Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Posting some banned user's mods: allowed?

Let's suppose there's a user who just cannot behave well on the internet, but makes legit wads worth playing. In this case, are friends of that user allowed to post and talk about banned user's wads on Doomworld, as long as they themselves don't break forum rules (and the wads aren't troll wads)? Just so someone is banned from online discussions, but not from the modding community entirely.

I don't have such friends, but others do, and were concerned about this.

We've been talking about Brutal Doom long enough I would assume it's allowed. Seems pretty obvious to me there's no great desire to censor Doom mods, only personalities.

On past evidence I don't think it's allowed, no. I posted a few musical tracks a couple of years ago - on behalf of Sigvatr and his Hell Superior, no less - and picked up a warning for my troubles.

Can't find the post; I think it was helled.

I think it depends on how you present it kinda. At least that's the impression I got.

If you're like "hey guys this banned friend of mine wanted me to share this with you", it will look like posting on his behalf = thread closed.

But if that person, let's say, posts their content on another site and then you're like "hey guys check out this site with wads I found", that's probably OK...

Alfonzo said:

I posted a few musical tracks a couple of years ago - on behalf of Sigvatr and his Hell Superior, no less - and picked up a warning for my troubles.

That's abusive of the moderators, in my opinion. Assuming those creations have no hidden troll content, it's like the person is treated as "non grata".

And the justification that "it was posted on his behalf so it's still banned" is wrong, because someone else can always filter out the message to be community acceptable ("Hey, check out this banned guy's wads, they're fun").

Well I don't see why we should not play the maps of someone who can't behave, it's just the posts of said person we don't want.

Stormwalker has been banned for a few years but still uploads stuff to the archives, which we have afterward discussed on this forum. The rule of thumb appears to be not to post FOR the user, a difficult distinction perhaps when mods are still in development.

printz said:

That's abusive of the moderators, in my opinion. Assuming those creations have no hidden troll content, it's like the person is treated as "non grata".

That is literally what getting banned from a community means.

Memfis said:

Does anyone even remember what he was banned for?

Stormwalker would probably be in the "banned from Everything Else" crowd nowadays. It was entirely his non-Doom related posts.

Alfonzo said:

On past evidence I don't think it's allowed, no. I posted a few musical tracks a couple of years ago - on behalf of Sigvatr and his Hell Superior, no less - and picked up a warning for my troubles.

printz said:

I've got a distinct feeling the mods are treating Hell Superior as if it was warez.

HavoX said:

I've got a distinct feeling the mods are treating Hell Superior as if it was warez.

You're talking about an unfinished mod, right?

I don't think "banned from Doomworld" means "banned from idgames", and indeed the late Ty used to approve everything that respected some simple rules. If Sigvatr wanted people to have easy access to HS, he'd have put it on Doomworld years ago. Heck he still can. He also has ModDB available. And even the Nexus. Plus there's always the possibility of personal host, since Sigvatr used to have his own domain name where he hosted various things, including a webcomic. How can the Nefarious Doomworld Moderator Omerta Coverup Conspiracy ban him from using any of these non-Doomworld things to release HS? If HS isn't released, it's just because Sigvatr didn't release it. (Except for some WIP copies sent privately to some playtesters.)

Alfonzo said:

Can't find the post; I think it was helled.

If I'm not mistaken, Sigvatr added nasty shit or links to some of his zips, but I doubt you'd get a warning in response to posting stuff from people that might have behaved like assholes but otherwise not included anything offensive or illegal with their files.

Gez said:

You're talking about an unfinished mod, right?

I was just coming up with a theory...

Gez said:

If Sigvatr wanted people to have easy access to HS, he'd have put it on Doomworld years ago. Heck he still can.

If HS isn't released, it's just because Sigvatr didn't release it. (Except for some WIP copies sent privately to some playtesters.)

Except it wasn't finished. He said he was a perfectionist, so he had every right to not release it because of that.

What I'm getting here is, I'm still working on my mod, and it's still not finished. I can't show you anything because I'm a very secretive person and I cannot trust anyone to play-test my mod.
(Even if they did, they'd have to be under a VERY STRICT NDA.)

That is the reason I do my work on my own.

kmxexii said:

Stormwalker would probably be in the "banned from Everything Else" crowd nowadays. It was entirely his non-Doom related posts.

It seems like statistically, everything else is always the medium for which people get themselves banned. I'm scratching my head to think of anyone who was banned for what they post in other areas of the forum. Maybe some Terry copycats?

HavoX said:

I was just coming up with a theory...

Except it wasn't finished. He said he was a perfectionist, so he had every right to not release it because of that.

What I'm getting here is, I'm still working on my mod, and it's still not finished. I can't show you anything because I'm a very secretive person and I cannot trust anyone to play-test my mod.
(Even if they did, they'd have to be under a VERY STRICT NDA.)

That is the reason I do my work on my own.

I have no idea what your point is. One moment you're blaming Doomworld for suppressing Hell Superior ("treated like warez") and then when I point out it's not released because the author didn't release it, and not because of any Doomworld conspiracy, you explain to me that the author is a perfectionist who hasn't finished it yet? Well duh.

And then I have no idea whether you're quoting Sigvatr without quote marks or tags, or just likening his approach to your own, or you just revealed that you were Sigvatr in disguise all along.

40oz said:

It seems like statistically, everything else is always the medium for which people get themselves banned. I'm scratching my head to think of anyone who was banned for what they post in other areas of the forum. Maybe some Terry copycats?

Hock is a good example - he was banned for constantly failing to clarify use of TAS features and turbo in the demos forum. That said, some of the demos he worked on were posted on the forums after he was banned, and as far as I remember there were no concerns about it at the time. However, other previously banned/losered demo recorders have been limited to DSDA submissions only, though I'm not sure if there were any others banned for reasons related to demo recording.

40oz said:

It seems like statistically, everything else is always the medium for which people get themselves banned.

I'd say blogs are the leading cause of premature ban in the recent weeks. And contrary to popular belief, the most common exit for established members is going full retard in Losers. Señores Vordakk and Sigvatr included.

40oz said:

There was one dude recently, you might remember him, his name was Z e r t h e x

To possibly-clarify, there isn't any moratorium on mod discussion by banned users as far as I know, but the DW staff takes a particularly draconian stance on posting content directly from banned users (a.k.a. "posting by proxy"). Several years back after DTWiD's release, someone linked (or cross-posted?) a review of the mod by (coincidentally) Sigvatr, which got a bunch of posts split+locked because "Sigvatr can't post."

Presumably Alfonzo's anecdote falls under the same umbrella -- did this happen around the same time? I don't remember this one in particular.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
printz said:

Let's suppose there's a user who just cannot behave well on the internet, but makes legit wads worth playing

I am a complete jackass and the mods I do actually release are rarely worth playing, so I think we can consider this case closed