Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Brutal Doom 64 is up for an award at "The Game Awards"

I don't think any project out of the Doom community this year could hold a candle against something the size of Enderal and AM2R.
(Well, maybe Total Chaos could, but that's still in Alpha so it's not technically released yet)

Also, as a sidenote, Shadow Warrior 2 isn't anywhere on the entire list. Disgraceful.

Look, I think BD64 is a good mod, maybe even very good but I think there are so many other mods that deserve more recognition than BD64. I mean, it doesn't even have any new maps, aside from the starting cinematic one.

Mods like Ancient Aliens and Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony.

Maybe we should spam them with these two instead...

When it comes to gameplay mods, I would call D4D the one that deserves the top pole. Seems like that list was made by a fanboy or somebody who has no idea how many other Doom mods there are. =)

Officer D said:

When it comes to gameplay mods, I would call D4D the one that deserves the top pole. Seems like that list was made by a fanboy or somebody who has no idea how many other Doom mods there are. =)

It definitely has potential but it still needs a lot of work and ironing out. Once it's complete it will definitely be a worthy contender.

^ I can't find any major flaws tbh. Well, I disable most of the features anyway. Glory kills, custom monsters, MP weapons, etc.

Officer D said:

^ I can't find any major flaws tbh. Well, I disable most of the features anyway. Glory kills, custom monsters, MP weapons, etc.

A lot of the effect sprites are very resource intensive (even after tweaking them), are not really consistent with the low res graphics of the original game and it also has a few balancing issues. It's getting there but it needs more polish. It will be very interesting to see where it ends up in an year. For a mod this size, a few months is not really a lot of development time.

Gameplay has always been the most important aspect for me so I have no problems with the visuals. Although I do use visual mods to enhance the mod. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing the flaws. I agree with the balancing tho, but I've heard people complain about BD64's balancing as well.

This is how D4D looks for me btw:

Spoiler

These awards are basically popularity contests, kids.
Yeah, Brutal mods are tasteless chaff and their author is racist drama queen with no respect for other modders, but thing is - as far as mainstream gaming visibility goes, no other Doom mod is anywhere near comparable to BD.
And that visibility and popularity is what gets you nominated for awards like that one.

Well, I'm impressed BD64 made it to this list. Not saying that it didn't deserve it, but that was because popularity. Mods like D4D are more technically advanced, ant thus, better. At least 2 websites, these being Rock,Paper, Shotgun and Kotaku wrote articles about BD64's trailer and it's 1.0 release. D4D? No one wrote about it. We just got a Romero tweet with a link to D4D's 2.0 trailer saying '' A Doom 4 weapons mod for Classic Doom!''

Spoiler

Hey, Rock, Paper, Shotgun even wrote an article about Doom 4 Weapons for Brutal Doom.

Neutrino said:

[...]
Yeah, Brutal mods are tasteless chaff and their author is racist drama queen with no respect for other modders [...]

I'm sorry for being ignorant, but what's actually wrong with BD and its creator? The only legit reason I know for now is that its gameplay differs from original Doom a lot, though IIRC we have options to set to make it behave like Vanilla.

The creator was (is?) an asshat, which resulted in his banning from ZDoom and Zandronum forums (for reasons I won't mention). His mod needs a lot work, as his DECORATE is apparently the equivalent of spaghetti and a lot of the sprites and sounds are actually other peoples' work (especially the fatalities).

But let's not turn this into another BD shitfest.

I was hoping to see other great Doom mods mentioned there, I'm tired of the Brutal Doom fanboyism (seeing Brutal Doom nearly everywhere) .

That and people get upset when BD gets recognition outside the community while "insert favourite mod here that's objectively superior to BD" does not.

outside of the hardcore doom community, Brutal Doom is highly appraised. He made a Brutal Doom 64... I understand a lot of work went into Ancient Aliens and it's truely a wonderful megawad, But recognising the sheer amount of brutal doom fans, and people that haven't played Doom 64, this comes to me as no suprise. I don't understand why mark just doesn't go ahead and make a game of his own.

Alright, thank you - now I get the point of it.

Personally BDs aren't by its gameplay so bad, specifically if Vanilla weapons are used because modern doesn't amuse me at all. As BD64 doesn't introduce so much in contrast to D64 itself, I like to play on Hardcore or Survival Horror difficulties with pallete tonemap enabled (man, it's the best thing added in GZDoom ever, when combined with OpenGL features!). Most sounds bother me as well because some of them are too loud and not fitting.

For me Blade of Agony would better fit its place. Maybe Ancient Aliens as well - I just began to play it so can't tell right now. But that's why I don't bother to keep up with awards or overall news related to video games at all. We can't beat the popular shit whether it's good or not, because it's just popular. Like we can't understand the COD, BF etc fanboyism.
Still, I don't mean BD64 is bad.

DooM_RO said:

Look, I think BD64 is a good mod, maybe even very good but I think there are so many other mods that deserve more recognition than BD64. I mean, it doesn't even have any new maps, aside from the starting cinematic one.

Mods like Ancient Aliens and Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony.

Maybe we should spam them with these two instead...

This. As much as I'd toss my detailed disdain for BD, I will simply vote for something that's not BALLSTOTHEWALLGOREFILLEDEDGY, like Ancient Aliens as mentioned or that BoA mod.

BD64 simply does not deserve this excessive praise.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I was hoping to see other great Doom mods mentioned there, I'm tired of the Brutal Doom fanboyism (seeing Brutal Doom nearly everywhere) .

You're not the only one. So where do I vote for Ancient Aliens or Valiant?

And why do these "awards" not dig deeper than what is popular on the surface in our community?

Eh, that has been bothering me too. There is SOME coverage of modding communities and their fruits on sites like RPS or PC Gamer, as well as some multiplatform ones, but it is pretty limited and more often than not it boils down to either those mods that already have mainstream popularity or something that catches writer's eye for being unusual and/or funny ("Look, a Seinfeld themed map", "Look, this guy spent hundreds of hours on a single map" etc...).

Considering the size of certain modding communities and the playerbase they attract, you'd think that there wouldn't be a need for us to ask these sites to "dig deeper".

Something like Ancient Aliens, despite its technical and creative achievements, is just not relevant to the wider gaming community, but Brutal Doom 64 certainly is. Even though Ancient Aliens got some coverage from the mainstream gaming press, I'm sure most readers were like "that looks pretty neat, don't remember Doom having colors like that, heh!" On the other hand, there are definitely going to be lots of people interested in replaying Doom 64 on PC with "modern" features.

You can be like "psst hey cmere guy lemme show you a REAL Doom mod" all you want, and even if you're somehow able to convey how cool it is, it's just not going to be relevant to them.

I don't care what is relevant to wider community. Brutal Doom 64 is just as mediocre as BD itself and Ancient Aliens is a work of modding art. Hell, even Toilet of the gods (which deserves better recognition, because it's great) would suite that nomination more than .wad (IN MY OPINION) that screw up whole game.

I suspect it might be down to the fact that the wider Brutal fan base is native to ModDB. Whatever the reason, they can like what they want to like. I'll stick with what I like, and so long as we're all leaving each other alone, I'll be happy.

I'm just gonna say there are plenty of other far better Doom wads that were released this year, both gameplay mods and mapsets. I don't mean that as a slight but lets be real, the award is for the name more than anything else, that much is obvious when compared to contemporary releases.

Unholypimpin said:

I'm sure its only because of bd's cult following

It is most definitely.

What about D4D? That deserves some sort of nomination, right? Months of work and detailing into such a great mod. The 2.0 release is even better!

Side note, I find BD as a fun mod, but the code IS messy to me. And he needs to get to work on fixing a lot of these bugs that cause the mod to not load.

Neutrino said:

Eh, that has been bothering me too. There is SOME coverage of modding communities and their fruits on sites like RPS or PC Gamer, as well as some multiplatform ones, but it is pretty limited and more often than not it boils down to either those mods that already have mainstream popularity or something that catches writer's eye for being unusual and/or funny ("Look, a Seinfeld themed map", "Look, this guy spent hundreds of hours on a single map" etc...).

Considering the size of certain modding communities and the playerbase they attract, you'd think that there wouldn't be a need for us to ask these sites to "dig deeper".

Clicks are the only thing that matters to gaming news sites (or the online media in general), and the mod that generates the most clicks is Brutal Doom, hence they almost exclusively report on that.

When they're feeling adventurous however they'll also sometimes report on gimmicks like the Seinfeld wad or Grezzo 2, as long as it's outrageous of course.
This of course leaves Ancient Aliens and many other similar megawads in a very bad spot, because despite being projects of very high quality, they just aren't gimmicky and flashy enough to generate views.

Jesus all of Mark's work, although clearly has its flaws gets judged harshly on Doom world. It gets the trump treatment with all those haters.

Come on people, let's make Doom great again!

Chezza said:

Come on people, let's make Doom great again!

We are trying, but people keep posting about Brutal Doom. :V