-detection while punching. Usually I wouldn't give a rat's ass (because I don't use the fist 99% of the time) but trying to beat this one person's time on the leaderboards is proving to be a gigantic pain in the ass. And to do so (or attempt to do so) I have to use a beserk pack and I keep failing. Or maybe I'm just terrible at using my punch/fist? I dunno. Regardless, there's poor hit detection with the fist, it seems.

4 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Torches are 32x32, even though they look like they are 16x16. This is a mapping mistake I see often. Torches like these all jut into the playspace and shouldn't be used like this. 

0G3Fmz3.png

Yeah. Thankfully altering their hitboxes with dehacked is trivial matter.

Having to wander through slime pits at low HP, and you've already used all the health pickups and envirosuits in the area.

13 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

Poor hit-detection while punching. Usually I wouldn't give a rat's ass (because I don't use the fist 99% of the time) but trying to beat this one person's time on the leaderboards is proving to be a gigantic pain in the ass. And to do so (or attempt to do so) I have to use a beserk pack and I keep failing. Or maybe I'm just terrible at using my punch/fist? I dunno. Regardless, there's poor hit detection with the fist, it seems.

Nah, hit detection likely differs from port to port, especially when it comes to punching.

This reminds me of punching Arachnotrons in Doom 64, god damn it eat the fist already. Either that or crap hitboxes, or both.

20 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

vanilla punching (inc boom+ ) is harder than in the g/zdoom ports

Yeah. In vanilla, for a melee hit to connect, you have to punch through the middle of the monster. That means that the wider the monster is, the harder it is to punch them. So a mancubus is harder to punch than a revenant. A spider mastermind is nearly impossible to punch or saw.

In ZDoom, you only need to connect with the side, so it's a lot easier to hit big fat monsters.

C H A I N G U N N E R S

Do I need to mention how many bloody times I've been either killed, crippled or harmed far to easily by this walking hitscan minigun on cocaine?