Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blasqen

Map feedback

Hey there, I made another small map for (G)ZDoom. I would like to make some more but I am not sure if the quality is worth it. I would like to have some feedback on it and see what people think. You need (G)Zdoom to play it (or any other port that supports UDMF). It replaces Doom 2 map01.

Screenshot:

Download here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=73389748847788965767

I know that I could have easily made this map in a classic Doom 2 or Boom format, but UDMF is just too convenient :P.

I played on UV and made it through without dying, but there were several tense moments, so that's good. I found the soulsphere (not before I found the exit switch), but not the other secret. I had fun! Some notes:

- There's quite a bit of obvious symmetry in the layout and the monster placement. Even slightly changing some of the sides, or putting different monsters on the corresponding sides would make it more interesting/surprising.

- Perhaps too generous with shells. I left the map with 50 shells and at least one box on the ground. Could replace some of the boxes with a few 4-shell drops maybe. This is also related to the gameplay style, where a lot of the threat comes from distant or high hitscanners, which caused me to favor the chaingun.

- Perhaps too much single-shotgunning of HKs, etc. I feel like the SSG was introduced at a good time, so maybe some of the HKs could be small groups of imps instead, or something.

Benjogami said:

I played on UV and made it through without dying, but there were several tense moments, so that's good. I found the soulsphere (not before I found the exit switch), but not the other secret. I had fun! Some notes:

- There's quite a bit of obvious symmetry in the layout and the monster placement. Even slightly changing some of the sides, or putting different monsters on the corresponding sides would make it more interesting/surprising.

- Perhaps too generous with shells. I left the map with 50 shells and at least one box on the ground. Could replace some of the boxes with a few 4-shell drops maybe. This is also related to the gameplay style, where a lot of the threat comes from distant or high hitscanners, which caused me to favor the chaingun.

- Perhaps too much single-shotgunning of HKs, etc. I feel like the SSG was introduced at a good time, so maybe some of the HKs could be small groups of imps instead, or something.

Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback man! I appreciate it a lot! Yeah, I might have been be too generous with the shells, but I'm always afraid of those people that are not as good and run out of ammo and then complain :P. But I will remove some ammo, because that's indeed way too much. OR perhaps introduce difficulty levels.

I was contemplating replacing the HKs in the slime area with the red key, but it is easy to skip at least one of them so I decided not to. But I will look again and maybe replace each HK with with 3 imps.